MSI 8800gtx oc

azure

Limp Gawd
I haven't owned nvidia card since my old trusty chaintech ti 4600 (been through 4 ati upgrades) and am looking at nvidia cards again. I have read good things about the evga and even the xfx, but what about MSI? What type of warranty and support do they have? The price at newegg looks good etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127281

Can they use any drivers? Is there anything special about them?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I plan on making the purchase tomorrow.

I went ahead and bought it a week ago. It seems like every other GTX out there, fast, big and warm. Haven't tryed OC yet because I really dont need to since im gettitng above 60fps in all games I play. If anything wrong happends MSI has a 3 year warrenty and Newegg still offers its Standard Return Policy so your covered with them for a full year. I see no reason not to give it a go ;)

EVGA and XFX both have practically the same warranties that are BOTH lifetime and BOTH allow for you to install aftermarket coolers and to overclock beyond stock. I am not so sure about MSI's warranty policy other than that it is 3 years. Also EVGA has a stepup program that allows for you to tradeup your videocard if a new one comes out or if you want to upgrade to a better stock model within 90 days of your purchase date.

Exact same price as the MSI but not OC'd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130072

I never keep videocards for over 3 years anyway so a lifetime warrenty wasn't needed for me.

*shrugs*

Yes, but the beauty of it is if you keep your card for lets say 2 years and you have an 8800GTX, evga's policy is never to downgrade you so if they dont have the 8800GTX anymore they will upgrade you to a new card that is comparable in performance. :D

Honestly being able to take off the HSF without voiding my warranty was the most important thing. Once you see how much goop was put on the core you will understand.

I haven't owned nvidia card since my old trusty chaintech ti 4600 (been through 4 ati upgrades) and am looking at nvidia cards again. I have read good things about the evga and even the xfx, but what about MSI? What type of warranty and support do they have? The price at newegg looks good etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127281

Can they use any drivers? Is there anything special about them?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I plan on making the purchase tomorrow.

Thats a good card the factory overclock is very nice, also remember that it is PCI express and if your motherboard doesnt have a PCI express slot, then you going to have to basically upgrade all your main components in your system i.e mobo , ram , processor (depending on the generation) other than that man you should be gtg,

Like other people on hardforums I would also suggest looking at EVGA's deals they have a step up program that is nice.

I went ahead an decided on the MSI- it has a factory oc and it was 10 bucks less than the standard clocked evga. If the oc'd evga had been in stock i would have picked up that card.

I hope I don't have any problems with the card.

I'll let everybody know how it goes.

you should be gtg man MSI makes good products all the stuff I have ever bought from them is still kicking.

Honestly being able to take off the HSF without voiding my warranty was the most important thing. Once you see how much goop was put on the core you will understand.

Just curios, is it a lot or a little? and is it worth putting AS5 on it?

This weekend bites - it means I don't get my card till Tuesday due to the holiday (fedex won't deliver on Monday).

I haven't been able to find any reviews on this particular card - the only interesting item I found was that this card has the same bios as the watercooled version of the 8800gtx from msi.

Being back to Nvidia for the first time since my old ti 4600 - where is the best forum for information - kinda like rage3d for ati? Best place for drivers etc?

Of course my first stop is this site.

I recieved the MSI 8800gtx oc ( core 610 memory 2000 effective)

My impressions - install was easy - the card is big but I have a large case.

I updated the drivers - ran 3dmark 05 and 06. I realise they don't mean anything, but I wanted to see how they look vs how they looked on my old x1900xtx. It scored very well and looked smooth.

I then proceeded to have issues with the last several versions of forceware drivers because I could not get the driver to save on 1:1 etc for bf2142 with my 2 month old dell 24inch rev 4 lcd.

I managed to get it to work by finding some ancient drivers 98. something.

I then proceeded to max all settings on bf2142 and have smoother gameplay than my x1900xtx at mostly medium settings.
I will play again and check the framerate with the command line.

The card averages about 59c at idle (according to core cell software) and 69 or 70 c

Back