MSI Eclipse X58 Sneak Peek @ [H]

Nice board and as always nice mini video review. Looks like a contender but so did the asus p6t you previewed last week. Why would someone pick this one over one of the asus boards. My understanding is, there will be quite a few boards to chose from at launch.

Also I realize this is a little early but, when will we see an actual review of CI7 seeing as you guys have had 1 or more sitting at your disposal for quite a while now. When does the offical NDA lift?

Oh and no retail price mentioned? I noticed the same thing with the asus preview. is there some clause that the board makers allow you to disclose some information about the board but not all and no price? I'm just a little suprised no price was mentioned, since I know I can't be the only one clamoring about how hard these baords will hit our wallets.:p

P.S. Kyle you seem to be getting more comfortable on camera with each video released. Good stuff dude. :)

Nice looking board.

But i still dont think there is no point in buy I7 for us gamers. Plus it will be very expensive.:(

Nice looking board.

But i still dont think there is no point in buy I7 for us gamers. Plus it will be very expensive.:(

That all depends on what you are currently running. Look at my sig would you go for a I7 system or a dead socket 775 at this point and this close to launch? Think about it.

Nice preview. This means Im 2 generations behind now with my P35 huh? Nice practical features theyre adding like the power switch on the board and CMOS access from the back I/O panel. The LCD is pretty cool, Im sure well see mods where its wired to unused 5.25 bay covers.

That all depends on what you are currently running. Look at my sig would you go for a I7 system or a dead socket 775 at this point and this close to launch? Think about it.

Good point.

Most definitely the Core i7 considering the launch is near, there is no point in buying LGA 775 when a new socket is coming out near by.

But i still dont know if it will offer anything better gaming wise. Maybe its good for us non OCers?

I have: Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66Ghz

Evga 680i SLi board

EVGA 8600 GTS(getting a 9800 GTX)

WD Caviar 160 GB HDD(also have a seagate HDD)

OCZ Stealthxstream 600W PSU

Dude, I just built an Asus AM2 5000+ Black edition, Asus EN9600GT System for my Son, and I've got to say, I'm Incredibly Impressed at its Quickness. By all Means, Sit on the Fence, Chill Out, and have a Beer! Wait for the Benchies, Smoke a Big Bone, Play some COD4, or Whatever, and Smile, all the way to the Bank. It's Paid for, and still works Great, Case Settled.

Also I realize this is a little early but, when will we see an actual review of CI7 seeing as you guys have had 1 or more sitting at your disposal for quite a while now. When does the offical NDA lift?

At one point in the video, I think he let out that we'll know more later next month..... (it was when he was discussing triple-channel DDR3 memory).

This is surprising that several places are doing the sneak-peeks of motherboards based around a new CPU (I never saw this back when Core 2 Duo came out -- though granted Intel already had the LGA-775 socket).

This is surprising that several places are doing the sneak-peeks of motherboards based around a new CPU (I never saw this back when Core 2 Duo came out -- though granted Intel already had the LGA-775 socket).

The Nehalem platform is the biggest change Intel has made to the workings of their entire platform in years, so I think the large amount of coverage in this case is largely due to the major changes that are being made with these new boards.

nehalem is going to be good but I think it will be a while before we see a significant advantages in gaming. The core 2's are just so awesome. I7/nehalem is going to be awesome for mATX rigs though lower voltages and less heat.

The funny thing is that my P965, with a Q6700 OC'd to 3.2-3.3ghz will probably be just as good at the vast majority of games...How old is the 965? 3 years?

The funny thing is that my P965, with a Q6700 OC'd to 3.2-3.3ghz will probably be just as good at the vast majority of games...How old is the 965? 3 years?

Little over two years.

Seems like such a short time frame in which I had gone through so many builds.

Good times.. good times. :cool:

board looks nice. like said be4 though the cmos reset on the back needs to have a 2-3 sec rule attached to it so ppl don't accidentally reset their shit.

2 sets of bridges for sli/xfire? well, i do remember manufacturers stating they were gonna build boards to use both sli/xfire on one board 2 years ago. maybe hinting on this? that would be ideal.

lastly. really diggin' the video reviews [H] is throwing out there. hopefully to stay and more to cum!

Ya thats what prompted me to ask when we will see an actual CPU review. Since this is now the second [H] motherboard preview in the last week and yet still no offical word on the I7 from Kyle here. So I assume hes still under NDA which prompts me to ask what kind of funny NDA does Intel have the reviewers under? Talk about the boards all you want but NOT the CPU!! lol Just seems funny to me is all. Oh and DON"T mention any pricing. lol what?

Interestingly enough.....post 58. :) That said, I am sure you will be able to find them for more as well. YMMV.

CMOS clear button! That's awesome. No more having to open the case and dick around with jumpers.

Looks like a Nice Board. Last time I had an MSI board was my MSI Diamond NV3. Something along those lines. I will be going with an X58 build once it starts to get established. Like a month or two after it's released.

my only problem with MSI is their seeming lack of support for slightly old products.

Boo, no closed captioning in the video? I'm deaf. I have a couple of friends who are members here that are deaf too. >.< :p

i want.

that is a sexy lookin mobo.

You know, that is the very first thing that came to mind when I saw that board lol.

I've had my share of troubles with recent MSI products, not being able to upgrade to any Wolfdale based chip on their P6N series being my major complaint but, my god that board is just flat purty.

CMOS clear button! That's awesome. No more having to open the case and dick around with jumpers.

Yes, but I'm worried about it's placement. How sensitive is it? Could you be fumbling around trying to plug in some USB stick and accidentally push it?

the one thing that really popped out at me was at around 11:19 when he's showing the back panel, some of the USB don't look like there gonna fit in the IO space of a normal case. I hope the fix that

Look on the [H] main page -- looks like ZDNet is reporting a Nov. 17th release date for Nehalem, with prices ranging from $284 - $999.

Ahhhh. I don't know how I missed that
Probably because it was from a different thread ;).
the one thing that really popped out at me was at around 11:19 when he's showing the back panel, some of the USB don't look like there gonna fit in the IO space of a normal case. I hope the fix that

They'll fit. MSI has been using that type of port arrangement on a bunch of other boards as well, so don't worry about it. It does look a bit weird, but that's a different story ;).

Boo, no closed captioning in the video? I'm deaf. I have a couple of friends who are members here that are deaf too. >.< :p
The good news is you can run the super duper high speed Delta fans. The bad news is the Deltas probably caused this in the first place. :p

Yes, but I'm worried about it's placement. How sensitive is it? Could you be fumbling around trying to plug in some USB stick and accidentally push it?
Good point, seems to me that it might be a good idea to save your BIOS settings to a preset when you're done (unless it has one of those "last settings" automatic saves). Luckily for me I never fumble around in the back.

great vid Kyle! Man that's a sexy lookin board, I am drooling already... Can't wait to see a full review

Well, it depends on what you're running, and your budget... I'm pretty sure I7 won't fit into a large majority of people's budgets for a good 6-8 months after it's released. In typical Intel fashion they'll probably debut mid-to-high clock speed parts first with $350+ price tags, and it'll be several months 'till there's any real budget/low end I7 parts to be had. The mobos themselves will be a considerable investment on top of the DDR3...

C2D's and C2Q's are gonna remain a pretty darn good budget buy for a while still, 'specially after a few price drops post Nehalem launch, regardless of whether LGA 775 is a dead end or not. Most non-early adopters usually end up pairing the mobo/processor upgrades anyway. DDR2 prices are bordering on the ridiculous to boot, like $55 for 4GB of quality DIMMs? Yeesh...

Well, it depends on what you're running, and your budget... I'm pretty sure I7 won't fit into a large majority of people's budgets for a good 6-8 months after it's released. In typical Intel fashion they'll probably debut mid-to-high clock speed parts first with $350+ price tags, and it'll be several months 'till there's any real budget/low end I7 parts to be had. The mobos themselves will be a considerable investment on top of the DDR3...

C2D's and C2Q's are gonna remain a pretty darn good budget buy for a while still, 'specially after a few price drops post Nehalem launch, regardless of whether LGA 775 is a dead end or not. Most non-early adopters usually end up pairing the mobo/processor upgrades anyway. DDR2 prices are bordering on the ridiculous to boot, like $55 for 4GB of quality DIMMs? Yeesh...

The cost of entry this time isn't very high at all. Prices on I7's are 284-999. That's not unreasonable. Motherboard's according to Kyle range 280-330 or so? That's not too bad, maybe a little on the high side but not terrible. DDR3..yes higher than DDR2 but again not terrible. I figure decent 6gig set will run approx 300.

All in all it's not terribad. I've seen much much higher prices on new gen parts in the past.

I made this for a different thread, but it still applies.

The cost of entry this time isn't very high at all. Prices on I7's are 284-999. That's not unreasonable. Motherboard's according to Kyle range 280-330 or so? That's not too bad, maybe a little on the high side but not terrible. DDR3..yes higher than DDR2 but again not terrible. I figure decent 6gig set will run approx 300.
The biggest problem with DDR3 is that we are looking at (a) THREE sticks, (b) 6GB instead of 4GB.

Hi Kyle, so these boards wont cost $400 as once pointed out before? seems great. do u know the prices for UK users? i know that 2 dollers equal to a pound more or less BUT we usualy get priced abit higher then that so i assume the very best x58 mobo's wont cost more then £250?

No clue about Euro/UK prices.

Question about the PCI port on the most right - can you fit there card like SB Titanium? It looks like it will be blcked by northbridge radiator.

I'm also digging the video review/previews. I like the format and I think it makes a nice accompaniment to the written part. Keep it up!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammo it's got 10 SATA ports and 10 USB ports.

couldn't intel just have 10 built in sata ports, i dont like when motherboard manufactures have to rely on other companies for a controller... in this case, its jmicron

couldn't intel just have 10 built in sata ports, i dont like when motherboard manufactures have to rely on other companies for a controller... in this case, its jmicron

That's a great point. I've wondered that myself.

Back