MSI 4890 Cyclone's Fan Died

Wendig0

Gawd
I noticed that my card was idling at 79ºC and opened my case and sure enough the fan had stopped working.

I recently bought this from newegg.com so I can still return it and get a replacement. I have some options though..

1) Pay for shipping and other fee's that newegg may have and go through the RMA. (Which also means no computer time for at least a week or so :()

2) Buy an aftermarket heat sink.

What would you guys do?? I was definitely going to overclock it to around 1000MHz also.

I noticed that my card was idling at 79ºC and opened my case and sure enough the fan had stopped working.

I recently bought this from newegg.com so I can still return it and get a replacement. I have some options though..

1) Pay for shipping and other fee's that newegg may have and go through the RMA. (Which also means no computer time for at least a week or so :()

2) Buy an aftermarket heat sink.

What would you guys do?? I was definitely going to overclock it to around 1000MHz also.

Aftermarket heatsink wouldn't cost you much more. I can't really recommend you anything because I have no idea which heat sinks are good on GPU's anymore. All I remember is the Accelero rocked for 8800gt's, haha.

Just make sure it doesn't void your warranty (unless you're okay with that). As far as I know, the only companies who allow you to mod the card are XFX (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Eh, I couldn't really find anything about an MSI warranty. Now I'm thinking of just replacing it with another cyclone or refund and get an XFX. I wish I would have gone with the xfx initially. :|

Aftermarket heatsink wouldn't cost you much more. I can't really recommend you anything because I have no idea which heat sinks are good on GPU's anymore. All I remember is the Accelero rocked for 8800gt's, haha.

Just make sure it doesn't void your warranty (unless you're okay with that). As far as I know, the only companies who allow you to mod the card are XFX (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

XFX and EVGA are the only ones.. as long as you put the stock heatsink back on the EVGA cards.. they will take it.. you could do the same thing with a BFG but you have to hope when you take the stock heatsink off that the original thermal grease stays on the heatsink.. thats mostly what they look for to see if you ran an aftermarket cooler..

Back