MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum BIOS problem

etruscan

Limp Gawd
So, I am now on my second MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum board, as the first was RMAed by MSI.

The first had a problem where any attempt to change the HT multiplier caused the screen to freeze. This was there from the start, though I only checked after I had flashed from BIOS 1.2 to BIOS 1.3

The second board was received, running BIOS 1.2. I confirmed that the HTx could be changed, and flashed using the MSI Windows BIOS Flash utility, and now any attempt to change the HTx causes the bios to freeze.

To try to fix the problem, with the current board, I have windows flashed to 1.3, and 1.2, and DOS flashed to 1.3 and 1.2 as well. This made no difference, in any BIOS, any attempt to change the HTx multiplier opens an empty window in the middle of the screen, and hangs.

Both Motherboards were from the same source, probably from the same batch. Are both my motherboards from a bad batch, or am I doing something wrong, or what?

Thanks.

No, it's a known problem with the 1.3x bioses. Altho I did not have that problem with mine. I think the work around was just to use page up and page down to change it.
Have you tired the new 1.37 bios to see if it does it in that one? (link to it is in msi forums)

PsySabreW said:
No, it's a known problem with the 1.3x bioses. Altho I did not have that problem with mine. I think the work around was just to use page up and page down to change it.
Have you tired the new 1.37 bios to see if it does it in that one? (link to it is in msi forums)

I'm sorry, I need some clarification.

It stilll happens in 1.2 when I flash back. But, lets say I am using 1.3x, and I want to set to 4x. I just hit enter -> page Up -> restart with the power button?

I tried page up/page down, and the bios still stays frozen, with the empty box in the middle, and eventually I have to reset with the power button. All combinations lead to 5x being on when I restart. Could you write out exactly what you want me to try for 4x?

Nah, just goto the core menu, then goto the HTx option, don't press enter to bring up the box and just press page down to select 4x.

PsySabreW said:
Nah, just goto the core menu, then goto the HTx option, don't press enter to bring up the box and just press page down to select 4x.

Works like a charm. I was about to update the DMI area and hope. Thanks man. You probably saved my board. Oh, that was the entireity of why I RMAed the board, but it was at MSIs instructions.

Cool beans man, at least yours didn't have the IDE channel go out and corrupt all the data on the IDE hds like mine did :D

PsySabreW said:
Cool beans man, at least yours didn't have the IDE channel go out and corrupt all the data on the IDE hds like mine did :D

Not yet, though my first board didn't recognize floppies. I just didn't think floppies were worth RMAing over.

I had to register just to answer this one. This is a known bug with bios 1.3. Just use the + and - keys on the numpad to change HTT!

Don't forget that MSI has a very good support forum at http://forum.msi.com.tw

Edit: Ah someone else made it first :)

Heh, I didn;t even know this was a bug because I only use + and -..... Weird...

Back