MSDNAA Vista, retail or oem?

as said in the title. which version of vista did msdnaa give out. i got the business from my school's msdnaa, but i'm wondering if this is oem or retail.

It gives you an Academic/ MSDNAA version. Read the EULA that you agreed to when accessing MSDNAA and you will see the limitations associated with it. While they may have changed since I got my WinXP versions, they are likely along these lines:
  • Unlimited reinstalls (on a single machine?) while a student
  • No more updates or installs after graduating
  • No time limitation for running the install that was a done before graduation.

So it is a more limited oem version.

Special licensing provisions apply in addition to the general EULA used for either OEM or Retail. The license is really neither of those, as it is a volume licensing scheme.

The situation is better in countries which offer the 'Academic Upgrade Edition' as a retail product. You pay for that one, but at a greatly reduced price. Currently here in australia, for example, that alternative is offered for Vista Home Premium and Office Pro 2007. The license for that is basically a retail license with the added restriction that you can't use it for commercial purposes.

so i can only have unlimited install when i'm a student? this is US version of vista that i got from msdnaa

so i can only have unlimited install when i'm a student? this is US version of vista that i got from msdnaa

Depending on the license that your school has and that you agreed to when downloading it from MSDNAA, your limitations may be for one or more installs on one or more computers. I would be very surprised if the license allowed for an install after your graduation.

Back