Multiple loops with one res?

seniorpaul

Limp Gawd
Ok, it's a long story but i've ended up with two of the new Thermochill PA120.3 rads, it sucks, i know :) . I was buying the first one to use in an external watercooling box, but now that i've got two to play with, i think i'm going to set up two loops. One that will cool two 7800GTX's(via slim profile Maze4's), and one that is going to cool my X24800+ and chipset (by Storm and EK-NF4 respectively).

Would i be able to have both loops using the same Resevoir? i was thinking about putting a "Y" connector after the res and one before. My two loops would then be res > "y" connector > pump > PA120.3 > Maze4 > Maze4 > "y"connector > Res AND res > "y" connector > pump > PA120.3 > Storm > EK-NF4 > "y" connector> res.

Room is quickly running out, so if i'm going to have to use a second res, i'm going to have to do some re-planning. I suppose i could also use a T-line for one of the loops. Anyway, would there be any problems if i were to run both loops from one Res?

The only problem I see here is that the temps of your ambient water are going to be the same all around cause the warmer water from the video cards will mix with the water from the CPU.

Punx_Clever said:
it would be a tubing nightmare methinks. I would go for the t-line/res combo

Well, since i'm going to be running dual loops, there's giong to be a lot of tubing running around either way. Although the t-line route would certainly be easier, and probably a little bit neater. Plus it's a kick in the pants since i just got a shipment from DangerDen yesterday.

TehRoflcopter said:
The only problem I see here is that the temps of your ambient water are going to be the same all around cause the warmer water from the video cards will mix with the water from the CPU.

admittedly, i'm still somewhat of a noob when it comes to watercooling. My thinking was that a PA120.3 was going to be a bit of overkill for either loop, and that they would adequately cool the water prior to getting to the blocks. Would i be wrong in this assumption?

I would still just run a single loop through a triple radiator. But then again, i'm not very knowledgeable (sp?) when it comes to dual cards and the kind of heat they put out. But, with a heatercore (dual rad) cooling my oc'd A-XP and 6800, i get respectable temps and pretty good OC's (2.4-2.5 ghz cpu speed and up to 400 core on a 6800 NU w/ no volt mods).

So, i figure with a triple you shouldn't have problems cooling an extra GPU.

It doesn't matter what order the blocks are placed in related to the radiator. The difference in temperature would be no more then 0.1*C, probably less, but don't hold that to me.

Me, personally, I'd run 1/2" to the y's and 3/8" to the loops to help minimize the tubing clutter and as to waterflow 1/2" tubing has the same area as 1.77 3/8's tubes so both loops together will flow more than a single 1/2" tube could provide. The only ways around that is to use a res with 4 fittings or run 5/8" tubing/fittings to and from the res but even then you'd still be under what 2 1/2" lines could flow.

Back