Much slower boot times..

Kelvie

Limp Gawd
I've recently installed SP2 and found that my boot time has almost doubled (it used to take 15 seconds to get to the login screen, now it takes about 25).

I just uninstalled SP2.. it was lagging the computer way too much. This did not fix the problem though.

The XP loading bar would never have to scroll over twice before SP2. Now it scrolls over 6+ times. Is there anything I could do to find out what's wrong with it?

I REALLY do not wish to reformat.

I use an LG LM50, 1.7ghz Dothan with ATI-M Radeon 9600 64mb. 7200rpm hard drive.

Also.. I've used bootvis, it doesn't help at all.

Edit:
Also, when I ran it in safe mode, it said that Windows was Build 2600, xp1sp2 or something like that, does that mean that when I uninstalled SP2, they kept the new kernel?

how often do you boot your computer that 10 more seconds it gonna have a major impact on your life? (compared to the fact that people spend 5+ years of their lives waiting in a line of some form)

Multiply that many times over (you turn on and off your computer many times), and it adds up.

Anyways.. back on topic.. any ideas?

At a guess to uninstall it compleatly would mean going through the registry and deleteing every mention of SP2 and doing it without hoseing the registry.
If you ran a restore point before you installed SP2 then just turn the clock back.
If not then its...........

Format C:..... :p

Luck......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

as i said, how many times DO you reboot?
i boot maybe once a week cause system is on 24/7.
10 seconds a week bothers me not :)

15 Seconds = Impressive. I can see how 25 seconds can scare you. Basically it slowed down due to SP2's extra "crap" a.k.a. security on your laptop. You know, I fail to see the point of having SP2 if I ran SP1 fine without ONE Virus, ONE Spyware, ONE adware, ONE malware, etc for 2 years straight...

I don't even think I care about SP2. It's for people who can't tell the difference between yes and no.

-J.

GeForceX said:
15 Seconds = Impressive. I can see how 25 seconds can scare you. Basically it slowed down due to SP2's extra "crap" a.k.a. security on your laptop. You know, I fail to see the point of having SP2 if I ran SP1 fine without ONE Virus, ONE Spyware, ONE adware, ONE malware, etc for 2 years straight...

I don't even think I care about SP2. It's for people who can't tell the difference between yes and no.

-J.
No kidding!

I've never had a problem with viruses once, I don't open suspicious emails, and I secure most things. I've uninstalled SP2, and it seems that there are still some remnants left over (I think it updated the kernel, and that can't be reversed).

Tom's Hardware claims they did a boot up in 23 seconds, which includes login and the opening of notepad - THAT is impressive. 15 seconds from pressing the switch to
getting to the XP login screen should be pretty normal for a new system (with a 7200rpm drive), I would hope.

Either way, it's more an annoyance than anything else. I want the best out of my computer, every second counts. I'm sure other people feel that way..

So any ideas how to reverse the kernel? Or monitor and disable things that run at boot when NT is loading?

SP2 booting is the same as SP1 for me. I formatted and installed a slipstreamed version of XP SP2 Pro. StatBar says about 25-30seconds when everything is booted up. It's actually a little more than that, but I don't know why your boot has slowed down so much. When I've had slow boot problems in the past I did the following:

Run Disc Cleanup > Run CHKDSK /F > Defreg > (Start>Run>"Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks"

Not sure what the last one does, but I found it here:
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/n1041630673

You know, the misinformation in this thread is amazing.

Kelvie, what else have you installed since installing SP2? Also, do you have services disabled? What tweaks do you have on your system as far as software and OS? These are all important to diagnose your problem. Blaming it on something because you don't know what happened is not a very accurate way to diagnose your problem.

I have three laptops, all running XP. The best way to save on boot time is to use the hibernate feature. By doing this, you save on boot times, battery times, and all the other non-critical things you probably take into account.

As for boot times, even a half-minute is not a bad thing. It means you have a lot of software that is preloading pieces into the memory. Most often, this is not the blame of the OS. Office suites (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.), media players (quicktime, realplayer, etc.), and plenty of other things (i.e.—adobe gamma loader) are what take the little extra time loading at bootup. If you want to reduce boot times, uninstall all the other software on your OS. You'll get blazingly-fast boot times then. ;)

Don't believe the bullshit scare-stories about SP2. For your laptop, you will enjoy easier wireless network settings with SP2, you can easily turn off Security Center alerts if you think you're cool enough to handle it yourself, and you get added kernel protection from having been recompiled with new buffer-overrun/underrun protection added. In other words, you would basically be ignoring common sense by avoiding SP2 altogether. If you are wary and want to wait and see what happens, feel free to be cautious. Don't let the misinformation and bullshit sway your decisions, though.

And once again: if this is a laptop, Use The Hibernate Capability

You know what, GreNME, for your sake I will install SP2. God damn. Not only that, I will compare benchmarks. If I lose one point on 3DMark or something, I'm going back.

:p

-J.

GeForceX said:
You know what, GreNME, for your sake I will install SP2. God damn. Not only that, I will compare benchmarks. If I lose one point on 3DMark or something, I'm going back.

:p

-J.
And I'm sure you won't do anything to poison the scores... :rolleyes:

It's not that I don't trust you, it's that you have repeatedly begun to assume you know a whole lot more about things you haven't even used than you really do know. You need to chill the hell out.

No no no, I'm not saying I know stuff. I'm actually right now asking you questions (in the other post). Well, it's just that I hate technology yet I love it. The rapid changing just puts me at discontent (did I even use that word right)...

Oh and, the fact that I'm being lied to... about the services. God damn. It hurts. It's like a girl telling me she loves me and I pretend I know all along until one day she tells me otherwise. It hurts, no? :(

-J.

I can see how it would hurt. That's the problem that pops up when some people who want to be thought of as "experts" decide to use the internet as their only source for half-hearted research.

Don't even trust the "experts" just because they say so. Either they give you a detailed explanation with repeatable verifiable results, or they are just guessing.

I personally noticed a performance decrease in XP.

I have a ghost saved up for just such an occasion, so I'll switch back to that.

As for all the services and software, it's pre-login screen that I'm worried about.

It never takes more than 10 seconds for all the startup programs and services to finish loading after I log in. The problem is in the NT loader.

As for security features, I don't think I need them. The first thing I did when I got SP2 was turn all those damn things off.

As for tweaks.. I don't have many of those.

And yes, I use the hibernate feature extensively, although it sometimes feels like I should restart every once in a while to boost performance.

Do any of you out there just hibernate and never shut down unless you're installing drivers or whatnot?

Kelvie said:
Do any of you out there just hibernate and never shut down unless you're installing drivers or whatnot?
On two of my three laptops. The only reason I don't on the third is because it's over 5 years old and has a whopping 3 GB of space to start off with.

Oh, and take it from the guy who has been reading over 200 pages of documentation on SP2 and its differences, there is a whole lot more than simple firewall & A/V monitoring in this service pack. Those are the things you turned off, not the crapload of other stuff. Also, it isn't just security, it's also giving the user more up-front control of settings (firewall profiles, wi-fi settings, IE safety, etc.). Don't discount it as "a bunch of security stuff you won't need," because it is a major upgrade. Security was their focus, there's no doubt, but the service pack contains a whole lot more.

Oh, did I mention more warning of things trying to automagically install? Betcha don't have that (and no, A/V & spyware cleaners aren't always pre-emptively successful).

Back