MSI P55 GD80 + 580GTX SLI?

jerryrigged

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,

I have a P55 GD 80, 8 gigs of ddr3, an i5 750 and a 240gig solid state HD with a GTX580 plus a 1000 wat psu. I'm wondering if it would be worth adding a second GTX580 in SLI even though the mobo would reduce each slot to 8x pci-e instead of 16x (which it has if only one card is plugged in). Also, would I run into CPU capping issues with the i5?

Thanks!

Jerry

Were you asking if it would be worth it to upgrade in general or if there would be performance degradation relating to the x8 pci-e lanes per card?

What resolution are you gaming at? I'm assuming you're not going triple monitor, or you would have said so.

What is your i5 clocked at?

8x will not degrade performance, that's been done.
If your processor is clocked properly it will not be a problem.
If you don't use > 1900 x 1200 SLi is probably overkill, unless you want some insane AA or something.

The 8x PCI-E lanes have a negligible performance impact, 2-3% tops.

The main thing is that's pointless to go SLI/CF this gen unless you are running Eyefinity/Surround or a 1600p monitor.

If your i5 is overclocked, neither of those will be a problem. A 4Ghz i5 (easily achievable with most boards) is plenty to run alongside a pair of 580s, and the 8x bandwidth will have no noticeable impact.

Thanks guys! And for the record I play at 2560x1600 res on a dell 30"

To answer the OC questions; I have a Thermalright True Black Rev C for the processor but I haven't installed it yet (although I have had it for a long time) so the CPU isn't OCd. The thing sits in an Antec 1200 so once I finally do fire up the overclockage it'll have plenty of cooling :D

Back