MW2 Single Player

It really doesn't matter about campaigns any more. I mean, chances are that you only need to play the campaign once and your good. What's going to make a person keep the game is the multiplayer, and it looks like IW really hit the mark with this one.:D (except for blocking party chat of course:rolleyes:)

*POSSIBLE MINUTE SPOILER* am I the only one that thinks single player mode is fucking shite? yer the graphics are great, the animation is great. the russian shopping mall was totally uneccessary, sick and twisted, the amount of people fleeing every 30 seconds just wouldn't happen, infact it was so bad I didn't even pull the trigger, I guess this was what the disclaimers were for!it would have been ok if it was waves of the enemy! . I know its the same series but I feel like I'm playing cod4 single player all over again. I definately would pay full price for this just for the single player. oh and the first level when the action kicks in, I couldn't see what the fuck was going on for most of it, it felt like 10min of blind fire

then dont play that mission, it asks you before you even start the campaign if you want to play or skip it. and if you are in the middle of the mission, you can pause it and there is still an option to skip the mission. dont trash a voluntary part of the game if you choose to play it

So am I the only one that didn't like the single player campaign because I thought the story was disjointed, very anti-American, and had enough holes in it to make Michael Bay proud?

I don't want to discuss specifics here but if some one starts a SPOILERS-thread I will be happy to state examples of things that drove me nuts.

As for the Multi-player aspect I am extremely satisfied. I thought Mw1 was great, and they did not break it int this version. The maps are more diverse. It seems that they spent time to address glitches and make things fair. There are more weapons and tons of new challenges to make this even more fun than the original. They removed a bunch of perks put in some new ones and added more benefits for kill streaks.

All in all this may be the Best CoD yet now if only I could only figure out these MP maps.

Ohand if anyone is playing on the PS3 send me an invite some time PSN name: drowis

then dont play that mission, it asks you before you even start the campaign if you want to play or skip it. and if you are in the middle of the mission, you can pause it and there is still an option to skip the mission. dont trash a voluntary part of the game if you choose to play it

*SPOILER*
FFS I didnt see anywhere where it said youd be mowing down hundreds of innocent people, all i saw is a couple of things that said the level might be quite disturbing. That could have meant anything, ie someone being tortured ala SAW series, Shooting a Taliban Head off with a 50cal in graphic detail Things id gladly watch on a video game. It could have been a thousand other things, point is that is the one thing that made my stomach go, there was no warning of the detail of what was going to happen, Point is if it was just an initial crowd killing it wouldnt have been as bad, but come on it was so tasteless it randomly at different times sent out 50-60 civilians to be shot, youd have thought these civilians would have heard the initial gunshots and fled ages ago but no IW had to script in plenty of waves running out of shopping stores that were oblivious to prior gunshots and screaming!!!! i can stomach silly gore, limbs coming off the enemy and terrorists, bone crunching, ridiculous swearing, prostitution etc in a game which i thought the disclaimers meant, NOT being a terrorist and killing wave after wave in huge graphical detail so yes i can trash the voluntary level as it didnt describe the actual content Properly, and yes i did end up quiting the mission.

Last edited:
i played up to about half way through the 4th mission and it seems pretty lame so far. Reminds me of other times i've played call of duty single player games and not been impressed. Multiplayer is fun tho.

If anyone is wondering how they would have the same feeling as me, I think crysis is my favorite single player campaign i've played since half life 2. So if you liked the style of crysis, you might not like MW2 single player.

The airport mission was the best part.

IIRC, mission 1 of Act 2 is in the blowing snow...where it's near impossible to see the enemy because of the blowing snow.

You might be right; I'm on the mission where you need to protect Raptor and defend Burger Town...

*SPOILER*
FFS I didnt see anywhere where it said youd be mowing down hundreds of innocent people, all i saw is a couple of things that said the level might be quite disturbing. That could have meant anything, ie someone being tortured ala SAW series, Shooting a Taliban Head off with a 50cal in graphic detail Things id gladly watch on a video game. It could have been a thousand other things, point is that is the one thing that made my stomach go, there was no warning of the detail of what was going to happen, Point is if it was just an initial crowd killing it wouldnt have been as bad, but come on it was so tasteless it randomly at different times sent out 50-60 civilians to be shot, youd have thought these civilians would have heard the initial gunshots and fled ages ago but no IW had to script in plenty of waves running out of shopping stores that were oblivious to prior gunshots and screaming!!!! i can stomach silly gore, limbs coming off the enemy and terrorists, bone crunching, ridiculous swearing, prostitution etc in a game which i thought the disclaimers meant, NOT being a terrorist and killing wave after wave in huge graphical detail so yes i can trash the voluntary level as it didnt describe the actual content Properly, and yes i did end up quiting the mission.

Just so you know. That was not a shopping mall it was an airport. Airports are not really know for easy access points. The mission was also critical to the storyline. it was the whole reason for the rest of the story. Since you put the Spoiler tag on this you should know that the whole reson the Russians attacked the US was the massacre in that airport. Finding the body of an American there supposedly sent the Russians off the deep end.

I think that if IW put a warning describing what you want to be warned about it would have completely revealed the storyline in advance. As you said before you really do not have to pull the trigger to complete that chapter so you do not have to participate in that activity. I personally did not like the storyline but it was not for that scene alone there were many holes and inaccuracies that made me feel the game was just preaching an anti-American sentiment that felt out of place, but they are not just selling this thing in the USA so it could just be my bias. ( Hell I don't think it would have worried me if they made the Russians the bad guy like every 1980's Hollywood film and that would have been just as wrong. )

NOT being a terrorist and killing wave after wave in huge graphical detail so yes i can trash the voluntary level as it didnt describe the actual content Properly, and yes i did end up quiting the mission.

Negative. You were not a terrorist. You were an undercover CIA Agent Carrying out a mission. Go replay it.

I am incredibly underwhelmed by this game. When i'm playing it, I feel like i'm on speed or something (whatever that feels like). The reason I say that is because to me it feels like the pacing of the game is very hurried.

This isn't really a spoiler, but during the third mission I think it is when you are in Rio De Janeiro is so annoying. It's just going through a maze killing guys interspersed with civilians. I felt like I was playing the training mission in "The Pit" again. And, once you start chasing that guy or whatever that guy over the radio just will not shut the fuck up. He feels like he has to comment on everytime he takes one freaking step.

To me, if it feels like they got the pace of the game wrong. As soon as I stop to look around or deviate slightly from where i'm supposed to go, the other team mates are likes," Let's go... do this." Then 3 seconds later," Let's go... do this." The pacing is all wrong... it seems like you are just hurrying everywhere, and yes I do realize it's a warzone but i'm meaning hurried like constantly. I mean, I beat the first 2-3 missions in what seemed like 5 minutes. Maybe it's just me, but I honestly just feel like EVERYTHING in this game is too hurried... too snip snap.

SPOILER****

And, I was wondering at the beginning of the game what that "offensive" thing was going to be that I could do or not do.... and holy shit I recognized it immediately. That whole airport scene was just crazy. I did not expect that at all.

Negative. You were not a terrorist. You were an undercover CIA Agent Carrying out a mission. Go replay it.
Oh thats alright then ill replay it and mow innocent people down.....again, but as an undercover CIA Agent :rolleyes:

People need to just get over the "terrorist" level. It's just a fucking game. If you don't like the level don't play it, since it doesn't force you to play it skip it. Just like a song you don't like on an album, SKIP IT. Get over it. Quit hyping it up, this isn't Fox News.

you need to look at the complete package. Spec Ops, Multiplayer, and pretty good single player.. not regretting my 60 bucks (2 weeks ago i would not have said this)

*SPOILER*

wimp.. its a game get over it.. if you cant distinguish a game from reality then get the hell off the computer..

and like crighton said.. that level IS key to the story line.. without it the entire single player makes absolutely no sense.. friggin people these days need to grow up and quit getting butt hurt by a damn game..

Oh thats alright then ill replay it and mow innocent people down.....again, but as an undercover CIA Agent :rolleyes:

WOW! Someone has been spending WAY to much time in their basement! :rolleyes:
Why don't you go out and play some soccer or go to a movie with friends, cause if you're that offended by a video-game, then that's really sad.:(
:p

***SPOILER***
Anyone understand Shepard's reasons for doing what he did? I think he said it was because of the Russian terrorist killing lots of his men in the previous game. But that doesn't explain why would want to kill American soldiers. Especially the ones directly responsible for fixing the shit. I was really confused by that.

Btw, you can skip the airport level at any time if you pause the game and highlight the option "skip level".

***SPOILER***
Anyone understand Shepard's reasons for doing what he did? I think he said it was because of the Russian terrorist killing lots of his men in the previous game. But that doesn't explain why would want to kill American soldiers. Especially the ones directly responsible for fixing the shit. I was really confused by that.

From what I understand 30,000 of Shepard's men were killed by the nuke in the 1st game. No one cared about it he said. He wanted to be handed a blank check of the war on Terrorism so he could do whatever the hell he wanted. Even if it meant sending in an under cover agent to be slaughtered to start a war. He needed the war to get crazy like it did so they'd hand over that blank check. If you've ever watched the TV series 24 some similar stuff happened a few seasons ago.

Oh yeah did anyone else notice on some of the stealth missions when you could snipe enemies with a silenced weapon that their companions would sometimes hit the ground immediately and play dead for a few seconds? That amused me as I would shoot and kill them.

Nope, although I wish I did....

Either way, totally loved the campaign. Beat it on regular and now I'm currently working on veteran. I just started act III, so I should have it done pretty soon.

..then I have to get all the stars in spec ops so I can have my platinum trophy....

***spoiler***

I felt sad for Roach and Ghost (Gaz v2). That was COMPLETELY unexpected.

Last edited:
Either way, totally loved the campaign. Beat it on regular and now I'm currently working on veteran. I just started act III, so I should have it done pretty soon.

..then I have to get all the stars in spec ops so I can have my platinum trophy....

I finished Regular and working on Veteran now too. Veteran in this game is a lot easier than in the previous games. I did miss two intel items though. So I'll have to go back and get them. Spec ops might be a little tough, but I'm looking forward to that 100% completion.

As others have stated, I thought this campaign was way too easy on Veteran. I finished it in 6 hours and didn't have much difficulty playing through. (Only tough part was the running down the hill from the house) But I remember playing CoD:WaW and there were some parts in that game that were incredibly hard.

Last edited:
I finished the single player game in 6 hours. It was way too short but I have to say, despite the retarded and outlandish story, the game itself was quite good and very well executed. I rather enjoyed the single player game and I will most likely give it another run through when I actually have some time.

has anybody wondered why there are to American civilians in the game, they let you kill every other nationality and put civilians in harms way and kill a airport full of russians but when you are fighting on home ground all friendlies are no where to be seen?

PS3 version for me, SP was fun, the premise of the story was weak, the ending was a little lame, but the missions/firefights/stealth/rides were varied and enjoyable.

Favela/oilrig/breeching/graveyard of airplanes enjoyed the most! I too also, wanted a little more gametime underwater. One vertical rise, and a movie kill is not enough. The Russian airport U/C killing spree a little long in the tooth, but taking on the reaction force made up for it. Snowmobile/boat rides done well, and fun also.

One chapter which was vexing was the cabin downloading section which I figured out the best strategy after a few run throughs fortunately, but that chapter ending was also a big let-down after all that effort, but made it's point in the flimsy script.

As a new console player I made it thru at Hardened in 9 hours 45 minutes (in three sittings) , without noticing one intel item, as my eyes and movement were focussed on survival. Forgot completely to look around for intel, mission completion/and required killing of tangos gathered all of my attention.

Only issue I found was since I am a relatively new console player (just received a PS3 slim + 320 gb HD as a gift 6 weeks) ago was my noobish console controller efforts were taxing me on occasion.

Normally a PC FPS player, to say the least it was interesting, but I still enjoyed the game immensely.

Looking forward to SF and MP portions of game, where especially in MP I expect to have my a*se kicked a great deal for a while, until my thumbs become more coordinated. The console controller button layouts make sense, but my opposing thumbs are still at kindergarden level. I didn't enjoy the aim assist, so I turned it off.

Thumbs up for me COD MW2 - PS3. Still weighing the purchase of PC version.....probably not. And truefully, gaming on a 46" plasma HDTV with a 7.1 receiver + PS3 does pull you in a bit more than my 24" LCD monitor/computer/ 5.1 speakers.

Mac[X-D];1034920292 said:
has anybody wondered why there are to American civilians in the game, they let you kill every other nationality and put civilians in harms way and kill a airport full of russians but when you are fighting on home ground all friendlies are no where to be seen?

because that far into a campaign on our soil, it would be empty of civis just like in the game. They would all have been evacuated or moved out on their own already. I doubt Jill and Jon are still trying to catch survivor and having tea on a thursday night at this point.

Played and beat the sp, was totally underwhelmed with it all. The graphics were pretty decent, but the gameplay felt dated compared to newer games that use cover. Basically played like every other cod... The story was not bad though, and parts were pretty fun. The worst as the loose ends mission, running down the hill at the end. I had to replay the entire mission because I could not make it down the hill from my initial checkpoint. Really pretty damn stupid to have to replay the whole mission cause of a glitch.

So on the whole i would say i was disappointed in the single player campaign. In this day and age i would expect more instead of the same gameplay in the last game they made. :(

Cause in America, we have cars and a huge country and we know better to get the frack out of Dodge when the Ruskie's start dropping in from the sky. Everyone knows that since Red Dawn. Sheesh. :D

Seriously, the graphics and stuff were cool, but my god what a boring game. I couldn't tell half the time where I was being shot from, and where in the heck was the uber cool mission like the AC130 mission from the MW1? MP is a hoot, and I like the no server thing actually, no need to camp out on a server trying to get it going. Kinda nice.

in Red dawn, you forget the town full of people who didn't get away the mayor who became a trader and the prison camp set up in the middle of town.

"Avenge meeeeeeeeeeeeee, Avenge me boys!"

but seriously its stupid that there is no one around in the towns.

Does anyone know if they actually allowed the player to finally change the rate of rife on the rifles? I hate full auto from guns like the M4A1 carbine and prefer single precise shots. I recall that in Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare this was completely left out...:mad:

there are no settings to change the rate of fire. if you are using a full auto gun it is full auto and a semi-auto is just semi sorry

Does anyone know if they actually allowed the player to finally change the rate of rife on the rifles? I hate full auto from guns like the M4A1 carbine and prefer single precise shots. I recall that in Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare this was completely left out...:mad:

No there isn't, but the FAV is a single-shot assault rifle.

Yeah I wish the weapons were more accurately represented. At least they don't mirror their appearance and force you to wait while the gun gets cocked again every time you reload. (Which is wrong and stupid.) The thing that pissed me off the most is the SPAS-12 being classified as a pump-action only shotgun. This is total bullshit as the gun is in fact a semi-auto. The M4A1 carbine doesn't look right either. It looks like it has risers on it or something for it's rails. Actually it looks more like the gas pistol POF rifles where the flat top sits higher than it would on a traditional DI gun like the Colt M4.

But then that would make certain weapons WAY to overpowered. You got to admit that having a gun that can go full auto one sec. and then semi the next is very convenient, but that is what the goal in real life is, to give every soldier as much of an advantage as possible, but in a game, that would just make things to easy. It is all about a balance of power that has to be carefully considered when making a game like this.

Just finished the single player campaign on hardened. I gotta say, it totally fucking rocked. Every level was perfect, they must have play tested the shit out of this game. I don't want to give away any spoilers so I'll just say the my favorite levels were the ones stateside. I was not expecting to be as blown away by the graphics as I was. It looks phenomenal. Texturing and lighting were superb and Infinityward actually got their animations 100% this time. So anyway, I'm very happy. What do you guys think? (played it on X360)

I have to admit it was the first game that actually got me enraged at a game faction. Of course I knew it was just a game but watching an icon of a nation in the hands of the enemy dug in really "Got" to me.

I have to hand it to them on that regard as it was about as close to a emotional movie experience I have gotten so far.

*SPOILERS***

Its called the EAS "Emergency Alert System" Basically anyone in the chain of the civilian command (Right down to the news station from what I hear) can teletype a message into the system and it will broadcast from that tower and leapfrog from other towers until the targeted region is warned within 30 or so seconds. The in game Russians seemed to have been merciful enough to not block the TV part of the EM band so people were warned.

Note also in game alter how they said "Were killing a thousand Americans for every dead at the airport" I suspect those who didn't evacuate were gunned down either by enraged ingame russians or by Shepherds lackeys.

Edit: The only thing they forgot to add in my view tho are US Militia units Yes a militia can be formed in less than a min (That is why they were called Minutemen) A real issue ought to have been figuring out who is the enemy and who is not someone in hapharzard or hunting camo trying to fight back with a hunting rifle. But that might have pissed off ALOT of customers who might have taken it as a political message against the 2nd Amendment.

Last edited:
Back