MSI R6870 Hawk Video Card Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
MSI has released their fourth version of the Radeon HD 6870 and this one is crammed with features. The MSI R6870 Hawk features a 3rd generation custom cooler, triple voltage tweaking, plus much more. We put this enthusiast’s video card to the test by not only having it compete with a GeForce GTX 560 Ti but also with an overclocked version of itself.

Nice review. Although the GTX 560 Ti is in another price bracket altogether, I see this card as a compelling product to consider instead. Shame everything wasn't implemented better. I was wondering though, did you guys enable unofficial overclocking in afterburner 210, looks like you guys were limited by the CCC defaults.

Last edited:
I realize you are probably trying to keep it within reasonable midrange, but that test system is rocking a C2Q!! :eek:

Does going up in Core by 70MHz and mem by 100Mhz really allow you to in some cases put on 4x AA or go up a higher resolution? Seems a bit mind boggling that a small increase like that can change so much.

Big fan of [H] video card reviews, and I understand the logic behind the unique method y'all employ, but may I suggest a method which merges the two comparative styles?

Get the card being reviewed to playable frame rates with your usual method, and then pit it directly against the selected "control" card(s) with those same settings. It'd be a mixture of apples to apples (which isn't always fair) and real world gameplay.

On an unrelated note, the latest version of Sapphire TRIXX allows me to push my HD 6870's core clock up to a potentially hilarious 1300MHz fireball of instability. I'm not sure if Sapphire's utility works on other brand cards, but it could be worth attempting if that card overclocked so readily to 1GHz.

Last edited:
... I was wondering though, did you guys enable unofficial overclocking in afterburner 210, looks like you guys were limited by the CCC defaults.

In the version we were forced to use to enable voltage tweaking this option was not there.

I realize you are probably trying to keep it within reasonable midrange, but that test system is rocking a C2Q!! :eek:

I have no control over this. I use what I am given and told to use. You will have to email Kyle if you want me to test with a newer system. Though don't be surprised if his response is that you can donate high-end sandy bridge components to him.

Does going up in Core by 70MHz and mem by 100Mhz really allow you to in some cases put on 4x AA or go up a higher resolution? Seems a bit mind boggling that a small increase like that can change so much.

Well if you completely read the article then you should already know the answer. If you are still in doubt after you reread it then go back and pay attention to the 10% plus performance gains that the overclock made in some of the apples-to-apples testing.

In the version we were forced to use to enable voltage tweaking this option was not there.

I'm a little confused, in the article it says you downloaded the latest afterburner from guru 3d because the card didn't come with the latest version. The latest build is 2.1.0 final. The reason the option is not there is because you have to enable it via editing the config file. Instructions are on the download page for reference. Basically...

To enable unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to:

* Set UnofficialOverclockingEULA field to the following text: I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
* Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

The option is not going to be a checkbox, Once you modify the config file and save, restart afterburner and you should be able to overclock the core and memory much higher than the ccc defaults. There will be no extra stability just the ability to go higher, should your review sample be able to handle the extra clocks.

I'm a little confused, in the article it says you downloaded the latest afterburner from guru 3d because the card didn't come with the latest version. The latest build is 2.1.0 final.

No I specifically said in the review which version was used: 2.1.0 Beta 7.

The reason the option is not there is because you have to enable it via editing the config file.

It used to be you bought cheap reference hardware and then in order to get the most out of it you had to spend a lot of time tweaking with RivaTuner or some other third party program to get the card to its maximum potential, not to mention doing volt mods, and cooling mods. In which case searching on forums and editing config files is par for the course.

However with video cards like these where the manufactures are actually selling you on being able to easily do those things then I think editing unknown config file settings is a bit much. I didn’t know about the config file setting, that is beside the point though. MSI should have shipped a working Afterburner version with the product and if the range is so small that it was easily maxed out then they need to address that. With the nature of this video card there shouldn’t be a need to search on third party sites so that you can do voltage tweaking (like it advertises on the box) or searching for config file settings to adjust the overclocking range. Both of these things needed to be clearly and easily accessible since you are paying a premium for them. Having them be a secret for only those in the know I think is unacceptable.

I always thought the "unoficial overclicking" thing in MSI afterburner was for nonMSI cards? At any rate, I have not needed it for my GTX570 (eVGA) and GTX460 (MSI), both of which give insane headroom for my poor GPUs :eek: (1100/2200 for my GTX570 - more than enough to kill it's power circuitry, lol).

Thanks for the review guys, I'd agree that the 6870 Hawk is a good value for $210 AR.

I have a different perspective on modifying config files, especially for this case. Enabling unofficial overclocking and raising the clock ceilings only requires you to open the file and modify one line from 0 to 1. It's not out of the realm of possibility or expectation(IMO at least) for an enthusiast spending >$200 on a graphic card to open a text file and change one value.

Though your test methodology prohibited you from testing overclocking above 1000/4600, we never got to find out how high the core would go. I'd appreciate finding out what the maximum core OC is that you guys can get on that card.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the review guys, I'd agree that the 6870 Hawk is a good value for $210 AR.

I have a different perspective on modifying config files, especially for this case. Enabling unofficial overclocking and raising the clock ceilings only requires you to open the file and modify one line from 0 to 1. It's not out of the realm of possibility or expectation(IMO at least) for an enthusiast spending >$200 on a graphic card to open a text file and change one value.

Though your test methodology prohibited you from testing overclocking above 1000/4600, we never got to find out how high the core would go. I'd appreciate finding out what the maximum core OC is that you guys can get on that card.

Thanks again.

I'm with you on this, and at the same time I know where Matt is coming from. Yes MSI should have this updated version working out of the box, but MSI wants to cover their ass too. by allowing overclocking beyond the standard CCC Limits they could risk damaging cards and getting lawsuits, as all the warnings in the world wont stop someone from suing. On the other hand XacTactX, has a point. The audience this website caters to (enthusiasts) will indeed know and modify the config file as it is done by changing a 0 to a 1 and adding the simple text I posted above so MSI is covered. I wouldn't expect something like this to be done on Toms Hardware but then again this is the [H] baby!! :D

Great review.

I find it awesome how this is one of few instances where overclocking the card does allow for significant increases in graphics quality. It is also amazing how that custom cooling setup works as it is very rare to see factory cards staying in the 60's even when heavily overclocked.

While that is a great deal for a that 6870, I can't help but think that it isn't as good of a deal when you can get a 2 gig MSI 6950 for $244 after rebates right now on newegg. For a $30 price premium, you get a significant performance boost along with double the VRAM.

... MSI wants to cover their ass too. by allowing overclocking beyond the standard CCC Limits they could risk damaging cards and getting lawsuits, as all the warnings in the world wont stop someone from suing. ...

That is a flimsy argument from multiple direction especially considering MSI is trying to sell you on "overvolting" the video card yet they don't provide even a 100MHz range on the GPU to overclock it unless you just happen to know about this config file and you happen to know which two values to change to other specific values. Also for the argument to work they would have to be putting instructions on how to do that in a big neon sign inside of Afterburner so consumers would know that they had the option to even do that. Besides ASUS already has put this enhanced overclocking range inside of SmartDoctor with a simple check box. So why can't MSI do it? This takes me back to the point of this whole thing MSI is not keeping up with their own Afterburner software.

On the other hand XacTactX, has a point. The audience this website caters to (enthusiasts) will indeed know and modify the config file as it is done by changing a 0 to a 1 and adding the simple text I posted above so MSI is covered.

I didn't say we wouldn't have changed the two values if we had known about it. The point is though if we didn't know about them how is the average consumer looking for an easily overclocked video card suppose to know about all this. Also saying "MSI is covered" on this since you had to find what two strings of values to change to do it on a third party site is a poor argument. MSI themselves should have made known this option or put it inside their own program considering the nature of this video card.

A number of things on this video card need improvement and as far as I am concerned this is just another one on the pile. All the excuses in the world can be made why this or that specific feature didn't work quite as well as it should have and if you had only gotten out the soldering iron and added new v-check connectors, added a length wire to the performance/silent switch, etc etc etc... At the end of the day however it doesn't change the fact that they still didn't meet my expectations.

That is a flimsy argument from multiple direction especially considering MSI is trying to sell you on "overvolting" the video card yet they don't provide even a 100MHz range on the GPU to overclock it unless you just happen to know about this config file and you happen to know which two values to change to other specific values. Also for the argument to work they would have to be putting instructions on how to do that in a big neon sign inside of Afterburner so consumers would know that they had the option to even do that. Besides ASUS already has put this enhanced overclocking range inside of SmartDoctor with a simple check box. So why can't MSI do it? This takes me back to the point of this whole thing MSI is not keeping up with their own Afterburner software.

I didn't say we wouldn't have changed the two values if we had known about it. The point is though if we didn't know about them how is the average consumer looking for an easily overclocked video card suppose to know about all this. Also saying "MSI is covered" on this since you had to find what two strings of values to change to do it on a third party site is a poor argument. MSI themselves should have made known this option or put it inside their own program considering the nature of this video card.

A number of things on this video card need improvement and as far as I am concerned this is just another one on the pile. All the excuses in the world can be made why this or that specific feature didn't work quite as well as it should have and if you had only gotten out the soldering iron and added new v-check connectors, added a length wire to the performance/silent switch, etc etc etc... At the end of the day however it doesn't change the fact that they still didn't meet my expectations.

Matt, I'm with you on this and I think MSI definitely has work to do, in addition I think your score was fair and the review well written. I'm not trying to make excuses for MSI.

My only side note was that the audience this site caters too are primarily enthusiast who know how to enable unofficial overclocking, and frequent the Afterburner website and forums http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/etc.. so I feel, that it would be especially beneficial to your readership if you would add the unofficial overclocking, find the highest stable clocks, and post the data. Maybe next time or if you have time, here in this thread. Anyway, thanks for the review

I appreciate this detailed level of review with a midrange cpu to match midrange/budget graphics cards. Just as long as there's a baseline established with the early reference cards on a top of the line machine there's no harm in it. I doubt most folks sporting 4+ ghz sandybridge and 980x machines are the target market for these cards, so "real world" gameplay is best done on a more "real world" platform for this price bracket. Besides, a QX9650 is no slouch when it comes to games.

You guys may want to recheck that F1 benchmark:

no way 30% avg fps boost and 27% minimum frame boost for a mere 8% GPU OC and 10% VRAM OC

Back