msi 6600gt

look around a little more.. I wouldnt settle for an MSI.
GDDR3 and DDR3 are the same thing.
The (G) stands for Graphics (Graphics Double Data Rate Generations 3).

ishmiael said:
look around a little more.. I wouldnt settle for an MSI.
GDDR3 and DDR3 are the same thing.
The (G) stands for Graphics (Graphics Double Data Rate Generations 3).

u wouldnt settle for an MSI??.. u obviously do not know anything about them.

6600gt is best bang for the buck. for your budget it's absoulutely no brainer.
also MSI version on that comes with the best heatsink out of all of them.
i'll take that before listening to a "n00bie".

not sure if this is for the pci-e versions only, but ive seen a couple posts of people complaining about an uneven heatsink contact with the msi's pci-e ones. dont quote me, but i think there was a review at anandtech, and they also had problems with the sink. i dont own the msi, but just going by what ive read. the msi heatsink does look better than average though. leadtek seems to be a popular one. i have the asus version, and the sink is on the wimpy side. the msi looks like a sweet card though, and vivo would be nice. seems popular on the egg too.

Well i just got one, and the heatsink is not put on very well. It moves from left to right. Minimal pressure (e.g. the amount required to hold it) on the top of the heatsink causes the bottom to pop off the GDDR.

That said, my question is when you bought your card (assuming you got it mail order) was it shrink wrapped?

I just got one form Zipzoomfly that was not, and after saying they would refund the my money and pay for return shipping, they're now saying they'll do that if they determine it was opened before I got it (which means they'll do a full refund if they feel like it).

Unless MSI tells me that my card is an older revision, and there's a newer well secured heatsink on the PCIE cards, I seriously doubt that I'd order another.

well, as an owner of the MSI 6600gt (AGP flavor, not the PCI-E) I am VERY pleased with my purchase and I would encourage anyone to get this over practically any other 6600gt agp (BFG or Leadtek would be good choices too, I think) The HSF mounting is solid in my view, no problems speeding up the ram to match the XFX card (1ghz instead of 900mhz) and its nice and quiet (not silent, but better than reference) Go ahead and get the MSI, mine turned out great (I also ordered from zipzoomfly)

If I were in the market for a 6600GT, I'd pick up either the Leadtek, because of my excellent history with them, or the xfx, which has had relatively few problems with any of their cards. Both have a reasonably quiet fan, and the XFX runs with the same 1000mhz memory clock as the MSI.

avoid the XFX 6600GT...i posted about them a while ago for a friend...he ordered one which came DOA, and apparently a lot of other people have had problems with them as well.

ddogunl said:
well, as an owner of the MSI 6600gt (AGP flavor, not the PCI-E) I am VERY pleased with my purchase and I would encourage anyone to get this over practically any other 6600gt agp (BFG or Leadtek would be good choices too, I think) The HSF mounting is solid in my view, no problems speeding up the ram to match the XFX card (1ghz instead of 900mhz) and its nice and quiet (not silent, but better than reference) Go ahead and get the MSI, mine turned out great (I also ordered from zipzoomfly)

kudos.

I don't own a MSI 6600 GT, but my FX 5600 is an MSI which has never given me any problems, so I trust them as a company. Other brands of 6600 GT I have read many good things about the BFG version, and the Asus one.

I thought Asus had problems lying about their card's memory?

BFB > eVGA > Leadtek > XFX > PNY > MSI

I'd switch pny and msi around. pny is complete crap and i hate that company for various DOA reasons. Don't buy them unless you cannot find anything else. If you have to, buyer beware.

I thought Asus had problems lying about their card's memory?

That may very well be true, I have not heard of that issue if it has happened, but I am not up to date on certain things. If it was mentioned on this forum, that will probably be why, I haven't been on in many days. I hope it isn't a problem Asus is aware of and not fixing, I have respect for that comapny which would be questioned if that were true.

Well I was just comming over to post my MSI 6600GT problems and rants, and yes, the heatsink looks like it barely has enough pressure to make contact with the card. If I push very lightly on the bottom of it, the heatsink comes off the memory, and it feels like that there is a smidge of a gap between the sink and the memory anyway, not to mention that I'm having problems running 3D applications with it (maybe overheating?)

But i have to say that I confirm what the guy above says about the heatsink being completely true. It sucks.

bountyhunter said:
(as in "not picking something w/ problems")

bluedodgy8ok.gif

Back