MW2 Steam Install

amdfan25

2[H]4U
First off why did Activision/IW make Steam necessary for install? I tried to install by disc and the damn shit wouldn't move (I see the disc spinning and the LED blinking) but the progress bar didn't move for 5 minutes. I take the disc out and Steam proceeds to download the game. WTF? That's really annoying. :mad:

Anyone know how to install from the disc and bypass the Steam downloader?

After a little Google searching, turns out this solves the issue. Still why can't we install the game w/o Steam. Sigh

1. Close Steam (File > Exit).
2. Go to the Start button and select Run (XP) or type Run in the Search box and choose Run from the list (Vista).
3. In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.

4. Press OK. Your installation should continue from the disc.

They included Steamworks for the achievements on the pc, as well as VAC for the anti-cheat, so Steam is necessary.

Still doesn't explain the lengthy install. Appears my only option is to install it via download as the disc install is stuck at a certain point. For the hell of it, the installer isn't moving and I'm timing how long before i call support and cuss them out :p

If the install cd is bugging out, just install it off the net!

One of my fav steam features is after I buy a game I never need the disc again. it gets put away somewhere safe and never touched again.

Just keep a backup of your installed games on a diff drive between formats. Super easy game mgmt, its a feature!

I guess forcing people to do it this way can be annoying but its not that bad!

If the install cd is bugging out, just install it off the net!

One of my fav steam features is after I buy a game I never need the disc again. it gets put away somewhere safe and never touched again.

Just keep a backup of your installed games on a diff drive between formats. Super easy game mgmt, its a feature!

I agree, I don't buy any PC games now unless they have Steam or Battle.net integration. I keep my Steamapps folder backed up on a separate hard drive. No more CDs, no more keeping track of patches, its genius.

If it automatically backed up every save game you have via Steam Cloud then it would be perfect. It'll never happen but one can dream. :)

Well after a few hours (computer upgrade time!) the game finally installed and updated via Steam.

I purchased a retail copy of the game due to having a gift card to best buy. I did not have your problem, and it installed off of my discs, not steam. I had actually debated cancelling the install and using steam to download, as I tend to get 2Mb/s down w/ steam, thought it might be faster than my slow DVD drive.

I'm having a similar problem. After I enter the CD Key I get the following message:

"Not Available

Sorry, but the following items are not available for purchase in your country. Your purchase has been canceled".

Steam is installd on my computer, and have never had any Steam problems before. Any ideas? I tried the OPs suggestion with no luck. Thanks!

edit: I'm in Japan.

Last edited:
Back