MSI Big Bang-XPower Motherboard Sneak Peek

Capacitors store energy. ANY capacitor that experiences a short will give you a "pop/bang". It isn't the capacitor that is shorting out, it is the circuit.

Try working on tube TV's for a while. You'll learn what a Stored Charge is one day.:confused:

Nice sneak peek Kyle.
How's it benching? Any early comments before you release the review?
This thing is looking sweet - Definitely looking hard at this one vs. the R3E!

Did it sell out already or has the holding page just been there?

I think they ran out already. I bought mine last night but it is still sitting in "Charged" status, I hope they didn't over sell.

EDIT: Never mind it just shipped.

Last edited:
Damnit. I need one right now... Have a MB that needs to be RMA'd

When can we expect a review Kyle? I'll take pics and post some stuff up if it's not up by the time mine gets here...

Well, the board showed up! The white SATA ports are like the other ports and not like what Kyle showed in the video. The board rev is 1.1 so that must be were the change came in. Now if my other parts would just hurry and get here I could start building this thing.

Well, the board showed up! The white SATA ports are like the other ports and not like what Kyle showed in the video. The board rev is 1.1 so that must be were the change came in. Now if my other parts would just hurry and get here I could start building this thing.

Mine is sitting at the UPS hub 10 minutes away, they won't let me come get it. Nice. Waiting until Monday.

Mine is sitting at the UPS hub 10 minutes away, they won't let me come get it. Nice. Waiting until Monday.

Nice!

I think mine might have a problem as it wont post with the memory in the 1st tri-channel slots (the blue ones)

I think mine might have a problem as it wont post with the memory in the 1st tri-channel slots (the blue ones)
Will it refuse to post with all the slots occupied, or just if the blue slots are used? Some boards require you to use a specific set of slots first.

Nice!

According to the manual you are supposed to use the black slots first.

According to the manual you are supposed to use the black slots first.

See what I get for not RTFM 'ing it :D.

Everything was fine when I moved it to the black ones I just got out of control trying to put it together since its been 4+ since I built a PC for myself.

Loading a game now to finally try the new system out.

See what I get for not RTFM 'ing it :D.

Everything was fine when I moved it to the black ones I just got out of control trying to put it together since its been 4+ since I built a PC for myself.

Loading a game now to finally try the new system out.

glad to hear this since I couldn't stop my mouse clicking finger from ordering one of these. It should be coming in on Tuesday:D

glad to hear this since I couldn't stop my mouse clicking finger from ordering one of these. It should be coming in on Tuesday:D

I know the feeling. Couldn't hold out for the [H] to get their review posted. So far so good.

Mine will be here tomorrow, finally - UPS can suck a dong. I'll get it up and running right away. What kind of tricks are you wanting to learn?

Just some good manual settings for o/c

Well, I'll let you know what settings I run as soon as I get it dialed in - I'm interested to see how high the 'OC genie' will take it automatically.

Well, I'll let you know what settings I run as soon as I get it dialed in - I'm interested to see how high the 'OC genie' will take it automatically.

On my 980x it took it to 3.9GHz. I did not spend a lot of time with it OC'ed just launched CPU-Z to check the OC and powered back down and turned it off. I know not a lot of help but dang family interfering in hardware land:D

On my 980x it took it to 3.9GHz. I did not spend a lot of time with it OC'ed just launched CPU-Z to check the OC and powered back down and turned it off. I know not a lot of help but dang family interfering in hardware land:D

Well, I know this chip will do 4.2 stable at the minimum - so we will see how good this board is!

I hope it's okay to ask questions about this board in this thread. I spend the last several hours putting the new system together, only to have no boot whatsoever in the end. I'll spend tomorrow troubleshooting, but first things first I will list the components.

Motherboard: MSI Big Bang XPower
Case: Antec P183
Video Card: XFX 5850
Memory: GSkill Ripjaw (Model F3-12800CL7D) (Timing: 7-8-7-24-2N, Voltage: 1.65V)
PSU: Corsair 750 HX (Modular)
CPU: i7-920
Heatsink/fan: Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro v.2.
HD: Seagate 320gb (New one soon)

A few questions on the board. Is it required to plug in the additional PCI-e 6-pin connector? If so, is it okay to use a 4-pin molex to 6 pin method? There are 4 PCIx that are dedicated for video cards, and I'm currently only using 2 for the 5850. However, since I plan on crossfire in the future, I figured I would do the 4-6 pin method. Has anyone else tried this? I'm just not sure if it's a requirement or not, the manual is vague.

I am using the black memory slots, 3 occupied, although I do have an addition 6gb when the system is up and running.

For the 8-pin connector I am using the #2 and not the #3. I don't believe the manual specified which. Although I could use another of the given pci-x connectors coming from the psu as it is actually an 6+2, but I didn't know if that was safe to do or not.

Also, what is the 8 pin connector to the left of where the front panel connectors go (JFP1)? I looked in the manual and I guess I missed that. (JSPI1)

Any tricks you guys had to do to get it going would be appreciated.

using a molex to 6 pin is ok - DONT use a pci-e connector on the 8 pin, they are a different layout and it will toast the board!

I think I got a bad board :( I'll post, but no matter what I can't get into windows even with one stick, reinstalling windows now... Hopefully that's the culprit

Edit: reinstalled, running 12gb again - still doesn't like XMP though lol

I did have a quick question for you guys, do your processor phase leds stay all lit or do they fluctuate?

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question, but the xfx supplied 4 pin to 6 pin connectors actually have 2-4pin > 6 pin. I assume I only have to plug in one of the 4 pin molex and the other is just if I wanted to hook something else up to it? Also I noticed that those particular 6 pin actually only utilizes 5 of the 6 holes, whereas the PCI-e 6 pins utilize all 6 of the 6 holes.

So as far as the 8 pin connectors, it doesn't matter which on the board I use? I think I used the top one (closest to the top of the case).

I have a few things I need to get done tonight, but I'll try that 6 pin tomorrow and hope it actually boots.

This is probably a dumb question, but the xfx supplied 4 pin to 6 pin connectors actually have 2-4pin > 6 pin. I assume I only have to plug in one of the 4 pin molex and the other is just if I wanted to hook something else up to it?
No, you must connect two molex connectors to the adapter for it to work.

This is probably a dumb question, but the xfx supplied 4 pin to 6 pin connectors actually have 2-4pin > 6 pin. I assume I only have to plug in one of the 4 pin molex and the other is just if I wanted to hook something else up to it? Also I noticed that those particular 6 pin actually only utilizes 5 of the 6 holes, whereas the PCI-e 6 pins utilize all 6 of the 6 holes.

So as far as the 8 pin connectors, it doesn't matter which on the board I use? I think I used the top one (closest to the top of the case).

I have a few things I need to get done tonight, but I'll try that 6 pin tomorrow and hope it actually boots.

Those adapters are missing a ground I suspect, should still work fine. As for the 8 pin connectors I am only using the top one at this point with no problems. I am going to look around for a molex to 8-pin adapter. I don't see that really being an issue, I'm sure it's there for a reason but I would suspect you would have to have a pretty serious overclock.

using a molex to 6 pin is ok - DONT use a pci-e connector on the 8 pin, they are a different layout and it will toast the board!

I think I got a bad board :( I'll post, but no matter what I can't get into windows even with one stick, reinstalling windows now... Hopefully that's the culprit

Edit: reinstalled, running 12gb again - still doesn't like XMP though lol

I did have a quick question for you guys, do your processor phase leds stay all lit or do they fluctuate?

The board has 2 8 pin CPU power contectors. I only have 1 pluged in and it works. If I want to plug in 2 where does it come from with a corsair 750HX unless I use a PCI?

Okay so both 4 pin connectors get plugged in from the PSU and then that 6 pin will go into the board itself. Check.

Maybe there is a 2x4pin to 8 pin adapter? Like the 2x4 pin to 6 pin adapters that came with my 5850. Otherwise I assume some higher end PSU's would have more than one native to the power supply.

For you Race301.

I just started to build up a system with this board as well. Got it posted and into windows on an install from a different board, but probably going to do a fresh install to be safe. I was disappointed to see MSI did not include a 3 way sli bridge with the board, as it will be running 3 GTX 285's. Guess I'm gonna experiment with using a combination of their included soft bridges.

So far this thing seems pretty solid, the OC genie is nice if you don't know how to overclock but it does some strange shit settings wise.

I'm back at 4.0 just by bumping cpu volt to 1.24 and ddr 1.65, set memory to 1900 - haven't messed with anything else so far but it looks promising.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1255614

Although speed step is driving me insane and I haven't found where in the bios the shutoff is. (NM, it's in processor features submenu)

Last edited:
So far this thing seems pretty solid, the OC genie is nice if you don't know how to overclock but it does some strange shit settings wise.

I'm back at 4.0 just by bumping cpu volt to 1.24 and ddr 1.65, set memory to 1900 - haven't messed with anything else so far but it looks promising.
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1255614

Although speed step is driving me insane and I haven't found where in the bios the shutoff is. (NM, it's in processor features submenu)

Did you plug in 2 8 pin power in CPU?

Anyone have an issue with the front panel connectors? According to 2-17 of the manual it says the Power LED is supposed to occupy 2+ and 4-. Thus only 2 slots, but my Power LED occupies 3 slots. I have all of them with the text of the plug description facing up.

Each of my plugs has a small triangle which I assume means the positive connection? All of them have one color and then black. So Triangle = positive, and black = negitive.

I have an Antec p183 case.

Well this is kind of strange, if anyone could check on theirs - if I adjust my QPI voltage at all up or down, anything outside of auto even stock volts it will not post. There's a new bios (the bios update from the bios screen is awesome) not sure if that has something to do with it.

Right now on auto it's running 1.59 which is strangely high after my last board

They are sending a new one out overnight... Hopefully it doesn't do the same.

Last edited:
Anyone have an issue with the front panel connectors? According to 2-17 of the manual it says the Power LED is supposed to occupy 2+ and 4-. Thus only 2 slots, but my Power LED occupies 3 slots. I have all of them with the text of the plug description facing up.

Each of my plugs has a small triangle which I assume means the positive connection? All of them have one color and then black. So Triangle = positive, and black = negitive.

I have an Antec p183 case.

No, front connectors working fine - are you using the 'm-connect' things? The yes the black would be negative.

Those of you needing 2 ATX 8-pin connections could try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198019

I tried a few different combination with JPWR2 and JPWR3: 2 connected, 3 disconnected; 2 and 3 connected (8pin split into 2x 4pin); just found an 8pin to 8pin+4pin and running that now. All three of these configs worked. I noticed the board came with 'blocks' over jpwr2 and jpwr3 in the first 4 pins that had to be removed.

Back