Music library storage/backup

thekipper

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I currently have 175gb of mp3 files. I currently back them up to 3 separate externals plus 2 internal drives on two separate pc's (same network). Some of these mp3's were bought with Amazon mp3/Google Music but the bulk of them I've accumulated since high school and I still have the actual CD's :woot: I'm 43 so that's several years and a lot of ripping. I'm getting ready to put the discs in storage because the wife wants the space freed up in the basement.

So, if I move my discs to storage, I'd like to have the mp3's backed up to the cloud. Any recommendations? I just DO NOT want to be ripping these ever again lol. They are all 320 kbs files and I just want another, non physical backup.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi,
I currently have 175gb of mp3 files. I currently back them up to 3 separate externals plus 2 internal drives on two separate pc's (same network). Some of these mp3's were bought with Amazon mp3/Google Music but the bulk of them I've accumulated since high school and I still have the actual CD's :woot: I'm 43 so that's several years and a lot of ripping. I'm getting ready to put the discs in storage because the wife wants the space freed up in the basement.

So, if I move my discs to storage, I'd like to have the mp3's backed up to the cloud. Any recommendations? I just DO NOT want to be ripping these ever again lol. They are all 320 kbs files and I just want another, non physical backup.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

OneDrive. If you get the $100 per year Office 365 subscription you can get well over a TB of space. There's a OneDrive app for any device you can think of that would give you access to the music. Additionally it integrates with Groove Music on Win10/Win Phone/IOS/Android and can stream any song from there. You can also use the music.microsoft.com website to access all the music you upload from any browser if an app is not available. You can also share out your music to anyone else you want and they can stream it and listen to it in a similar fashion.

It would take a while to upload that much music depending on your internet connection upload speed. A hey you can try it out with the free 5GB of space they give you to see if you like it before dropping the money on the subscription.

Seagate has some portable USB drives right now that come with 2 years free of 200GB OneDrive. Good deal if you have use for a portable drive as well as the storage. Onedrive works well enough, not as integrated with a phone as Google drive but there are apps to overcome that.

I just use CrashPlan. Aren't the upload speeds on OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. horrible?

You have them in 5 places and you're worried about what that the cloud will protect you from? Just keep one of the externals in your desk at work or a friend's house.

Hi,

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

For $25/year you can store them on Amazon Music. I don't believe there is a limit.

I have a google pro account (runs my domain and jazz) so I get an Unlimited Google Drive. It's something like $10/month/account, so it's all the bells and whistles just for me.

That said.... Crashplan is great. Haven't implemented it at home yet, but it does wonders at work!

All that effort for mp3s. Should have ripped to flac and done it properly.

Meh, I have no use for flac. I can tell the difference between 192 and 320. I've done the flac vs mp3 test and can't hear any difference. I'm not one of those head-fi peeps's, just need it all in one place and portable:)

If I had a shit ton of McIntosh components and Sennheiser HD800's, it would be different. Or if I cared about that stuff lol.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

And no, I don't have a 46 TB server either! Damn, that's huge.

For $25/year you can store them on Amazon Music. I don't believe there is a limit.

What I did not like about Amazon (and this was about 3 years ago), was that there was no synchronizing between what was in my local library and what was in the cloud. Meaning that if I updated metadata on a song in my local library, it did not get updated in the cloud version. I also can't remember if the "comment" field was preserved when you downloaded from Amazon. There also was issues with deleting music and reuploading it.

When they raised the price up to $25 I switched to Apple Match (since I am a iTunes user anyways) and all those issues went away. Having all my music and playlists sync'ed across OSX, Windows, and iOS is excellent.

Google Play allows you to upload 50,000 songs per account too, just something to consider as a third or even fourth option just to have it. The downside to this action is they do the stupid "match" crap which can wreck the tags if you did them yourself and they can screw up the embedded artwork if you do that. I always do my own tagging since I do my own rips only, to FLAC from CD with the CDs in environmentally controlled storage, like over 3,000 of 'em since I've been buying CDs since 1985, then use the FLAC as needed and transcoded to Opus for mobile use on my smartphones and devices) and I embed the artwork in the files natively too.

I've got like 31,000 songs on Google Play anyway just as the "well they offered to do it free so I'm taking advantage of it" and so I have the music someplace else just in case. ;)

Does anyone allow FLAC uploading yet?

I kind of hope apple would allow lossless AAC, but they do not.

Meh, I have no use for flac. I can tell the difference between 192 and 320. I've done the flac vs mp3 test and can't hear any difference. I'm not one of those head-fi peeps's, just need it all in one place and portable:)

If I had a shit ton of McIntosh components and Sennheiser HD800's, it would be different. Or if I cared about that stuff lol.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

And no, I don't have a 46 TB server either! Damn, that's huge.

It's not (necessarily) about listening experience, though FLAC (and lossless in general) is great for that on a decent (not even high-end) system. FLAC gives you the ability to perfectly recreate the CD without having to go back and re-rip that CD. It's a very good way to future-proof.

For example, my setup is to rip each CD to a single image with and embedded CUE sheet and album art. From there I can run scripts that will transcode a FLAC image to ALAC (i.e., Apple lossless) for the car iPod, or to MP3 for smaller, lower-quality players (e.g., my phone).

For all three formats for my ~1100 albums/14,000 tracks, total space taken is <800 GB. For offsite backup you'd only need to back up the master archive format (i.e., FLAC), so it would be significantly less.

Google Play allows you to upload 50,000 songs per account too, just something to consider as a third or even fourth option just to have it. The downside to this action is they do the stupid "match" crap which can wreck the tags if you did them yourself and they can screw up the embedded artwork if you do that. I always do my own tagging since I do my own rips only, to FLAC from CD with the CDs in environmentally controlled storage, like over 3,000 of 'em since I've been buying CDs since 1985, then use the FLAC as needed and transcoded to Opus for mobile use on my smartphones and devices) and I embed the artwork in the files natively too.

I've got like 31,000 songs on Google Play anyway just as the "well they offered to do it free so I'm taking advantage of it" and so I have the music someplace else just in case. ;)

Does it allow WinMeda Lossless ?

It's not (necessarily) about listening experience, though FLAC (and lossless in general) is great for that on a decent (not even high-end) system. FLAC gives you the ability to perfectly recreate the CD without having to go back and re-rip that CD. It's a very good way to future-proof.

For example, my setup is to rip each CD to a single image with and embedded CUE sheet and album art. From there I can run scripts that will transcode a FLAC image to ALAC (i.e., Apple lossless) for the car iPod, or to MP3 for smaller, lower-quality players (e.g., my phone).

For all three formats for my ~1100 albums/14,000 tracks, total space taken is <800 GB. For offsite backup you'd only need to back up the master archive format (i.e., FLAC), so it would be significantly less.

I do exactly the same, except I use Windows Media Lossless. I just find the ripper in Windows Media Player to do better tagging than most programs. I normally use dbPowerAmp for all conversion stuff, which it is awesome at, but I never cared for it's tagging.

I just tried to set up Google Play music on my system, and ran into that same, pain in the ass dual account bullshit that Google has had a problem with forever.

My Chrome Browser is signed in to my main Google Account. But can I simply upload my music? Nooooo! This is fucking GOOGLE! I have to sign out and sign back in under the account I use solely for YouTube. Which of course doesn't have all the extensions and other sync'd stuff I need.

Screw it. I tried. At least as hard as I'm willing to Try.

But can I simply upload my music? Nooooo! This is fucking GOOGLE! I have to sign out and sign back in under the account I use solely for YouTube.
This is how website logins work - it's not unique to Google.

Easiest workaround? Use a different browser OR an incognito window.

Back