My 2407 Review! are ppl blind?

Condomwrap

Weaksauce
Well I've been searching for a 24" lcd for a while now and after all the complaints with the Dell 2407wfp I figured, hell, I have to see it myself. It is hands down the cheapest 24" monitor you can buy and dells return policy is fantastic, so I thought I might as well try it out. So here we go into my review, I'm not gonna get technical this is just my opinion:

This was my first lcd so I was a little hesitant to pick one up but I got tired of lugging around my 60 pound crt. All I have to say is I'll never go back to a crt, nothing against them it's just that picture/text quality is so much sharper and bright, I loved it.
To start off the monitor showed up (A02 revision) with zero dead/stuck pixels and perfect backlighting. I very much like the ergonomics and design of the dell and it looked even better in person.
It scales very well with non native resolutions and text is super sharp at any resolution.
As expected component inputs are TERRIBLE, you really have to see how bad they are first hand, my 360 looked liked it crapped all over the screen :p. Vga is much better but the colors are still a little washed. All other inputs looked pretty good.
Now the ultimate question, is banding still apparent in A02 revisions in Desktop Mode?
UH, HELL YES! Anyone who says they cant notice banding should be clinically considered blind. I work a lot with photoshop and all you have to do is lay down a simple gradient and you'll see it clearly. True, that most gamers and office users will not notice its there, but the fact of the matter is that it IS! I found it to be totally unacceptable for the work I do and in general most ppl should NOT except this as Dell clearly screwed the pooch on this one. With so many reviews online saying it was clearly fixed I was pretty upset at how blatantly apparent it was.
Also I noticed no ghosting or input lag during my time with it and I game pretty heavily.

So in conclusion I WOULD recommend this monitor only if you can deal with the banding, which I'm sorry is clearly a fault of Dell and not of the panel itself. To me its just too damn annoying. BTW if you're serious about 24" lcds pick up a Philips 230WP7NS, its a damn gorgeous monitor, blacks are a little weaker than the dell but overall a much better monitor, picture wise. I just wish there was more choice in this market too.
Dell wins only in price as it is about $150CDN cheaper than any other monitor and about $300CDN cheaper then the philips, so I see why a lot of ppl are attracted to it.

My 2407 is waiting in a box for dell to take away so I can receive my refund, I've given them a chance and there support keeps insisting the banding is fixed in the lastest revision, but they keep sending me replacements and I keep sending them back.... So its refund time for me :)

All 2407 users should be refunded, dell are shipping defective monitors. :mad:

The samsung 244T seems the best choice atm.

Fortunately I have a 2405FPW and have no issues. I do alot of graphic work and post-production video editing and couldn't go back to a non-widescreen monitor again.

And, the component inputs from my HDTV Satellite Receiver look awesome on my 2405 - It runs at 1080i according to the 2405 Control Panel, but reports of it being lower can be found, either way it still looks crystal clear.

But, that's the 2405FPW, I havn't had any experience with the 2407.

Condomwrap said:
Now the ultimate question, is banding still apparent in A02 revisions in Desktop Mode?
UH, HELL YES! Anyone who says they cant notice banding should be clinically considered blind.

I believe it was mentioned in the uber-long 2407 thread that there are actually 2 versions of "A02" floating around. One, where all of A01's problems are still there (including banding), and another where most of those problems are fixed--banding being one of them.

The problems are first found on the A00 version not A01. Check the firmware ... it should be V1B15

Uh sorry but I've gone threw 3 A02 revisions and all have had the same problem.
Its a fact that its not fixed and thats it. Why the hell do ppl go around protecting these companies from user input like its there first born. Then on top of it make stupid comments that theres 2 versions of the same revision. Sorry, but a new revision means a new number.

With the 2405 it was the loud humming. And with the 2407, it's banding. Lesson learned. Stay away from Dell...

Those 2 different versions of A02 are S-PVA- and S-IPS-panels, which is their difference.

Cuthalu said:
Those 2 different versions of A02 are S-PVA- and S-IPS-panels, which is their difference.

Is there a way to differentiate the two? Serial number, anything? (that is short of buying it, then checking through OSD for the panel)

Askanison said:
The problems are first found on the A00 version not A01. Check the firmware ... it should be V1B15

The firmware fixes nothing on the 2407. I've had enough A02's to realise that. :(

Shocky, did you ever go into the service menu and turn off ACP (I think that's what it's called)? It's advertised as a fix for the shitty component quality but I think it's basically the color management software that causes the banding in the first place. Check the other 2407 thread.

Shocky said:
The firmware fixes nothing on the 2407. I've had enough A02's to realise that. :(

Shocky, I hear you. There are thousands and thousands of these monitors out there. You maybe had 10 of them at most?

Statistically, your sample number is low, and there maybe truth to the firmware fix. Just a thought.

There's a topic for this.. You should of posted the "review" over there because it's easier for people to read that whole topic then search for all topics that people made with their own review ;)

Liver said:
Shocky, I hear you. There are thousands and thousands of these monitors out there. You maybe had 10 of them at most?

Statistically, your sample number is low, and there maybe truth to the firmware fix. Just a thought.

Well, i've had 4 A02's and 1 A01, that and the many people on the dell forums in exactly the same position as me is enough for me to believe there are no fixed 2407.

If you have a 2407 and can't see banding then your probably using the VGA connection or you don't know how or what your looking for.

Shocky said:
Well, i've had 4 A02's and 1 A01, that and the many people on the dell forums in exactly the same position as me is enough for me to believe there are no fixed 2407.

If you have a 2407 and can't see banding then your probably using the VGA connection or you don't know how or what your looking for.

People who are happy with their purchase are not going to be going to the Dell forums...

Cuthalu said:

Got any proof to back that up. There are no 24" S-IPS panels being produced yet to the best of my Knowledge. LG makes the S-IPS panels and they chose to go 23" instead of 24".

Shocky said:

Banding Nub here.

What are we looking for? Is it really that horrible that it affects games and movies?

Got any pics?

JonDoms said:
Banding Nub here.

What are we looking for? Is it really that horrible that it affects games and movies?

Got any pics?

There's plenty of pictures in the main 2407 thread. Personally, I say that if you don't notice it...there's really no reason to go looking for it.

Snowdog said:
Got any proof to back that up. There are no 24" S-IPS panels being produced yet to the best of my Knowledge. LG makes the S-IPS panels and they chose to go 23" instead of 24".

Read from Dell's forums and from the 2407 thread here.

syntax_terror said:
With the 2405 it was the loud humming. And with the 2407, it's banding. Lesson learned. Stay away from Dell...

Is it just the 24" model that has issues or does the 30" too? I have been very happy with my 2001fp, but I was wanting to upgrade to something larger and the Dell is cheaper than the Apple.

NulloModo said:
Is it just the 24" model that has issues or does the 30" too? I have been very happy with my 2001fp, but I was wanting to upgrade to something larger and the Dell is cheaper than the Apple.

If there are problems with the 3007, their users have been extremely quiet about it.

Users says Desktop mode of the 2407 has little to no percievable banding while the other two modes do. My question is two-fold: Why would people use it in any other mode only to benefit from presets of contrast/colour calibration? (it is my understanding that the different seperate modes merely represent different contrast/saturation of colours to provide optimum application use, i.e Multimedia has darker colours and saturation to bring out vibrant colours, etc. Desktop is a comprimise, etc. correct me here if I'm wrong. The second question is why would't Dell disable the image processor that's responsible for the defect in all 3 modes? It's overly simplistic I know, but I obviously with it, the other 2 modes are pretty useless with banding.

I just don't see the logic behind this.

Daggah said:
People who are happy with their purchase are not going to be going to the Dell forums...

Of course, but all these people are also getting replacements like me and none of them are working either. If the A02 indeed did fix the problem you would at least have one person getting a working replacement wouldnt you ? Err. but no, there ALL faulty. :)

Shocky said:
Of course, but all these people are also getting replacements like me and none of them are working either. If the A02 indeed did fix the problem you would at least have one person getting a working replacement wouldnt you ? Err. but no, there ALL faulty. :)

:rolleyes: I bow to you in all your wisdom; your ability to know what all of these people are thinking about their replacement monitors is astounding. No ordinary human would be able to say without any doubt, as you have, that everyone who received an A02 monitor is complaining about the banding issues.

Seeing as how you never responded to my question about whether you tried turning off the ACC - the "feature" that quite possibly causes the banding in the first place - I'm extremely tempted at this point to just label you a troll.

Daggah said:
:rolleyes: I bow to you in all your wisdom; your ability to know what all of these people are thinking about their replacement monitors is astounding. No ordinary human would be able to say without any doubt, as you have, that everyone who received an A02 monitor is complaining about the banding issues.

Seeing as how you never responded to my question about whether you tried turning off the ACC - the "feature" that quite possibly causes the banding in the first place - I'm extremely tempted at this point to just label you a troll.

I would like to second this. I have bought 2 2407s for builds and each have had 0 problems. No banding. No dead pixels. Nothing.

Daggah said:

Its ment to be disabled in desktop mode but its not since all the image modes look the same to me just with varing brightness. The banding is only acceptable in desktop mode using the VGA connection. DVI looks pretty awful.

Does the 2407 use a 6-bit TN panel?

Nope, its S-PVA 8 Bit.

Back