MSI Twin Frozr 560 with High OC, or Twin Frozr 580 with Mild OC?

TorxT3D

Gawd
Ive narrowed it down to these two now. I've ruled out the 570 over its weak oc ability. Reading reviews of the frozr 560, its pretty much an oc beast, but lacks in other departments compared to the 580.

I'll be powering with an nzxt 850w psu, so any SLI options are out (as of now).
screen res is 1980x1080, doubt i upgrade to a bigger monitor anytime soon, or add another monitor. P67GD65-2500k@4ghz

So my questions are.. which is a better option?
- Twin frozr 560 with high oc, or twin frozr 580 at stock or mild oc??
- Buying Twin frozr 560 with c300 ssd, or 580 by itself ran with a traditional hdd??
- What is the overclocking like for the twin frozr 580? Im assuming with the vrm and hsf combo, overclocking has to be spectacular for futureproofing.

I cant seem to find any comparisons of these two in web reviews or forums, so im hoping you all can shed some light on this last and final decision i have to make. *Whew!!!*

The GTX 580 is not really needed at that resolution. If you are worried about future proofing, almost certainly by the time the GTX 560 is too slow, the card you can buy at that time for ~$250 (price difference of the 2) will be faster than the GTX 580, along with other benefits. I wouldn't even be surprised if the next gen card out in a year at ~$250 will be faster than the GTX 580. This is not even factoring in you could resell that GTX 560 for even more value.

It would only be worth it if you wanted to do something not really typical like run extremely high AA (maybe super sampling even), push very high FPS due to using a 120hz or CRT, or etc.

You sure you couldn't power a pair of 560s with that PSU for SLI?

My 850 watt Corsair does two 570 Twin Frozrs without probs.

really?
i was under the assumption that you needed 1000+w to do any kind of sli.
well, the nzxt is a pretty well defined, stable, psu so i guess sli could be an option now??

if thats the case, then i can just get a 560 now, and add later. and it should be better than a single 580 right?

what are your benches like with the sli 570s? any crysis/warhead/metro results worth mentioning?
i want maxed out with all the real life/texture mods, etc etc.

well, i went ahead and bought the 560 twin frozr and 64gb c300.
if im not satisfied with the results for what i want, i'll just add another 560 at the end of the month :p

I think you'll be happy with your choice. I bought the same card a few weeks ago, and may also consider going SLI at a later date. However, I have a 750w PSU, and from what I've read, that seems to be closer to the tipping point. A high quality 750w PSU seems to be ok, otherwise maybe not. An 850w like you have should be more than ok.

really?
i was under the assumption that you needed 1000+w to do any kind of sli.
well, the nzxt is a pretty well defined, stable, psu so i guess sli could be an option now??

if thats the case, then i can just get a 560 now, and add later. and it should be better than a single 580 right?

what are your benches like with the sli 570s? any crysis/warhead/metro results worth mentioning?
i want maxed out with all the real life/texture mods, etc etc.

Not had a chance to do anything with my sandy bridge yet, in the workshop being Prime95d to death.

The i7 950 and 570s SLI ran pretty damn good. Maxed out, x4 AA and fps was usually 50-90 fps on average. Never recalled a dip below 50.

Yeah, getting the 560 will definitely leave room for a cheap upgrade, and you'll be fine with an 850w PSU. You'll probably rock most every game with just one, though. My 470 does fine on every game I play on highest settings.

Back