MSI Radeon R9 290X GAMING 4GB + 4 Games $299 AR FS @ Newegg.com

Ducman69

[H]F Junkie
Cheapest I recall seeing to date for this combo: MSI Radeon R9 290X GAMING 4GB + 4 Games $299 (AR $30) FS @ Newegg.com

Of course the question is if its worth waiting for the 8GB cards, and usually I prefer the longer 3x fan units since I can afford the space, and they tend to run quieter for a given temp. From what I understand, there's no benefit to 8GB on a single 290x as it just isn't fast enough, but for crossfire (which you need for higher resolutions anyway) then you'd see the benefit. *shrugs* Thoughts?

Here's a review at some kind of HardOCP website... doesn't sound reputable, but for what its worth: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014...290x_gaming_4g_video_card_review#.VG8yivnF9Vh

1396151094av674gYKyI_1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Good deal but I will steer clear of the MSI cards. The fans on this seem to be an issue - there are many user reviews on Newegg (from what I can remember) that talk about failing fans.

The Sapphire cards are better imho and the Sapphire 290X was available, last week, at $299 (or was it $289?) with the same games deal on Newegg.

Is there any coil whine with these cards like the 970? Also, if the fans fail just replace them with better ones (Noctua).

fwiw, back when i ran SLI MSI 460 Hawks one of the fans on one card developed a rattle. RMA to MSI was absolutely painless. relatively quick too.

that doesn't necessarily mean "buy this card that is destined to have a fan failure, you can just RMA!". i'm trusting that fan failures are not a widespread issue for MSI cards. particularly since i have an MSI GTX 970 en route to me.

fwiw, back when i ran SLI MSI 460 Hawks one of the fans on one card developed a rattle. RMA to MSI was absolutely painless. relatively quick too.

that doesn't necessarily mean "buy this card that is destined to have a fan failure, you can just RMA!". i'm trusting that fan failures are not a widespread issue for MSI cards. particularly since i have an MSI GTX 970 en route to me.

The fans on the newer cards (AMD 200 series and newer) have bigger fins/blades but are on the same motor, and seem to be more susceptible to failing. I've had to drill both the fans on my 270x to get singer machine oil into them after they started making grinding noises and spinning slowly. The card is dead quiet and cool but the fans are garbage.

Good deal but I will steer clear of the MSI cards. The fans on this seem to be an issue - there are many user reviews on Newegg (from what I can remember) that talk about failing fans.

This, be aware that the fans do have a poor track record. When I looked months ago you couldn't even buy them separately, you'd have to send the card back for an RMA to get new fans. My 270x is in an HTPC so that doesn't really work.

Last edited:
I had two of these MSI 280X Gaming video cards last year and both developed fan problems after a few months of use (the fan would randomly stop spinning). Unless they fixed the problem recently, I would avoid video cards using this fan.

Back