MSI R6970 Lightning

I think they have some over at Overclockers.co.uk, but they work out to over $450. At that point, I don't think the card is worth that money.

Well it's a shame they took so long to come out. I ended up buying something else.

I was so tempted to buy one of these but now I see Gigabyte has a custom 6970 as well for $355 at Newegg. The MSI looks to be a better overclocker but the Gigabyte will at least get about 940-ish.

Is that just one mini-dp out on the Gigabyte or is it a full size dp?

The Gigabyte OC card is priced very well for an OC card but why the hell did they do away with one of the miniDP ports from the reference design? Looks like it has 1x HDMI, 1x DP, 1x DVI (single link) and 1x DVI (dual link).

This means I would not be able to do eyefinity on my Dell 30's . . . oh well, I wanted the MSI Lightning anyways. Maybe in a week or so Amazon or some other none sales tax charge place will have it in stock ;)

My reply to a post at XS, may be helpful.

Sorry if I'm too noob for this graphics card and can't figure this out, but I'd really appreciate your help.

I have this same card. I purchased it because it was ~$30 more expensive (for me, where I shop) than a reference card, and it comes with a dope cooler. I recently stopped using liquid cooling and am back to all air cooling.

I have a question that maybe you can answer about the BIOS switch. I almost RMA'd my card because my system wouldn't POST, and it had to do with the switch position.

If you orient yourself with the switch so that you are looking at the back of the card, and the switch lever is pointing at you (I edited your PIC), the Left position will not let my system POST, the Middle and Right work just fine. What is the difference between the Middle and Right positions?

Is it like this:

1. Left = Not Used
  2. Middle = Performance Fan Profile
  3. Right = Quiet Fan Profile?

I wish I were an "expert user" so I could figure this out; I called MSI and they treated me like a dumbass instead of just helping me find the information.

As you can see, the information that came packaged with the R6970 Lightning is lacking. The position of the switch in this picture is the same position that won't let my system POST; the VGA_LED stays lit solid.

MSI actually saw your post and sent me an answer to this. They'll also be including this in the FAQ for this card. Gotta love MSI's support :up:

image001ch.jpg

L = Reserved for Future Function (Switch to this position, the external device is needed to boot up the card) … currently, no design, so if you switch to “L”, the card wont be able to boot.

M = Boosted BIOS setting to 2.5x PowerTune Range and Maximize CCC limit for higher overclocking capability.

R = Default BIOS setting

Back