MSI Neo2 Platinum chipset cooling

SlingXShot

Limp Gawd
I heard the mobo chipset is not cooled very well. Should I change the heatsink, and replace, will it require to forcefully pull it out and glue it back or something? Which one?

THanks!

Well it is totaly sufficient if you are running at stock since it is active. If you want to overclock heavily a better choice would be Vantec's copper chipset kit. Pairing that fan with some decent Arctic Silver and you will be good to go.

It requires you to physically remove the motherboard from the case, squeeze and remove the push pins that hold the current fan on. Then you clean the chip, apply new thermal goop (Arctic Silver) and place teh new fan on and push its pins into place.

Question plz?
Would a 300 Ht need a aftermarket chipset? (msi neo2 939) Would I be okay with stock cooling, and ifc so, would artic silver be necessary? I dont want to fry it, but I dont want to pull mobo either....

Well it is basically like this. You need to use a monitoring software like MBM5 of maybe Corecell and see what your chipset temps are when you are overclocking and doing heavy gaming. Arctic Silver would definately help. I can't say for sure 300ht definately needs better cooling because really the temp determines that. Find the temps and let me know and I will tell u what you need if anything.

I have a zalman nb47j (passive , the blue one) on my northbridge , mounted with cheap white paste , in a closed PC case with zero airflow (a single 5Volted fan + the 2 in the PSU).

It gets hot , really hot , yet it can work stably well beyond 300HTT (currently testing 8x325).
I never tested with the stock cooler , I simply can't tolerate it's noise , even at 5Volts.
As always , your mileage may vary , but I think I've covered the worst case scenario pretty well.

One thing I would do , would be to remove the heatsink and apply thermal paste properly.
My mobo came with virtually no paste under the hs.

Back