Multiple monitor setups with multi-GPU (CF and CF-on-a-card)

Harb

Limp Gawd
So while sifting through the 4870 x2 reviews and fantisizing about my upcoming system, I stumbled upon some blurbs about multiple GPU setups not working too well with multiple monitor setups.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I can't remember which review mentioned it, but they said that there are a few specific things a multi-GPU setup cannot do with multiple monitors.

First off, is this ANY setup with multiple GPU's, such as a 4870 x2, or only a setup that uses 2 cards in Crossfire/SLI?

Second, what sort of issues are there exactly. I know the article said that playing a game across two monitors is impossible. That's fine for me; my main screen is a 1080p 37" HDTV and my secondary is a 19" Viewsonic LCD. I only use the secondary as sort of an "info screen", I typically have my buddy list, iTunes, and Firefox running on it while gaming so I can see what music is playing, who is online, and maybe have a FAQ or something up. Will a dual-GPU card like the 4870 x2 disable this monitor while the game is running? That'd be a major bummer for me as I've become extremely accustomed to having that second monitor running during games; it sounds silly but I really like being able to keep an eye on my music and buddy list etc etc.

Third, is this something that could/will/may be fixed down the line in a driver update? I really want a multi-GPU setup in the future, but i don't really want to sacrifice practical usefulness in favor of sheer performance.

Thanks!

Are you referring to Multi Display while having CROSSFIRE on at the same time??

Because if multi display with multi graphic cards without any SLI or CROSSFIRE is totally POSSIBLE..

:)

1st: Only SLI is unable to use dual monitors. The newer ATI cards (Anything released with and after the HD3800 series) can use dual monitors with Crossfire enabled.

2nd: When SLI is enabled, the second monitor is deactivated. It cannot be used at all until SLI is disabled. Crossfire no longer has that problem.

3rd: Yes ATI fixed the dual monitor problem with driver updates. Nvidia hasn't, despite saying over the last two years that they will fix that problem.

Oh and my evidence/proof:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13967/3

Fantastic, thanks a ton for the info. My faith in CF setups has been restored :D

I have 4870 crossfireX and run 2 monitors with it enabled. Now adding a third monitor is where you run into issues. Crossfire disables the ports on the 2nd card.

1st: Only SLI is unable to use dual monitors. The newer ATI cards (Anything released with and after the HD3800 series) can use dual monitors with Crossfire enabled.

2nd: When SLI is enabled, the second monitor is deactivated. It cannot be used at all until SLI is disabled. Crossfire no longer has that problem.

3rd: Yes ATI fixed the dual monitor problem with driver updates. Nvidia hasn't, despite saying over the last two years that they will fix that problem.

Oh and my evidence/proof:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/13967/3

Actually, NVIDIA Quadro cards have been able to do this the whole time. It has nothing to do with driver problems, it has to do with marketing and paying a price premium. NVIDIA, ftl.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli.html :rolleyes:

Actually, NVIDIA Quadro cards have been able to do this the whole time. It has nothing to do with driver problems, it has to do with marketing and paying a price premium. NVIDIA, ftl.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli.html :rolleyes:

Huh, now that's stupid practice. Never knew the Quadro cards could do that. Nvidia FTL.

Though one thing is bugging me: It says "SLI multi-view" but does it really mean that you can enable SLI and use multiple monitors? Or does it mean that SLI capable video cards can use multiple monitors but not in SLI mode?

I have 4870 crossfireX and run 2 monitors with it enabled. Now adding a third monitor is where you run into issues. Crossfire disables the ports on the 2nd card.

Then, should you DISABLE Crossfire before you can actually use the 3rd monitor??

AFAIK when crossfire u can have only 2 monitor on the same card you can't do 2 monitor on 1 of each

NVIDIA's 180 / Big Bang II drivers will enabled multiple monitors w/ SLI or so I've read.

Huh, now that's stupid practice. Never knew the Quadro cards could do that. Nvidia FTL.

Though one thing is bugging me: It says "SLI multi-view" but does it really mean that you can enable SLI and use multiple monitors? Or does it mean that SLI capable video cards can use multiple monitors but not in SLI mode?

it's just in NON-SLI mode so 1st card rendering 1st monitor 2nd card will rendering 2nd monitor the if you enable SLI u will only can use 1 monitor. i have my quadro with me right now

Regarding dual-monitors with a CrossFire setup.

With CrossFire enabled, you can run dual monitors provided they are on the SAME card, you CANNOT run 1 monitor on card #1 and 1 monitor on card #2.

If you want to use monitors attached to different cards, you CANNOT have CrossFire enabled.

I hope this clears it up for most people :)

Regarding dual-monitors with a CrossFire setup.

With CrossFire enabled, you can run dual monitors provided they are on the SAME card, you CANNOT run 1 monitor on card #1 and 1 monitor on card #2.

If you want to use monitors attached to different cards, you CANNOT have CrossFire enabled.

I hope this clears it up for most people :)

That was helpful in my case. I'm considering throwing my 3870 in my sig rig, so I can use one system for gaming on my 24" and general office work on my 19". I will be upgrading to 8gb and 64-bit soon, so I should have the horsepower. I'm also upgrading to a Corsair 620w PSU this weekend.

I'd like to have different desktops on each LCD and won't bother if that's not possible. Is that doable?

I'm going to do some testing next week, but I'd be interested in opinions from [H] members.

That was helpful in my case. I'm considering throwing my 3870 in my sig rig, so I can use one system for gaming on my 24" and general office work on my 19". I will be upgrading to 8gb and 64-bit soon, so I should have the horsepower. I'm also upgrading to a Corsair 620w PSU this weekend.

I'd like to have different desktops on each LCD and won't bother if that's not possible. Is that doable?

I'm going to do some testing next week, but I'd be interested in opinions from [H] members.

You're setting up 2 seperate rigs, or are you putting a 3870 + your existing 4870? Because you can't CF the two cards.

You can do extended desktop and clone desktop, however ATI does have HydraVision which may provide you with some extended functionality providing you with custom profiles for specific programs, and breaking the desktop down into sections.

However, I don't believe Vista has multiple "desktops" like Linux, but extended desktop is "similar".

You're setting up 2 seperate rigs, or are you putting a 3870 + your existing 4870? Because you can't CF the two cards.

I'm thinking of using both card in one rig, with separate or extended desktops. I don't have any desire to CF the cards. The 3870 is actually a holdover from my CF testing.

An extended desktop across two monitors could work, provided Hydravision can isolate and maintain my views on each monitor. I'd like to game on my 24" panel, and use my 19" panel for browsing, etc.

I could use the both monitors with just my 4870, but I'm really curious if two separate cards and monitors gets around some of the limitations of using two monitors with one card.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll be experimenting over the weekend and I'll post how it works out.

Back