MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

Orthos gets rounding errors when I run any test that involves RAM.

2.1V lasts a few minutes before errors appear.
1.9V reports errors almost instantly.

Going to try 2T, but I guess I'm looking at an RMA.
Don't really want to go through testing individual sticks.

(3 day weekend, better things to do, matched dual channel pair, likely that both are failing anyway, etc)

Edit: 1.9V @ 2T seems to be a lot more stable (no errors for over 12 minutes, instead o ffailing immediately).
Will let it run for a while. I want to get this thing stable so I can OC my cpu.

man, MSI sure takes its sweet time sending you a new RMA motherboard... I sent mines in over a month ago since I posted my problems in this thread... and the brand new one just got here... in the mean time I couldn't wait and bought an Abit IP35 Pro... and now I have to sell this P6N Plat.

If anyone is looking, I got a fresh from MSI... P6N Platinum untouched in its anti-static bag, with all the perepherals in the retail box I bought from new-egg... obviously the box has been opened but the RMA that came back to me hasn't and will come with absolutely everything.. I'll even beat the new-egg post-rebate price and let it go for $115 + shipping and you don't have to mail or worry about rebates.

I have excellent heatware linked for identity security purposes to my PayPal address, mnitko [a.t] gmail.com ... and excellent e-bay as black_Iria

just hit me with a PM if you want it

man, MSI sure takes its sweet time sending you a new RMA motherboard... I sent mines in over a month ago since I posted my problems in this thread... and the brand new one just got here... in the mean time I couldn't wait and bought an Abit IP35 Pro... and now I have to sell this P6N Plat.

I agree. I sent mine in after it wouldn't post and the D-Block informed me it was a "CPU Initialization Error" (Tried the cpu in another system and it worked). I believe the company lied on the day they recieved it. (I sent it priority [2-3] on a tuesday, and they didn't supposedly recieve it until next tuesday). They then informed me it would be 10 business days before they would mail it back to me. I think that's piss poor customer service. Can their business survive without a system for 10 days? If I wouldn't be able to freely take home laptops from work to use in the meantime, I would have bought a new board. Call of Duty 4 has arrived, and I have nothing to play it on. :( Sigh.

I have the same issue. I have drive trays that i swap out for what OS I want. So IDE is for Linux and SATA is for Windows. I saw there was a BIOS update avail so I did the live update from the MSI website, all went fine. but now when i try to boot into my IDE HDD it just hangs and doesnt even POST. So I do a hard shutdown, and switch to SATA drive, push power, does the same thing until i power down, open case, push clear cmos button. then SATA will boot but looses all bios settings. any ideas why it would boot SATA but not IDE? I'm going to flash bios back to older version tonight. may opt for a GA-P35-DS3.

OK so I just got myself a quad core Q6600 G0 stepping today, put it in, super fast but I have a very strange problem. Speedfan is telling me it's running subambient but I have a water loop with nothing to make it lower than ambient. How is this possible? Obviously it's an error somewhere but I need to know if it's the processor before my return period is up.

I'm running 2.3 bios on SLI-FI if that helps. I see 2.4 is out but I don't like updating unless it's absolutely needed. I don't want to OC until I know my real temperatures.

Pict:
subamb.JPG

Speedfan reads wrong data. For both temperature and chipset/mem voltages.
To see your temperatures use CoreTemp 0.95 from intel.

The instructions say they don't suggest placing a video card in the second slot if not using SLI, but I can't fit a better southbridge cooler if I don't. Is it possible to do this and are there any risks involved? thanks

I have bought the p6n sli already and I am planning on buying the e6750 processor, but I have been reading the threads that say it does not work well with that procesor, have they fixed issue yet or should I just get a 6600????? please help this will be my first build and don't want any( well as litte) problems when i buldt it , thanks.

Conker your problem the whole time was likely that you were trying to run 1T. I don't think OCZ RAM is spec'd for 1T, not the revision 2 stuff anyway.

I have bought the p6n sli already and I am planning on buying the e6750 processor, but I have been reading the threads that say it does not work well with that procesor, have they fixed issue yet or should I just get a 6600????? please help this will be my first build and don't want any( well as litte) problems when i buldt it , thanks.

Never heard that anywhere; I've been running my e6750 @ 3.2Ghz on my P6N-SLI FI for about a month now and it's just fine. My board shipped with the 2.3 BIOS and I haven't tried out 2.4 yet.

Same here, the E6750 and P6N SLI I have work perfactly together, I've used Bios 2.3 and 2.4 and get easy 3.6-3.7 OC's out of the thing.

I have an E6750 running with 3 gigs of ADATA DDR2 800 ( Cheep and Great Ram ) on this board with Windows XP ...I ran Orthos for 12 hours with not one error at all...I think you will be fine !

I have an E6750 running with 3 gigs of ADATA DDR2 800 ( 2 x 1 gig & 2 x 512 mb ) on this board with Windows XP . The board posted the first time that I booted it and has run fine ever since, I ran ORTHOS for 12 hours with no errors at all...I think you will be fine !

is there a way to tell what version bios my board has before it posts? Because I know it will work with the 2.3 version but it will not post with 2.2 version. Thanks for the responses guys!!!

HELP!

Trying to assemble a new system... Having a hell of a time getting it to work!! This is what I have purchased-

INTEL Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz FSB1333MHz 4M LGA775 Retail
MSI P6N SLI Platinum nForce 650i SLI Socket 775 1333MHz DDR2-800
Antec TruePower TRIO 650 650W Power Supply Retail
EVGA 320-P2-N815-AR e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 320MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
Corsair Dominator Series TWIN2X2048-8500C5D 2GB Kit DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 Memory
COOLER MASTER Hyper TX - Universal RR-CCH-L9U1-GP CPU Cooler Retail

The orange and green LED's on Mobo come on the cpu, case , and videocard fans come on, there is no display output, no beeps, and no LED's light up on the D- Bracket. Tried w/ everything outside of the case. Tried w/ single memory stick at a time in green slot closest to CPU. I only have the power supply, 24 pin connx and separate 4 pin connector, memory, Vid Card, and case speaker connected to board

Everything is assembled but I cannot get the system to post. RMA'd the MoBo and now on the 2nd one still will not post.

MSI tech supprt says the RAM I have is 2.1 volt and may not work as bios default is 1.8. I have tried the new corsair dominator memory in a friends dell and the system booted OK.

Also MSI tech support tells me that the E6750 is only supported under the latest V 1.5 bios. By bios chip is Ilabeled V1.30. Does this sound right??? WTF...I can't flash the bios if I can't even get it to post???

Any and all assistance would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I'm curious what you ended up doing? I'm having the exact same issues, but I'm inclined to think that I have a defective motherboard. I've tried various RAM configurations and a couple Video Cards...all with the same result, no POST or D-Bracket lights. Not sure what to do.

i fixed my problem - i had to switch the IDE cables around. HDD on primary and CDROM on secondary IDE.

Hello guys!

I need some help for OC-ing my rig! There's a SuperPi 1M contest on a romanian forum, that involves only C2D as following:

Conroe & Kentsfield @ 3600
Allendale 2Mb L2 & 1 MbL2 @ 3200

My rig:

I have an E4300, MSI P6N SLI Fi and 2 x 1024 Mb Kingmax Mars (5-5-5-18) that runs 4-4-4-12 default vdimm!
There's no big deal in increasing the FSB to 355 in order to reach 3200 MHz, and, from what i've seen, the memory climbs up to DDR2 960 5-4-4-12 with 2.1V.

My issue: I can't get it to 400 x 8 linked, I think it would be faster if the CPU would run 1:1 with the mem, even if better scores are achieved with higher memory frequency! What do I have tot do to get it stable to 400 x 8? Or is it that FSB wall everyone talks about at E4300?
My CPU FPO/Batch is Q650A065, it runs 3 gigs with stock voltage, my cooler is Akasa AK-965, a cheaper clone of Arctic Freezer 7 Pro!
I've increased the CPU voltage and mem voltage but no result. Do I have to increase the MCH (NB) voltage as well? Is this the only way to achieve FSB 400? Or is it the wall and that's it?
I need some advice, help me out guys!

Respect!

P.S. - C1E, EIST and all that other sh*t that prevents the system from OC is disabled!

Try 457 (1828) x 7
Mem 914 on 2.2v or Auto (better)
1.5NB
1.6SB
8-16% FSB

Use latest 2.4 bios

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and my first time attempting to overclock... just so you know what you're dealing with :)

First I have a question, and then my problem.

What exactly is the difference between the linked and manual mode for this mobo? I understand that that the CPU and RAM clocks are connected for the linked mode, but why is there no option to set the ratio between the two, and so how does it determine what the ratio should be?

Regardless... I've been trying to start with a modest overclock of my FSB to 400 using the manual mode, which should give me a nice 1:1 ratio. However, every time I change the FSB at all, the mobo refuses to post. I've tried 400, 402, 385, and 366, and none of them will post. I have EIST, DOT, and C1E all disabled as recommended. I even tried a modest voltage bump on the CPU (0.0125 V), and still no post. I noticed that my specific RAM was reported in the forum as having problems with this board, but it seemed like some people had gotten it to work...

Any help would be much appreciated, and again... I'm a total noob so talk slow.

My system is... MSI P6N SLI Platinum (Bios version 1.5), Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 @1.8 - 2.0v, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS OC, Antic 500W PSU

Hi guys,

Just a troubleshooting update...

I borrowed a friend's memory (Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), 4-4-4-12, 2.2 V), and still no luck. I changed the FSB to 400 and no post.

So I don't think the memory is the problem. I did buy the board open box from newegg... maybe it is just defective.

Any help would be great!

Not sure what happened, I was overclocking, went to 20% FSB, it frooze and I thought it was just another unstable overclock, but then it wouldn't post. Left it overnight without battery/power, still wouldn't post, rebuilt system, wouldn't post.

The next day I decided I was tired of mid-line products and got an Asus Maximus Formula Special Edition for $309 at a local computer shop, put it in, wouldn't turn on, then this massive blue spark shot out of my power supply.

Anyways, so far it was a terrible week of broken components. Today I went down to the shop again, brought my computer in, they hooked it up to a supply they had in the back, and it booted fine on the new board. I then went over and bought a 750 Watt SilverStone Zeus powersupply for $189.

I'm partially ranting about the MSI board breaking, but also just wanted to warn people of the POTENTIALLY dangerous 20% FSB. It could have been a total coincidence that my 550 just broke down that week and took the P6N with it, because it was a lower end supply (cheap Rosewill), however it did happen the same day I up'ed to 20% FSB VTT.

Now that my system is up and running and I have some slightly more high-end parts, does anyone know why it blew out? Is 20% FSB just stupid and I shouldn't have even tried that?

Hi guys,

Just a troubleshooting update...

I borrowed a friend's memory (Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400), 4-4-4-12, 2.2 V), and still no luck. I changed the FSB to 400 and no post.

So I don't think the memory is the problem. I did buy the board open box from newegg... maybe it is just defective.

Any help would be great!

RMA time. i think you always take that risk with open box stuff. sometimes you get lucky though.

Dude 500 I doubt it has to do with the 20% Vtt. I run the same for more then 2 weeks now and had no problem.
I think the main problem was your PSU, possibly a high load or who knows.

Try 457 (1828) x 7
Mem 914 on 2.2v or Auto (better)
1.5NB
1.6SB
8-16% FSB

Use latest 2.4 bios

I tried your your way and it won't boot! I tried 400 x 8 with the rest of your recomandations and it boots but it hangs when loading OS. Might be the NB, it's hot as hell when I touch it. Must cool it a little, it's really too hot! :(

Also try 420-430x7. For more than 1.35v on NB you need a fan on it, otherwise it gets up to 65C quick.

Hi all, any help would be appreciated.

Im having trouble getting memory timings to stated values "4-4-4-15," let alone overclocking.
I put in memory...boots to standard 5 timings @1.8. If I change it to 4-4-4-15 @ 1.9 it will crash during boot. If I change it to 4-4-4-15 2.0 boots to windows crashes during memtest.

First, to change Memory timing and volts, do I have to disable all those settings written on the first page of this forum?

Second, after iI reload after crashes my monitor stays black, no beebs, nothing. Hitting power button repeatedly does not load default bios. Only way to get back into bios is to replace ram with some different ram (the gskill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ version, caused random crashes, which im sending back) and then switch back to the ocz.
what do I do once I send this back?

This is just a taste of my various oc attempts with this system, any thoughts? Thanks

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting and my first time attempting to overclock... just so you know what you're dealing with :)

First I have a question, and then my problem.

What exactly is the difference between the linked and manual mode for this mobo? I understand that that the CPU and RAM clocks are connected for the linked mode, but why is there no option to set the ratio between the two, and so how does it determine what the ratio should be?

Regardless... I've been trying to start with a modest overclock of my FSB to 400 using the manual mode, which should give me a nice 1:1 ratio. However, every time I change the FSB at all, the mobo refuses to post. I've tried 400, 402, 385, and 366, and none of them will post. I have EIST, DOT, and C1E all disabled as recommended. I even tried a modest voltage bump on the CPU (0.0125 V), and still no post. I noticed that my specific RAM was reported in the forum as having problems with this board, but it seemed like some people had gotten it to work...

Any help would be much appreciated, and again... I'm a total noob so talk slow.

My system is... MSI P6N SLI Platinum (Bios version 1.5), Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 G.Skill 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 5-5-5-15 @1.8 - 2.0v, NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GTS OC, Antic 500W PSU

Linked mode means always a 1:1 ratio, so if you want to try 400 FSB, try setting it to linked instead of manual and see what happens. Manual means that you set the two speeds independently of each other. You can set the FSB to 375 and the RAM to 709, or whatever. Manual is better than ratios, that's why they don't include ratios.

There are FSB "holes" with this chipset--ranges of values that don't work well. See the first few pages of the thread for info on that.

Setting it to less than 400 in linked mode will underclock your RAM accordingly, which may inprove stability. You can try upping your RAM voltage also. I'm guessing if you leave that on an auto setting it's putting it at 1.8, and since it's specced to support up to 2.0 you could try 1.9 or 2.0.

Hi guys. I just upgraded my E6300 to a Q6600. It is alot harder to get the quad stable than the old duo.

Q6600 G0 @ 3.2ghz

FSB: 1600
Mem: 800 (4-4-4-15)
Multi: x8

CPU Volt: +0.1675
Mem Volt: 2.15v
NB Volt: 1.50
SB Volt: 1.60
FSB Volt: 12%

I think it is good where it is at. Anyone got some pointers for this system?

Hi guys. I just upgraded my E6300 to a Q6600. It is alot harder to get the quad stable than the old duo.

Q6600 G0 @ 3.2ghz

FSB: 1600
Mem: 800 (4-4-4-15)
Multi: x8

CPU Volt: +0.1675
Mem Volt: 2.15v
NB Volt: 1.50
SB Volt: 1.60
FSB Volt: 12%

I think it is good where it is at. Anyone got some pointers for this system?

I used to use this board on my G0 Q6600 and managed to get it to 3.26 on x8 (don't remember the fsb, you can calculate it). I was running +0.1000 (yours seems high). I ran same board voltages accept I had to push it to 20% FSB volt. That was 100% stable for me (100% stable for me means TOTALLY Stable because I do 3d rendering and it can't freeze up). It's almost impossible to get over 3.3ghz on this board.

After my power supply exploded and took the board with it last week, I got an Asus maximus formula special edition, and it just goes to show that with motherboards you get what you pay for. It was $309 vs. the $119 for the P6N SLI-FI. Right now I'm running 3.3ghz on stock voltages across the board and many users report up to 4ghz on the Q6600 G0 easily.

If overclocking is a hobby of yours and you want to work with a quad core, you should certainly consider upgrading to a much higher end board if you have the budget for it.

I used to use this board on my G0 Q6600 and managed to get it to 3.26 on x8 (don't remember the fsb, you can calculate it). I was running +0.1000 (yours seems high). I ran same board voltages accept I had to push it to 20% FSB volt. That was 100% stable for me (100% stable for me means TOTALLY Stable because I do 3d rendering and it can't freeze up). It's almost impossible to get over 3.3ghz on this board.

After my power supply exploded and took the board with it last week, I got an Asus maximus formula special edition, and it just goes to show that with motherboards you get what you pay for. It was $309 vs. the $119 for the P6N SLI-FI. Right now I'm running 3.3ghz on stock voltages across the board and many users report up to 4ghz on the Q6600 G0 easily.

If overclocking is a hobby of yours and you want to work with a quad core, you should certainly consider upgrading to a much higher end board if you have the budget for it.

q6600overclock.jpg

Well it seems like this board doesn't like going over 3.2ghz on my Q6600. I lowered the CPU volt to +.1000, highered the VTT FSB to 16% and it seems to be stable; I guess those extra volts I put in were just going to waste. I am happy with the board as is and I don't plan on upgrading.

Well it seems like this board doesn't like going over 3.2ghz on my Q6600. I lowered the CPU volt to +.1000, highered the VTT FSB to 16% and it seems to be stable; I guess those extra volts I put in were just going to waste. I am happy with the board as is and I don't plan on upgrading.

I just looked back at my post, I accidentally said I was running x8 when I was actually running x9 (1450*9=3.26). You could try that with the voltages I said earlier and see what happens. If the FSB is the weak point, I could see how using x9 could help a lot.

I just looked back at my post, I accidentally said I was running x8 when I was actually running x9 (1450*9=3.26). You could try that with the voltages I said earlier and see what happens. If the FSB is the weak point, I could see how using x9 could help a lot.

Well that is the thing. I can't post using the x9 multi no matter what changes I do.

Any known issues with this motherboard and 2GB memory sticks? I'm thinking about upgrading to 2*2GB memory sticks because DDR2 is currently so cheap.

Could u guys help me decide...

should i get OCZ platinum rev. 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227139&Tpk=ocz+platinum+revison

OR

Crucial Ballistix
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565&Tpk=BL2KIT12864AA804

or any other ddr2 800 RAM that is known to be compatible with this board.

with watever ram i get i am planning to OC my e6400 to somewhere around 3 GHz.

I ran the Crucial Ballistix before I got my current OCZ Reapers, and honestly the OCZ's are much better. They o/c to almost as high as the Ballistix, (1075 vs 1025), at 2.25V vs the 2.4V needed for the BAllistix to be stable. I am running 1025, 5-4-4-15 @ 2.25V, and have been stable for over 24/7 use running World @Home for 4 months.

Back