multiprocessor AMD 64

There are boards for the Athlon 64 that have two sockets, however, you can't run both CPUs at the same time. There are workstation boards for the Opteron that have 2 or 4 sockets, but they probably don't meet your budget needs.

That said, the Athlon 64 in its current iteration will never run in a multiprocessor configuration because the HyperTransport links that would provide the necessary bandwidth have been disabled on the processor die.

that's not entirely true..

somebody could design a board with custom SMP interconnects & whatnot...

Yes, but there is a bandwidth limitation that prevents interprocessor communication from being very good. The HyperTransport links can provide the necessary bandwidth, but they have been reduced to 1 coherent link on the Athlon 64 and Opteron 100 series, which is inadequate.

1). AMD chips don't fight. No "duels" around here.

2). If you want a "dual" cpu setup, the only game in town is the 940 pin Opteron.

Or option 2 for dual cpu in athlon64 variety...
dual core athlon64's which will happen eventually , of course i'd say definetly only socket939. (i know they are currently only for socket 940, but i think its pretty safe to say socket 939 will get dual core someday)

7718 said:
Or option 2 for dual cpu in athlon64 variety...
dual core athlon64's which will happen eventually , of course i'd say definetly only socket939. (i know they are currently only for socket 940, but i think its pretty safe to say socket 939 will get dual core someday)

I have a feeling that the dual core thing is going to trail on forever like the athlon 64 did before it has any chance of release

DermicSavage said:
I have a feeling that the dual core thing is going to trail on forever like the athlon 64 did before it has any chance of release

Nah, dual core wont take that long. From what I hear both the xbox2 and PS3 will have multicore processors. And if they will put something like that into a console, they will have to be cheap enough which will mean they should be out to the open public by then. So we're talking another year for consoles, so about 6months for PC?

DermicSavage said:
It all depends on the progress of the 90 nanometer fabrication process. We have been hearing generally sketchy reports about the AMD's 90 nm process, but with parts beginning to fall in people's hands it will all flesh out over the next few weeks. AMD has already demonstrated earlier this month that they can make working dual core processors. Now it's up to the process maturity and production capacity to determine when they can be produced.

jubei said:
Nah, dual core wont take that long. From what I hear both the xbox2 and PS3 will have multicore processors. And if they will put something like that into a console, they will have to be cheap enough which will mean they should be out to the open public by then. So we're talking another year for consoles, so about 6months for PC?

Except neither of those are using AMD or Intel processors. Xbox 2 is using an IBM G5 and the Sony proc is their own design.

almostinsane1 said:
Except neither of those are using AMD or Intel processors. Xbox 2 is using an IBM G5 and the Sony proc is their own design.

True, true, but the point is, the technology isn't that far off. Im just saying that if sony will bring a multicore processor to their ps3 and make it cheap enough to manufacture by then, amd and intel will most definately have theirs as well

The Nuon had 4 cores on a single processor (or was originally specced to have 4 - may have had 2 when it was released), so the tech has been around a while, it's just getting the size down that would be the problem I'd imagine (Nuon processors were feeble (therefore simple and small), but there were to be 4 of them). Bigger squares of silicon means much fewer chips from your circular 300mm wafer, more wasted space, much longer lead times. Plus getting all the extra data to the cpus so they're not doing nothing all day means extra data paths - probably more pins (can DDR2 keep up?). Could a pair of A64s share a Hypertransport link?

xonik said:
Yes, but there is a bandwidth limitation that prevents interprocessor communication from being very good. The HyperTransport links can provide the necessary bandwidth, but they have been reduced to 1 coherent link on the Athlon 64 and Opteron 100 series, which is inadequate.

So it'd be just like using Xeons ;)

sorry about duel vs dual.... :eek:

but i have a queston... would a the fastest AMD64 or P4 run more FLOpS? the P4 is substantaly faster then the AMD, right?

im building a vapor-water system and i dont want to leave it hooked up to my 2500 forever, that would be kinda a waste. im just trying to figure out which prossesor would be worthy of the system

According to the spec.org CFP2000 floating-point benchmark, an AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 in stock configuration reached a base score of 1594, while an Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.4 GHz mustered 1544. It might also be worth noting that a 'Nocona' Xeon 3.6 GHz, essentially a 'Prescott' 3.6 GHz, scored 1502 on the floating-point benchmark.

http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/cpu2000.html#SPECfp

Back