MSI Neo2 Platinum cd rom freezes

hp9000

n00b
Hello guys,

I just got this motherboard, I have a Pioneer dvd-burner and an LG 52x cd drive. Every time I insert a cd in the LG, the machine freezes. I have to push the eject button and then wait for about 30 secs before Windows (mouse, keyboard, anything) comes back. I have no problems with the dvd burner, though. Any ideas?

Thanks!
squirrel. :confused:

how are these drives installed? Are they on their own IDE channel, or on the same one? If the latter, are the master and slave jumpers set up correctly on the drives? What OS? What version of nforce drivers are you using? did you use the nvidia SW IDE driver? is so, have you tried using a different version, or using the MS ones??

More info is required if you want help..

Hello,

A few more details, as requested. I'm using XP Pro, SP2. Latest nvidia drivers, including the IDE drivers. The drives are on the same channel, the dvd burner as master and the cd drive as slave. Another thing that I should mention is that if I insert a cd, the associated application gets called (i.e. windows media player for a music cd) and then it immediately freezes. So it's like windows has enough access to the drive and can identify what's inserted, but then it freezes solid. I'll try swapping the master/slave configuration and see if that helps, although I don't know why it would....

few things to try in addition to swapping the drives around.. try one at a time, and see if that works. Try a different cable. Try uninstalling the nVidia IDE driver, and using the MS one. Could be anyone of those things..

OK, I'm back. I tried using the cd drive alone, as a master, and didn't work either. I replaced the drive with a new one (same brand) but that didn't make a difference. I downloaded and reinstalled the nvidia drivers, still no difference. The weird thing is that if I boot off a cd on that drive (i.e. Acronis True Image) there are no problems. Furthermore, if I leave a cd in and boot into Windows, all I get is the Windows logo and the scrolling thingy and then a black screen which stays there until I pop out the cd. So it seems to clearly be a problem with Windows XP. The cd drive is an LG gcr-8523b. Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks!

try using the MS IDE driver instead of the nVidia one. You can go into the control panel, device manger, IDE Controller, and update the driver. Then you can manually select the MS driver for this.. the nVidia IDE driver has issues at times with Optical drives..

Also, you can try updating the firmware on the drive, as I've seen firmware updates solve incompatibilities with the nVidia driver.

No, nforce3 works fine with sp2... I've put together a few systems using sp2 and MSI 754 nf3 boards, and they don't have any problems..

More than likely, its an incompatibility with the optical drive, and the nvidia IDE driver.. You might want to also try getting an earlier verion of the nforce drivers, like 4.27, and put out the 2.5 IDE driver.. Ppl have had better results with that.. Or there is the latest beta drivers floating about that have a newer one to try if your hell bent on using the nVidia IDE driver..

Alright, what are then the supposed advantages of using the nVidia ide driver? When you install them, it says something about "removing bottleneck on the ide channel" or something of the sort. You're saying that I'm better off without this driver i.e. going back to the default Windows driver?

Thanks!

hp9000 said:
Alright, what are then the supposed advantages of using the nVidia ide driver? When you install them, it says something about "removing bottleneck on the ide channel" or something of the sort. You're saying that I'm better off without this driver i.e. going back to the default Windows driver?

Thanks!

I've actually heard from a few different people that the MS IDE driver seems to work better than the Nvidia. It would definitely be one of the first things I would try if I had a problem. Also, could it be a PSU problem?

The nVidia IDE driver helps to offload some of the CPU overhead. But, the MS driver isn't bad at all, and will still give decent performance.

I'm not sure how NVRAID will be affected without the driver, but I'm not sure that's a feature you'll be using or not..

Hello,

Based on your suggestions, I went back to the standard IDE drivers that came shipped with windows xp and presto! no more cd-rom problems. I don't know what the heck is wrong with those nVidia drivers, it's a real shame they don't work if they're supposed to take some load off the cpu. I think I'll take "slower" performance over a non-working device any day. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. :)

No problem. You can try different version of the nVidia IDE driver.. 2.5 seems to be the best right now.. 2.6 is what comes with the 5.10's.. there's a 2.7 flying around out there..

Back