MW2 multiplayer question for those that have it

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
How does the game choose the sever? I was talking to a guy at work that owns it and had asked him about the multiplayer. He said that he never had any lag issues and that if the host got bored and quit, the game would pause for 1-2 seconds and change the host to someone else in the group so it wouldn't screw the rest of the people (like cod4 did on consoles... very frustrating).

Have any of you noticed any lag issues? I wonder if the game will always switch the host to the person with the most bandwidth so to avoid high pings.

typically it switches to the second person that joined the server.. thats how most p2p server hosts work..

i have been playing a fair amount of mp on 360, and there have been a lot of times were lag is just horrible and then the system will stop the game a pick a new a host and pick up the game where it paused it. and other times when its just plain laggy. but the majority of the games i have played have been lag free.

I have the PC version and have about 3 hours in MP and have had one match where lag was noticeable (as in, game disrupting). Other than that I have had a good experience.

PC version... no lag here either. I've had 2 host migrations in about 6-7 hours of playing MP. If the first host quits, the game chooses the next best host and it continues from there. The delay is about 10 seconds total... It's not ideal, but it's not terrible either.

To pick a host it determines who has the best connection to everyone in the party. There actually are some more stats now when joining on your own that display in the corner and show it testing connection quality and such.

The only thing that throws this off is that sometimes is someone will join a friend and thus bypass the p2p process. There also are sometimes groups of people that try to go into matchmaking and are really not that compatible with each other (I have a few friends like that with myself) and thus the host selection process is really tested. That is why sometimes you will see one or two with a bad connection.

Overall there have been very few laggy or bad games and I have played around 15hrs total now of MP. The new host migration works very well compared to COD4 and the p2p seems to be a bit better at picking a good host even though there is the odd bad game mixed in (not very many overall though).

typically it switches to the second person that joined the server.. thats how most p2p server hosts work..

No, it evaluates who will be the next best connection to everyone.

Coming from mw1 on the pc to mw2 on the 360, I've gotta say the lag is pretty bad and noticeable even at the best of times. The most annoying thing ever is to have a guy run around a corner at you and the split second you see him you're dead. Then you watch the kill cam and see he had more than a enough time to come around, see you, aim and shoot. Where the hell is the option to only look for good connections like halo 3 has. I would much prefer to wait a little longer for a good game then jump right into a shitty one. I would also like to see an option to avoid oversees players and only look for local connections. I couple times now I've been in games with people from the uk and germany with their 1 or 2 bars...

Back