MSI P67S-C43 voltage won't stick

Lomic

Limp Gawd
Probably not a lot of owners out there yet, but this new board is having trouble with CPU voltage in BIOS. Regardless of my setting, voltage remains at 1.208, holding back the new 2500k quite a bit.

If I use MSI Control Center (windows utility), I can change CPU voltage, but it returns to the BIOS setting after a reboot.

I've played with all the SpeedStep and other BIOS settings, but no dice. Any thoughts or others out there with this board, yet? I do have the lastest BIOS. It's also kind of odd that voltage can only be set to a max of 1.35 in the BIOS menu, even though the same menu warns you not to exceed 1.4 volts. Using Control Center you can set any voltage you'd like.

I haven't got mine running yet, but I'll let you know if I have the same problem. It looks like we're sharing a BIOS with the more expensive P67A-C45 and P67A-C43, so I think this kind of thing will be fixed.

Last edited:
After looking through the MSI forum overclocking section, it looks like this is a known - if not widely declared - bug. From what I can discern, there is currently a 1.6 BIOS still in beta, which should contain a fix for this. The same bug is occurring on the GD65 boards.

They must have pretty terrible QA that they shipped with this bug in the first place. They must only do unit tests that each setting can be changed.

Yeah, I saw your post. My 2600K is out for delivery today so hopefully I'll have some feedback for you tonight.

I also have a P67A-C43 and my VCORE won't change either... I've been searching high and low all over the internet and finally came across this thread.. It's a relief in a way that i'm not the only person having this issue.

What I have noticed, is that as long as you keep your multiplier at 34, the VCORE settings DO change but not like this makes any difference.. I can only achieve 4.2ghz, anything higher and i'm BSODing with a 0x101 error code, which means "Dude, up the VCORE!"; until MSI fixes this issue.. bad, bad MSI.. Ugh.

Well i'm here to report I did something really crazy and wild and not for the feint of heart...

I came across the European MSI forum where they were hosting BETA bioses for the P67A-GD55/56,etc. but nothing for our C43s... well, I figured things couldn't be much different between the UEFI ClickBios.. so I tried flashing it with one of those BIOSes and it the BIOS upgrader didn't detect the BETA bios.. so I got this wild idea to rename the BIOS to the same 1.5version we currently have and then it of course saw it, but then said "THIS BIOS IS NOT FOR YOUR MOTHERBOARD!" and gave me a YES OR NO option.. I chose YES and..

GOOD NEWS! It works and WOW, a whole GAGGLE of new features.. I wouldn't recommend touching anything that DIFFERS from our current BIOS.. But it looks like the VCORE is WORKING AND STICKING!!

If anybody wants a copy of the beta bios, let me know, seems to work.. like I said, DO NOT MESS WITH ANYTHING NEW IN THIS BIOS.

OMG.. I go through all this trouble and the BIOS is released moments later.. go figure. :p

Lomac,

Question for you.. I can't get my Intel MEI driver to install so I can use the MSI Overclock Control Center program.. I always get the error message "You need Intel MEI to overclock!"

Are you having this issue?

Secondly, are we dealing with false advertising here.. our boards are advertised to have OC Genie II, yet we don't have any actual OC Genie II physical buttons on our mainboards.. and enabling the OC Genie Button option in the BIOS will cause the system to NEVER post.. So I don't recommend turning it on. I wonder if they got rid of it in the BIOS for 1.7.. Let me know!!

-Div

I installed the Intel ME driver off the CD, works fine. There is an Intel ME firmware update in the MSI 1.7 BIOS zip file, so maybe you need to flash both... I did. I flashed by creating a DOS USB boot drive and running 7673v17.bat; this updated both MB BIOS and Intel FW.

I was able to get 4.8 looking stable with 1.35 Vcore, but my temps were a bit too high for my liking, mingling with 80c. I'm now looking stable at 4.6 with 1.30 Vcore and temps just touching 70c.

New BIOS 1.7 is released:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67S-C43.html#/?div=BIOS

Will be trying it soon. If you don't hear back, it's because my board is hosed :p

I'm not seeing it. Did they pull it down? I need it because I can't even POST with two sticks of RAM in the mobo.

Could one of you host it somewhere where I can grab it?

EDIT: nm. Lomic, I saw your direct link at the MSI board. Hope it fixes my issue.

Last edited:
I installed the Intel ME driver off the CD, works fine. There is an Intel ME firmware update in the MSI 1.7 BIOS zip file, so maybe you need to flash both... I did. I flashed by creating a DOS USB boot drive and running 7673v17.bat; this updated both MB BIOS and Intel FW.

I was able to get 4.8 looking stable with 1.35 Vcore, but my temps were a bit too high for my liking, mingling with 80c. I'm now looking stable at 4.6 with 1.30 Vcore and temps just touching 70c.

What cooler are you using?

Thanks! this should work with the c45 too?

It looks to me from looking at the BIOS files on the Web site that the S-C43, A-C43, and A-C45 all share the same BIOS file names. Is that everyone else's conclusion? Only difference between the boards appears to be the inclusion/ommission of the USB 3.0 chip and/or various heatsinks. They're basically all the same board.

Yes all BIOS files appear to be the same for CXX boards. It should be safe to flash them. It was even "safe enough" for me to flash a GD56 board UEFI as well.. system still posted fine aside from Win7 having to redetect ALL my hardware.. but it's fine.

Also not sure why MSI pulled the 1.7 down.. appears to be working a lot better for me.. Although I do notice that CPU temps are reporting wrong in the UEFI bios.. but reporting fine in Windows with HWMonitor.

How far are you guys getting? Turns out my RAM problem was actually some bent pins in the socket. Anyway, I'm currently stability testing by 2600K in OCCT @ 4.65 GHz with the 1.7 BIOS. Not bad for a ghetto board I'd say. I don't think I'll get to 5 GHz with the 1.35V limit, mid-to-high 4s is pretty good.

Last edited:
Stable at 4.7ghz and 1.35vcore.. I need more vcore to go higher.. my temps are good under load.. so there's some headroom. I think a BIOS update will hopefully allow for more VCORE.. I never saw these MSI boards as "ghetto".. just more simplistic in terms of fine tuning. It seems you CAN go higher on the VCORE via the MSI ControlCenter program.. so there's no reason why a BIOS update can't provide this functionality.

Anyone running a galaxy 460? Having trouble with one and this board. Card is fine in other boards and other cards are fine in the board

Boots up, and stops at a flashing cursor and "a3" in the bottom right.

I originally put in an ATI card and I could not "see" the BIOS... Once I put in a GTX480 everything worked fine... I suspect not all video cards are playing nicely with the UEFI.

Anyone running a galaxy 460? Having trouble with one and this board. Card is fine in other boards and other cards are fine in the board

Boots up, and stops at a flashing cursor and "a3" in the bottom right.

Have you tried flashing the Galaxy with another vendor's BIOS?

Looks like BIOS 1.7 is official now. Nothing has changed in the ZIP from the last time it was posted.

I just built my first computer around this board. Using an i5 2500k and everything seems to be working fine. Everything booted up and is running well with nary a problem, though I haven't tried to overclock yet. Now that 1.7 is official, I'll probably update and try to overclock a bit once I get some free time.

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. It's nice to know what problems I might encounter and how you guys have attempted to resolve them. It's appreciated.

Does 1.7 allow more vcore?

No. It's the same 1.7 as before.

Also, oddly enough, I've actually had better luck overclocking with VDROOP on High and Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled. Has anyone else experienced this?

Does 1.7 allow more vcore?

Got a response back from MSI about increasing the 1.35V VCORE limit:

Thanks for contacting MSI Technical Support Team!
Regarding your concern, we have already informed the BIOS engineers about this issue. They will fix this issue in the future BIOS.
Thanks for your input very much!

Have a nice day & a good mood!

Best Regards,
MSI Technical Support Team!

Well based on your thread here I decided to hop over to the MSI Site and download all the latest goodies for my GD65. I just finished burning the DVD. I'm all set for when my RAM and H70 finally arrive...GRRRRR

Stable at 4.7ghz and 1.35vcore.. I need more vcore to go higher.. my temps are good under load.. so there's some headroom. I think a BIOS update will hopefully allow for more VCORE.. I never saw these MSI boards as "ghetto".. just more simplistic in terms of fine tuning. It seems you CAN go higher on the VCORE via the MSI ControlCenter program.. so there's no reason why a BIOS update can't provide this functionality.

I'm loving mine, it has exceeded my expectations for a $110 board; 4.7 GHz @ 1.3 :)

Proof: http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6446/54135803.jpg

Last edited:
Back