Must have pocket pc apps

Peach

Gawd
I have a Toshiba PocketPC e355, and I have no idea what to do with it. It was given to me by a family member. Any good sites for apps, tweaks, cool stuff? I'm a computer technician at my work and I think this would be a useful tool if I could find any use for it.

I'm in the same boat, cept mines like 4 years old so I dunno if it can do anything lol

lets see it's a... Compaq iPAQ 3670... anyone got any suggestions what to do w/ it?

I'd like to be able to take notes with it with the ability to draw on the notes as well, I have a foldup keyboard that works with it.

spb Pocket Plus is a must have. It's not free but for $10 you get a ton of usefull options.
Skinning, a nice battery bar at the top showing battery life, a full featured Internet Explorer w/ java, an actual close button (default when you tap the X the app minimizes), tabbed Today screen, a richer file explorer (more like the one build into x86 Windows) and a Safe Mode startup.

It's well worth the money and can add a whole new level of usability especialy if you're not familiar with the PocketPC way of doing things.

The thing about PocketPC's is that you need something to do with them. You need to have an intended purpose. Otherwise. They do just about everything. I use mine primarily for managing my information. Contacts, calendars, ewallet, finance tracking. And it comes very much in handy for flight school with an elctronic E6-B, Airport info and quizzing (and GPS mapping when I can affored the app). I also use it to stay mobile. It's easier to carry a PocketPC everywhere rather than a laptop when out and about or traveling. It's also very handy when you run into waiting periods or long lines. All I have to do is plug in my headphones and load up a playlist or an episode of ATHF or a game and I'm no longer bored. I also keep some photos on there since I'm a photo major and people get curious. I just bust out the iPAQ and show them my style. It's got a million and 1 uses depending on the apps you have. The thing is most freeware apps suck. And the good ones you have to pay for. But it does actually make this thing practical. There are a bunch of cheap PocketPC's on ebay because people buy them because they're cool and end up having no idea how to actually make use of them.

Some good sites are www.pocketgear.com, www.memoware.com, www.pdacorps.com, www.pdagold.com,

i've been looking for a good rss reader but every time i look, i am a bit overwhealmed by the options. i'd like to sync in the am, and have everything on there to read on my train commute.

swoop56 said:
The thing about PocketPC's is that you need something to do with them. You need to have an intended purpose. Otherwise. They do just about everything. I use mine primarily for managing my information. Contacts, calendars, ewallet, finance tracking. And it comes very much in handy for flight school with an elctronic E6-B, Airport info and quizzing (and GPS mapping when I can affored the app). I also use it to stay mobile. It's easier to carry a PocketPC everywhere rather than a laptop when out and about or traveling. It's also very handy when you run into waiting periods or long lines. All I have to do is plug in my headphones and load up a playlist or an episode of ATHF or a game and I'm no longer bored. I also keep some photos on there since I'm a photo major and people get curious. I just bust out the iPAQ and show them my style. It's got a million and 1 uses depending on the apps you have. The thing is most freeware apps suck. And the good ones you have to pay for. But it does actually make this thing practical. There are a bunch of cheap PocketPC's on ebay because people buy them because they're cool and end up having no idea how to actually make use of them.

Some good sites are www.pocketgear.com, www.memoware.com, www.pdacorps.com, www.pdagold.com,

swoop,

The way it sounds you are a pilot like myself, i have a nice little pocket pc and was wondering what apps you recommend for flying (weather, approach charts, E6B, etc....)

Thanks,

cooter said:
swoop,

The way it sounds you are a pilot like myself, i have a nice little pocket pc and was wondering what apps you recommend for flying (weather, approach charts, E6B, etc....)

Thanks,

I just purchased Airport Insight which is like a digital version of the Airport Facility Directory.

I also use FlyteLog2003 to keep track of my hours and expenses. It's an electronic logbook. I'm a solo certified student pilot with 62 hours. Every trip to the FBO is a fortune and this keeps track of where my money goes as well as time in the air. :)

For E6-B functions I use Niborex E6-B. It works great and it's well laid out with large buttons so you don't need a stylus. All of these apps have worked great for me. I havn't yet used my iPAQ in the air. But for flight planning it's worked great. I'm still looking for something that'll give me weather but I havn't found it yet. It's easier just to call up the ASOS. I'm not quite ready to splurge on GPS mapping software. I have an app for the car but I'm still deciding if I wan't to spend the chunk of money and go with a dedicated GPS unit or buy software for the PocketPC. If I end up using my PocketPC. I'll probably go with NavGPS Pro. My concern with having the PocketPC in the cockpit is relying on it too much and/or being distracted from operating the aircraft and scanning for traffic. Maybe someday I'll bring it along with me once I have my private. Until then I'd rather play it safe with the old stuff and not make a mistake and stick to sectionals, VOR's and wx-brief.

swoop56 said:
I just purchased Airport Insight which is like a digital version of the Airport Facility Directory.

I also use FlyteLog2003 to keep track of my hours and expenses. It's an electronic logbook. I'm a solo certified student pilot with 62 hours. Every trip to the FBO is a fortune and this keeps track of where my money goes as well as time in the air. :)

For E6-B functions I use Niborex E6-B. It works great and it's well laid out with large buttons so you don't need a stylus. All of these apps have worked great for me. I havn't yet used my iPAQ in the air. But for flight planning it's worked great. I'm still looking for something that'll give me weather but I havn't found it yet. It's easier just to call up the ASOS. I'm not quite ready to splurge on GPS mapping software. I have an app for the car but I'm still deciding if I wan't to spend the chunk of money and go with a dedicated GPS unit or buy software for the PocketPC. If I end up using my PocketPC. I'll probably go with NavGPS Pro. My concern with having the PocketPC in the cockpit is relying on it too much and/or being distracted from operating the aircraft and scanning for traffic. Maybe someday I'll bring it along with me once I have my private. Until then I'd rather play it safe with the old stuff and not make a mistake and stick to sectionals, VOR's and wx-brief.

Thanks for the info swoop, i'll look these up and try them out. If you are even in Florida and want to go flying PM me, i am a CFI/I.

Some other Non mobile solutions.

www.duats.com - the only other official site for getting weather or filiing flight plans
AOPA has a nice little flight planning program that you can download.
www.iflypete.com - has all sorts of random flying information.

A buddy of mine is using his iPAQ to emulate SNES games. That's pretty sweet. I'd also load up a copy of mini stumbler, oh yeah and who could forget skype.

A quick slip over to sourceforge.net yielded some interesting results

Back