Multiple wireless routers?

ilikecake

Gawd
I have a quick (I hope) question:

I use the DGL-4300 as my primary router. I recently rearranged my network and moved this router to the basement. In order to have good wireless access upstairs, I got a Buffalo WHR-G54S router to use as an access point. The access point will be connected to my wired network.

Is it possible to use both routers' wireless antennas to expand the coverage area above what my DGL-4300 is producing? Or will I have to turn off the antenna on the DGL-4300 if I start using the Buffalo router as an AP?

If so, is there any special settings I have to use, or can I just set up both routers with the same channel, SSID and WPA encryption keys?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I flashed the Buffalo router with DD-WRT.

I've done it in my house before with two wifi routers. I had the same SSID, same encryption, etc. I just kept them both on different channels and never had a problem. When you get low signal, switch over to the other AP. Keep two profiles on your wifi program on the PC.

Also, in DD-WRT, isn't there a way to link up the access points and use them together to expand range? I'm running DDWRT on my linksys, but I never really got into checking out many of the different wifi settings. I think it might be called client bridged mode or something. Maybe someone more familiar with it can clarify for us.

Is it possible to use both routers' wireless antennas to expand the coverage area above what my DGL-4300 is producing?

Yes, just disable all the routing stuff and set it to AP mode, use the same channel and SSID as on the D-Link AP and they will work together. If you want to use the ethernet ports on the router too, set it up in WDS bridging. If you do it like the above poster, you will have to manually change to the other AP if you get out of range, but by setting the APs on the same channel the wireless client should automatically connect to the stronger signal as you move around.

They will definately work fine together, as has been stated by w1retap.

Just make sure that you're using the non-overlapping channels, 1,6, or 11.

Might be a good idea to run Netstumbler ahead of time to find out what channels your neighbors might be using, so you don't end up close to one of theirs.

if you have 2 buffalo routers, u can set one up for WDS Bridging. i dont know if you can with 2 different model routers. but yeah turn of dhcp, same wifi name

From what I understand (which isn't that much) WDS is used when there isn't a physical link (cable) between the routers, but you want one to repeat the signal of the other. I do have a physical link and therefore I dunno if WDS is what I want to use.

I would prefer something that is transparent to the user and the computer just connects to whichever has the better signal because my roommates aren't the most tech savvy people in the world. As such, I would prefer not to have to use different channels if possible. What would happen if I set the routers to the same channel? Will they interfere with each other?

From what I understand (which isn't that much) WDS is used when there isn't a physical link (cable) between the routers, but you want one to repeat the signal of the other. I do have a physical link and therefore I dunno if WDS is what I want to use.

That's correct, I only suggested it if you wanted to use the ethernet ports on the Buffalo router to connect wired computers and act as an AP at the same time.

I would prefer something that is transparent to the user and the computer just connects to whichever has the better signal because my roommates aren't the most tech savvy people in the world. As such, I would prefer not to have to use different channels if possible. What would happen if I set the routers to the same channel? Will they interfere with each other?

My first suggestion should work for you. I can't tell you what specifically to set because I'm doing the opposite of you. I'm using a Buffalo as my main router/AP with an old D-Link DI-624 as a secondary AP to extend the range.

One of the Buffalo routers ie in my room connected to the cable modem with two PCs acting as a router/AP. The other at the opposite end of the house in client/bridge mode with two wired PCs behind it.

The two Buffalo's talking together get good signal strength, but when using my notebook in there, the signal is weak on it. I got out my old D-Link router and by trial and error found a way to hook it to the other Buffalo and act as an AP for when I use my notebook in there.

Since the D-Link is connected to the Buffalo, which connects to the network wirelessly, I had to set up a MAC filter on that Buffalo so it would only connect with the other Buffalo router and not try to connect to the D-Link. Then I set the D-Link with the same SSID, channel and encryption. You can't disable the router on the D-Link, so I just set it to static IP mode, put in a non routable IP, disabled DHCP and all other services. Now when using my notebook it will switch between the two APs automatically depending on where I am in the house.

I just thought of an easier way for you to set up. I have DD-WRT on my Buffalo's too. If you go to the Status/Wireless page, at the bottom click Site Survey. On the popup window, find your network and click the Join Site button. It should set itself up to join that network. I haven't actually tried that, so I don't know for sure if that will work.

Back