MSI Armor 1080 ti overclock question

Xenozx

2[H]4U
OK, so I picked up a 1080 TI MSI Armor, and i had a 1080 FTW before the TI. On my FTW i would just set the power limit to max and then overclock +100 core +500 mem and was good to go. for the most part i dont think the FTW ever got near the temp limit of 90c.

well fast forward to the MSI Armor 1080ti. At first I did the same thing, and I was able to get up to like 130+ core and 600+ mem. Only issue is in games and stuff, it will get right up to the temp limit of 90c and go from 89/90.

Now I benchmarked like that, and got 95.4 fps in heaven benchmark at 1440p maxed w/ 8x aa.

then I set the power limit/ temp limit from 117/90 to 100/80 and sure enough it runs way cooler and fan speed stays below 100, and I get the exact same 95.4fps???? I didnt modify the overclock though, I left both runs at 100+ core and 600+ mem.

so what exactly is upping the power limit / temp limit doing, if the boost clock seems to be the same in both scenerios?

Your scores are about the same because with the higher overclock(temp/power limit) the card is throttling more due to reaching its tdp. I have 2 980 Ti's and I actually scored lower with max overclock versus a mild overclock. You can compensate for this by adjusting your fan curve, but if seems as you are already reaching the ceiling on that MSI card due to the chip you got + the cooling design on that particular model. Just set a good fan curve that balances noise to performance and enjoy the card! My 2 FTW3's will hopefully be here bu the first week of May! Can't wait :woot:

Back