Mushkin HP2 vs XP2: How do you tell?

skizzled

[H]ard|Gawd
As I sit here waiting for my new hardware to come I couldn't help but relive what I thought when I first built the system in my signature with an E2180 back in November. My memory is Mushkin HP2-6400, atleast that is what I'm lead to believe. The thing that I'm most curious about is the color of the heatspreaders on my kit. They are Black like the XP2's but every single review I've seen and even the official Mushkin site shows HP2's with Blue heatspreaders. Is there any real way to tell if I got XP2's or HP2's besides taking off the heatspreaders? What makes this even more interesting is that I can overclock these modules to 1000mhz on stock voltages of 1.8v. I haven't tried higher but every review I've read requires a bump in volts to get them that high. Maybe I have some freakazoid ram, I don't know. Any insight on finding out what these are would be greatly appreciated.

Where did you buy the RAM? The black heatspreaders are supposed to mean XP, and blue is supposed to mean HP, but I've seen people on the Mushkin forums ask for their preferred color and the Mushkin guys changed the heatspreaders out before sending it.

there should be stickers on the heat spreaders. from the model number on the sticker you will be able to tell what you have.

Yeap, the sticker, and in SPD in CPU-z will show the actual model number as well.

And yes, I have asked for custom heatspreader switching and got a no problem answer so many people may have done the same.

Xp is better but of course you know that. So if you did get Xp's instead be happy!

Models can be found here once you get the numbers(And of course you know this as well surely)>>>
Code:
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/performance/

I ordered them from Newegg and didn't realize they actually send whatever color you ask for, thats pretty cool. The model number and timings on the little sticker match the 2x2gb 5-4-4-12 set and from what I remember, the SPD from CPU-Z shows nothing under 5-4-4-12 (I could be wrong as I can't exactly check right now). So I'm guessing I just got a really good HP2 kit that can overclock really well. I'll be sure to test out some lower latencies when I get my new parts. It just struck me as kind of odd that they would do 1000mhz at 1.8v, albeit with loose timings as I haven't extensively tested them.

Newegg doesnt send out Color by choice, you must ask mushkin directly over the phone when making a credit card purchase.

Post a screenshot of the SPD tab in cpu-z. The settings may differ from 5-4-4-12 because of your bios settings, the spd tab will show the model number. If they are black from newegg you likely got XP set on accident from them.

Only a CPU-z SPD tab image will tell all the info.

My previous set of Mushkin HP-2 also worked very well. But they had the blue heatspreader and were labelled as HP-2. My current set, newer but the same model, doesn't perform quite as well. However, it would be nice if you did accidently get a set of XP2 ram:cool:

These things are definitly badass. Would be more awesome if they turn out to be XP2's. I wish there was a way to see the SPD without having a computer. If I ever have to build another computer, I'm going with Mushkin without a doubt.

Ya, I'm stuck on <Mushkin's myself! I now hate those Paper thin heatspreaders most have after using mushkins

Back