MSI 6600GT fan = noisy or quiet?

SKYY

2[H]4U
What the title says, basically. I'm getting the PCI-express version. Doe it come with one of those variable-RPM fans that seem quiet at first, but quickly spool up to tornadic speeds after a minute of gaming? Or, will I never hear it in an otherwise silent computer case?

If it's noisy, what replacement HSF would you guys recommend? Nothing too fancy, maybe $30 max. Does Zalman make good VGA HSF units?

Thanks.

Anandtech has the article for you. Lots of PCI-E 6600GTs compared.

Zalman VF700 series is always recommended if you want lower noise and temps.

_Korruption_ said:
Anandtech has the article for you. Lots of PCI-E 6600GTs compared.

Zalman VF700 series is always recommended if you want lower noise and temps.
I've read that article numerous times. I want your opinions, not Anand's. :)

Thanks for the HSF recommendation.

No, it's not a variable RPM-fan.

Reviews says it's very quiet, but I need to test it myself to be sure. Maybe in some days....

Yeah, if it's like every other video card fan, I'll probably end up ripping it out and draping an 80mm fan underneath the card blowing up at the sinks. It's a great solution to the noise and cooling problem.

i have a MSI 6600GT now and I can't hear it at all even with the side of the case off. Now the one thing I do here is the damn north bridge fan running at 8k rpms...

Wow, just got my card in the mail. This sink is definitely copper! Looks pretty nice, for a stock heat sink. Too bad I won't be able to test it until Tuesday at the earliest. I'm still waiting on my motherboard, RAM, and PSU. :(

If your worried about sound get the Gigabyte it does not sue the Fan it uses silent pipeline its a GigaByte 6600GT turbo force edition which come 515/1120 Stock with VIVO and pretty good software package aswell, i got one and it's great :)

Back