MSI R9 290 Twin Frozr - one fan stops spinning, any ideas?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
Ugh. So I have had this MSI R9 290 for a couple weeks and I noticed over the last two days the temps would occasionally spike (go from 77 degrees C which is the normal temp at full load, to 90-94 degrees) and then drop back down. Sometimes it wouldn't drop back down and stayed at 92-94. I eventually opened the case and voila, one of the two fans on the vga cooler (the fan closer to the back of the case) was not spinning. I gave it a little nudge and it started spinning and in a few minutes temps went back to normal, but it keeps stopping. I contacted MSI and will probably be RMA-ing this but in the meantime... any suggestions? Is the fan just dead/dying?

Ugh. So I have had this MSI R9 290 for a couple weeks and I noticed over the last two days the temps would occasionally spike (go from 77 degrees C which is the normal temp at full load, to 90-94 degrees) and then drop back down. Sometimes it wouldn't drop back down and stayed at 92-94. I eventually opened the case and voila, one of the two fans on the vga cooler (the fan closer to the back of the case) was not spinning. I gave it a little nudge and it started spinning and in a few minutes temps went back to normal, but it keeps stopping. I contacted MSI and will probably be RMA-ing this but in the meantime... any suggestions? Is the fan just dead/dying?

sounds like a bad fan to me, in the mean time you can take off the side of the case and place a box fan blowing on it, then check the temps one fan and a box might be enough to keep it cool until you rma it

Man, this is the LAST TIME I buy anything from MSI. What a terrible company, they couldn't make the RMA process any worse if they applied honey to my nuts and tied me to a tree in the forest.

First they claim one thing, then the story changes, then they agree to cross ship me a card then OOPS! we don't have it in stock. So I ask how they are going to get me one when they receive my RMA. They say "they will acquire one." Wtf does that mean? Why can't you "Acquire" one right now, charge my card, cross ship, and refund when you get the RMA'd card I send back? Such shady BS. Round time for me to get a new card from when I send them mine, is going to be ONE MORE OR MORE according to what they told me. I guess I've been spoiled by better companies...

I have 2 prolimatech 140s blowing directly on the video cards already, amazingly they are keeping it running lmao.

the twin frozor fans are notorious for this too bad i found out AFTER i bought one im currently thinking about my options i dont particularly feel like voiding my warentee though.

What they're telling you is you're going to get a refurb that is already in the repair pipeline. I can't really comprehend you raging like this after only one day over a card that is probably sold out over the entire planet, wait until a company keeps your card for 4 months and you have jack shit to use and see how you feel.

MSI fan's have sucked going all the way back to the 48xx series AMD cards... Yet nobody ever seems to pay attention.

What they're telling you is you're going to get a refurb that is already in the repair pipeline. I can't really comprehend you raging like this after only one day over a card that is probably sold out over the entire planet, wait until a company keeps your card for 4 months and you have jack shit to use and see how you feel.
they are not sold out they are just 100 more expensive than msrp

These are awesome compared to the junk gigabyte uses...
Though I've mostly been a Sapphire user for most of my computer gaming life, I can attest to this.

MSI coolers are pretty good. My MSI Twin Frozr Radeon 5770 was rock solid. I have never seen that card go over 65-67C at full load.

why is it the 2 best mining brands have shit cooling fans

i like xfx but i herd the coolers overall suck and they dont hash as well as others i herd asus cards run hot

why is it the 2 best mining brands have shit cooling fans

i like xfx but i herd the coolers overall suck and they dont hash as well as others i herd asus cards run hot

I've got the new 290 DD coming my way, I'll put it through the paces for sure.

I have never used Gigabyte graphics cards, but knowing they're worse than MSI when it comes to fans, fuck that.

I had Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition before this. One of the reasons why I got rid of it was horrible fan bearing noises at low speed. The cooler was rather crap. It run hotter and was way louder than this. On top of that there was horrible coil whine.

I had Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz Edition before this. One of the reasons why I got rid of it was horrible fan bearing noises at low speed. The cooler was rather crap. It run hotter and was way louder than this. On top of that there was horrible coil whine.

Well I guess its a good thing I didn't order the GHz card then, I was watching it like a hawk before I ordered the DD.

I have owned 3 MSI cards now, and every single one of them has had fan issues.....

I have also had an issue with the fan not spinning on a new MSI R9 270 I bought from Ebuyer.com. I noticed one of the fans was flickering and trying but failing to move. I registered temperatures in the mid 70s (should be 60s max and could well have gone higher before I had noticed it). The only reason I noticed it was that the case is see through on one side, so this problem may be more widespread than is reported considering its not specific to my card and many cases are not
transparent.

I am very happy with the quality of the graphics, but obviously its fair to say I want to get a replacement because I have twice had to spin the fan manually to get it moving again.

I am in the process of an RMA to Ebuyer.com having abandoned the prospect of sending to MSI who were going to charge for collection. Ebuyer's RMA service is okish, but still not satisfactory. They haven't charged me for the collection and if they find it to be faulty, I believe they will not charge for a replacement. If I want a replacement and the fan doesn't stop when they test it, then they are going to charge a fee (£10 or something) if I want a replacement, which I obviously want because a) the card may be damaged b) its probably in all likelihood going to stop again sometime since it has done so twice. I can't see how its fair that I get charged at all.

It is also bad business sense, if I am thinking straight here. That £10 has already cost them any crossfire replacement I will likely now not buy and I am also considering not to buy from ebuyer again and like many other PC lovers, I will probably have spent £1000s on computer parts with them, not to mention those who are put off from posts like this.

Just another note about Ebuyer. Their customer service seems generally good but their delivery service (yodel) don't turn up when they say they will. I also detected
an attitude of "i'm not giving you the benefit of the doubt that its broken" on the phone when I was talking to them about a possible replacement, even though the guy was friendly before that.

This is ridiculous considering that they sold me a card which overheats and is faulty.

Back