My 3007-HC is on order

I've been emailing with Margie and she's informally quoted me $1359 + $27 handling = $1386 USD. The problem is I'm in Canada so I have to have it shipped to Blaine, WA... drive down and pick it up and of course I have to pay WA state sales tax, CAD/USD exchange, and then canadian sales taxes when I cross the border. Sometimes living in Canada really sucks! (j/k)

I'm really wondering if it's worth waiting for it to debut here in Canada or spring for this deal.

Tough call.

At the snail's pace Dell has been in updating their webpage about this monitor. Expect to wait a while before being able to order it "officially" in Canada or the USA. From what I have gathered, Margie and Jonathan are amongst the very few sales reps that even know how to order these. At a company the size of Dell, that is scary...

If HP ships to CA, you may want to go with the LP3065, its a good monitor also, identical panel wise based on every bit of information I have read about it.

P.S. Call Jonathan... ;)

Hahhahaa, nice & subtle. Btw, I spoke to Margie about the Sales-Fu, and she said that both her and Jonathan sit side by side, and were trained by the same Master at Sales Dojo. Basically, both will quote you the same (ultra-low Shaolin Golden Penny Pinching fist) price, give or take a buck (or Yuan if you want to be technical about it).

[QUOTE
Hahhahaa, nice & subtle. Btw, I spoke to Margie about the Sales-Fu, and she said that both her and Jonathan sit side by side, and were trained by the same Master at Sales Dojo. Basically, both will quote you the same (ultra-low Shaolin Golden Penny Pinching fist) price, give or take a buck (or Yuan if you want to be technical about it).[/QUOTE]

Anything with normal fonts is O-K in my book, although I do feel free to use
Smiley submunitions... :( :eek: :rolleyes:

And I Yuan to tell you a story that you just Renminbi of...

CAMster

I hate to say it, but I think I'm sending mine back tomorrow. While it looks great for use in desktop activities, I feel I'm missing something from games. What I noticed is that in fast paced gaming (Quake games...) it was the response time that was just killing me. Just turning left and right, the monitor would lose all of its definition which at that point negates any sort of image quality advantage over my 22" CRT. I had them side by side and the CRT was just blowing it away as far as image fidelity and smoothness in games. I always keep trying to think that these LCD's will be better then my CRT, but I did buy one of the best CRT's ever made so it would take an LCD that basically makes every aspect of CRT technology seem obsolete and I just don't think they are there yet. I wanted it to be better, but like many people, I like some aspects of both my CRT and LCD and I want a monitor that combines the best traits of both and that just isn't here yet.

P.S. The matte finish on the HC is just rediculous, it seems to reflect every ounce of light I may have in front of the screen. So much for antiglare, my CRT which probably has the antiglare finish worn off of it seems to reflect way less light.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm sending mine back tomorrow. While it looks great for use in desktop activities, I feel I'm missing something from games. What I noticed is that in fast paced gaming (Quake games...) it was the response time that was just killing me. Just turning left and right, the monitor would lose all of its definition which at that point negates any sort of image quality advantage over my 22" CRT. I had them side by side and the CRT was just blowing it away as far as image fidelity and smoothness in games. I always keep trying to think that these LCD's will be better then my CRT, but I did buy one of the best CRT's ever made so it would take an LCD that basically makes every aspect of CRT technology seem obsolete and I just don't think they are there yet. I wanted it to be better, but like many people, I like some aspects of both my CRT and LCD and I want a monitor that combines the best traits of both and that just isn't here yet.

P.S. The matte finish on the HC is just rediculous, it seems to reflect every ounce of light I may have in front of the screen. So much for antiglare, my CRT which probably has the antiglare finish worn off of it seems to reflect way less light.

No! send it to me!

for those of you coming from CRTs, it will take a while to get used to LCDs. Eventually, LCDs will rule over CRTs, but not for at least 1-2 years minimum.

I would hope that something would eventually be better, such is the nature of technology. But for me to justify the 1500 for this monitor and live with any sort of shortcoming just sounds rediculous. I'd rather throw that back in the bank account and wait for the true successor to my CRT. I don't have any school work anymore, so desktop performance I could really care less about. I'd rather have something that is a pure gaming screen. Believe me, I LOVED certain aspects of it. But, why can't a 1500 dollar screen do blacks as good as my 5 year old CRT? Why can't it have as good of a response time or as high or higher refresh rates? I want to like this but I just don't know why I keep trying to convince myself. I think it is because most technology that is more "advanced" is so because it is in every way possible. Yet, I feel we took steps back with LCD's. With the gaming industry bringing in as much money as it does, why isn't there a screen that is purely for gaming and suits every aspect of gaming to make it as good of an experience as possible?

I agree about the matte finish, but for me there is no issue with reflecting light. I'm used to the gloss finish of the NEC which reflects light ten times more but it's not an issue for me in my apartment. The problem with the matte for me is just how visible its texture is over solid colors. It's distracting when the scene is moving but there's this fixed texture over everything. I think I am getting used to it though and it's not as noticeable anymore.

The response time of this monitor is also not as good as my NEC and naturally far worse than a CRT, but I haven't used a CRT in over a year so the comparison is lost for me. I still feel it's good enough to keep, even though it does suck to drop $1500 on a monitor that is not perfect. The five megapixel real estate and color reproduction really make it all worth it in the end.

Hi,

I'm in canada and I want one of these monitors badly! It's much easier for me to but the 3007WFP (non-hc) version, but reading everyone talk about how glad they are they returned the WFP and got the -HC instead is killing my buzz!

So - question is - what is the real world difference - I mean is there any reason I would be disappointed with the non-hc version? I would be using this only for work (3d cad design) and for everything I've read that is negative about the non-hc (mainly a bit of non-uniform brightness) it's also been said that none of these deficiencies are noticeable in the real world..

I'm really interested in your opinion as I've never seen one yet!

Thanks,

Kandor

I agree about the matte finish, but for me there is no issue with reflecting light. I'm used to the gloss finish of the NEC which reflects light ten times more but it's not an issue for me in my apartment. The problem with the matte for me is just how visible its texture is over solid colors. It's distracting when the scene is moving but there's this fixed texture over everything. I think I am getting used to it though and it's not as noticeable anymore.

The response time of this monitor is also not as good as my NEC and naturally far worse than a CRT, but I haven't used a CRT in over a year so the comparison is lost for me. I still feel it's good enough to keep, even though it does suck to drop $1500 on a monitor that is not perfect. The five megapixel real estate and color reproduction really make it all worth it in the end.

Hehe, reading all these posts about the matte finish and the light buzzing sound when brightness is set to 20, kinda makes me happy that I don't have perfect vision or hearing anymore! I certainly don't notice the matte finish's texture on anything (even really up close), and except for the first time I jacked up the brightness to 20, I haven't heard the buzzing.

As far as why spend 1500 on a LCD that doesn't have as good blacks, and as good response rates as a CRT. Well when did you ever see a 30" CRT monitor? The biggest they ever made was 24" (with 22.5" viewable) and the resolution on that was maxed out at 2304x1440 (good luck reading fine text on it with a DPI of 120)[in the FW900's defense, it does looks cherry at 1920x1200]. Also, you forget the annoying interference patterns and moire effects that plague CRTs, as well as issues with low refresh rates at max resolution (60hz on those babies PULSED), and focus issues towards the center of the tube.

Don't get me wrong, I wish this panel had the same blacks as my CRT, and the same response times, and I am reminded of that when I see tearing in videos (I saw them on the CRT also, but weren't as noticeable). But I am also happy that I get perfect convergence, there is no interference pattern, no focus issues, and my desk is no longer warped by the weight of my monitor (well its permanently warped courtesy of its previous denizens, but not as much as it used to be...). And the 92% gamut is not too shabby also.

Hi,

I'm in canada and I want one of these monitors badly! It's much easier for me to but the 3007WFP (non-hc) version, but reading everyone talk about how glad they are they returned the WFP and got the -HC instead is killing my buzz!

So - question is - what is the real world difference - I mean is there any reason I would be disappointed with the non-hc version? I would be using this only for work (3d cad design) and for everything I've read that is negative about the non-hc (mainly a bit of non-uniform brightness) it's also been said that none of these deficiencies are noticeable in the real world..

I'm really interested in your opinion as I've never seen one yet!

Thanks,

Kandor

Lack of uniformity has been mostly fixed in the newer 3007WFP units as I understand it. What's left is, like you mentioned, barely noticeable.

The main selling point for me on this HC, was the HC, and I can say, the greens and Reds really look fantastic. If you can get the HC for $150-200 US dollars more, I say go for the HC, as its worth it. But if your price difference is $400 or more from the regular 3007WFP...then you will be better served with the regular, and spend that money on a new video card (surprisingly enough, all but the latest games are playable at 2560x1600, tho with frames in the high teens on a 7800GT, so a 8800GTX won't hurt!).

I see your point Demigod but what moire effects and interference problems have you ever seen on a CRT during gaming? The point i'm trying to make is that when I had games going on both the HC and the CRT side by side, it was evident that if I wanted maximum clarity even though the HC was running 2560x1600, I'd HAVE to use the CRT. Any movement on the LCD and all objects in front of me lost their definition they have when I'm standing still. The CRT had absolutely no problem keeping the exact same definition on all objects foreground or background as well as being able to use 100hz at 1600x1200 which shows a noticeable smoothness improvement over standard 60hz. I just believe LCDs were the product of a more efficient peice of hardware in the business world, and were never geared towards gaming. I still think gaming is not what any of these LCD's are made for. All this stuff about 2ms response times and things of that nature are simply balony. If you have to measure a monitors response time, it's already too slow. I think if CRT hadn't died a premature death, most people on this forum sure as hell wouldn't even be talking about the HC or any other LCD, unless of course they just needed the desk space or the monitor looked cute.

I agree tigger, specifically about the refresh rate issue. Not many people can really tell the difference between 60hz and anything higher, but I am one of those people. I really want an LCD that is capable of an 85hz refresh rate or higher but it just won't happen for at least a bit longer. This HC will have to hold me over for the next year or so.

I see your point Demigod but what moire effects and interference problems have you ever seen on a CRT during gaming? The point i'm trying to make is that when I had games going on both the HC and the CRT side by side, it was evident that if I wanted maximum clarity even though the HC was running 2560x1600, I'd HAVE to use the CRT. Any movement on the LCD and all objects in front of me lost their definition they have when I'm standing still. The CRT had absolutely no problem keeping the exact same definition on all objects foreground or background as well as being able to use 100hz at 1600x1200 which shows a noticeable smoothness improvement over standard 60hz. I just believe LCDs were the product of a more efficient peice of hardware in the business world, and were never geared towards gaming. I still think gaming is not what any of these LCD's are made for. All this stuff about 2ms response times and things of that nature are simply balony. If you have to measure a monitors response time, it's already too slow. I think if CRT hadn't died a premature death, most people on this forum sure as hell wouldn't even be talking about the HC or any other LCD, unless of course they just needed the desk space or the monitor looked cute.

I know the noticeable smoothness of 100hz over the 60hz, tho the lower refresh bothered me the most during 2D use, and not during gaming.

I did not notice any of the loss of definition in gaming you mentioned, I will take a closer look while gaming with something fast paced ( I have been playing Splinter Cell & Oblivion mostly, which are both slow paced games). For those games, I didn't notice anything noteworthy.

My feeling is that LCD tech has some way to go, that is true. However, there are No good NEW CRTs in the market anymore (none that I can afford without selling a kidney anyways). And I refuse to drop $1,600 for a refurb Sony Artisan, or $400 for a FW-900, only to have the moire, interference and lack of focus bug me in 2D use (which is at least 50% of my Computer use). So I made a compromise. Some like you will be unwilling to make that compromise and stick to their CRTs, I can respect that. However, I have no regrets with my 30" LCD purchase. Its a beautiful monitor (and yes, it does look cute on my desk!)

If I may add my input....

I never really liked LCDs, from using them in school labs. They always seemed so hard to focus on, and text was too bright and sharp. I used CRTs mostly my whole life. Now that I got the HC, I'm in awe. The clarity over the whole screen is perfect and far better than my CRT. Infinite refresh rate (no flicker). 30" size is wonderful, and so are the colors. CRT falls short in all those things. Performance in Half-Life 2 is perfectly fine, but if I was playing for money or something I suppose I'd stick to a CRT for the extra speed.

The noise from the backlight seems to vary, and I can't really hear it now. With the brightness down to 14, it's fine anyway.

Lack of uniformity has been mostly fixed in the newer 3007WFP units as I understand it. What's left is, like you mentioned, barely noticeable.

The main selling point for me on this HC, was the HC, and I can say, the greens and Reds really look fantastic. If you can get the HC for $150-200 US dollars more, I say go for the HC, as its worth it. But if your price difference is $400 or more from the regular 3007WFP...then you will be better served with the regular, and spend that money on a new video card (surprisingly enough, all but the latest games are playable at 2560x1600, tho with frames in the high teens on a 7800GT, so a 8800GTX won't hurt!).

Finding an HC in Canada seems like it's going to be very difficult and undoubably more expensive, I think as long as I never accidently see an HC version I'll be (hoping to be) quite happy with the non-hc version. :) It looks like I can find a 3007WFP for around 1350 cnd. (1150 us).

Now I need to find some vesa mounts so I can pivot my ag-neovo f-419's to bracket the 3007 - that will be sweet! (I actually have 3 of these F-419's in my office at the moment, maybe I should get back into flight sim?

Kandor

Hi,

I've found 2 ways to acquire the 3007WFP in Canada, first from Dell all in for 1577, second, from an out of province computer store for 1480 all in (basically the difference is less tax). Is there, in your experience, any reason to buy direct from dell and blow another 100$ for no reason?

Kandor

Uhm, what video card are you running? And what res are you gaming at on the 30" lcd? Yea, crt will be smoother and it is nice, but the lcd should not be far behind.

I just ordered my HC and I'm going to be using it for work and gaming.

I have a friend with the regular 30" and we both have the 8800gtx and gaming on his 30" is flawless, it's weird that you are having problems.

Hi,

I've found 2 ways to acquire the 3007WFP in Canada, first from Dell all in for 1577, second, from an out of province computer store for 1480 all in (basically the difference is less tax). Is there, in your experience, any reason to buy direct from dell and blow another 100$ for no reason?

Kandor

Kandor, please share... I sent you a PM. Also, is this for the HC or Non-HC?

Thanks!

Well guys, looks like I've found a good deal with a reseller friend of mine here. I can get the 3007WFP for about $1194. I think the price would be the same for the 3007 HC as well but so far Dell Malaysia only has the non-HC version.

Should I wait for the HC version to arrive first (probably take another 2-3 months) or go ahead and get the non-HC version? I know I'm going to have to upgrade my GC to run the monitor. Running a lowly 7300LE right now, I don't play games!!! Will be using it for designing, entertainment and trading.

Should I wait for the HC version to arrive first (probably take another 2-3 months) or go ahead and get the non-HC version? I know I'm going to have to upgrade my GC to run the monitor. Running a lowly 7300LE right now, I don't play games!!! Will be using it for designing, entertainment and trading.
some 7300gt with dl-dvi can run 3007wfp/hc as well... 3007HC has lower energy comsumption as well...tanah tumpahnya darah-ku

I've ordered finally :) - 3007WFP rev3 - Any known issues with this rev? Now, it's a race to see if the fx1500 arrives before or after the monitor.

Also - I have 2 ag neovo F-419's here, I'd like to shift my fx1400 to the other pcie slot on my motherboard and the setup at least on of these 19's in portrait mode. But, the F-419 doesn't have a built in pivot, only standard vesa mount holes. Do you know of a 3rd party bracket that works well that I could use for this.

PS> I've never found the exact vertical dimension of the viewable area (excluding the bezel) of the 3007wfp?

Thanks

Kandor

FYI... I've been told my my Dell sales rep that the HC will be available in Canada on March 23rd.

Any idea on the cost of the HC in canada? (not that it matters for me, I'll already took the plunge!)

That's interesting - today the dell.ca website changed, the 3007wfp is no longer listed, instead they have this:

UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC 30-inch WideScreen Flat Panel Monitor
Usually Ships: 1-2 Weeks
Manufacturer Part#: DN829
Dell Part#: 222-7175

More Details
$2,148.001

So your price of 1500$ is 650$ below list plus the list doesn't include shipping. Did they offer you that on the phone?

tia

Kandor

I've just been told the HC is now available in Canada and I've been quoted $1504 CAD with free shipping and 3-year advance exchange warranty. This is only about $100 more than the best US price I've heard of.
$1504 CAD = $1281 USD. So, you've heard of $1181 for an HC? Yeah right. HC's are going for no less than $1400 USD, so your price is far less.

That's interesting - today the dell.ca website changed, the 3007wfp is no longer listed, instead they have this:

UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC 30-inch WideScreen Flat Panel Monitor
Usually Ships: 1-2 Weeks
Manufacturer Part#: DN829
Dell Part#: 222-7175

More Details
$2,148.001

So your price of 1500$ is 650$ below list plus the list doesn't include shipping. Did they offer you that on the phone?

tia

Kandor

Negotiated by email with what I think is the manager. Once I get the deal squared away, (I'm still negotiating something else) I'll gladly forward any contact info if they agree to it (which I'm sure they will). Hold tight until Monday.

Hello,

Came across this forum while doing my research on the new 3007-HC versus the older model. So after reading everything here I'm convince I need one. I do high-end CAD and FEA design work and I'm always looking for more screen real estate. My present monitor is a Dell 24" CRT, which has served me well for 5 years, but it's time to upgrade.

So CAMster, who is this famous Dell Salesperson we should call?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

does the 30 inch work with vista? i heard something about it not being compatible.

Hello,

Came across this forum while doing my research on the new 3007-HC versus the older model. So after reading everything here I'm convince I need one. I do high-end CAD and FEA design work and I'm always looking for more screen real estate. My present monitor is a Dell 24" CRT, which has served me well for 5 years, but it's time to upgrade.

So CAMster, who is this famous Dell Salesperson we should call?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Hi Bob,
It's all revealed on page 8, the gent you seek is Jonathan Lucas, Dell Small
Business sales (anyone can call/email), his direct number is 615-795-8487, his toll-free
number is 800-357-3355, then 795-8487 for his extension. Email is [email protected].
He's based in Tennessee, so Central Time applies.

CAMster

does the 30 inch work with vista? i heard something about it not being compatible.

Hi Lee,
While I'm not running Vista (and likely won't), I can't believe that there
aren't drivers out to run this monitor on Vista. If this is a concern before
placing an order, just call Jonathan or your salesperson, and get the
confirmation (one way or another).

CAMster

Hi all,
Well, it looks like the transition that's taken place elsewhere has happened
here - the older 3007 WFP is no more, and just the 3007WFP-HC is listed,
with a base price of $1699. Add the extra $99 for 3 year CC, and it comes to
$1798, so the price that most of us have paid (~$1,450 or so) looks pretty
damn good!

I just checked the Outlet, and a search for the 3007 WFP comes up "No
Systems Were Found", so the model's been purged pretty thoroughly.

CAMster

Thanks CAMaster!

I'll give him a yell and see what's the going price and report back. I also called UGS my CAD vendor and asked them They usually have deals if I buy it through them.

Bob

Johnathan just called. He gave me the 3007HC for $1,431 with the CC.

I owe you a beer CAMster.... thank you!

Bob

Got my 3007-HC last week. Finished my first build on Thrusday. Installed XP x64 this weekend. Got most everything up and running, expect for few wrinkles that need to be ironed out.

The panel looks great. I just love it. And I do not think its too big. In fact I'll probably get a second side monitor for running basic apps; and leave the 3007 for primary 3D/Photo/Painter apps.

Got my FusionHDTV5 express card setup and working. Hooked up to my cable, getting unecrypted QAM channels. 1080i HDTV looks great full screen. 720p looks pretty good. 480i DTV not so good, better downsized. Analog signal...meh.

Haven't calibrated yet.

A couple of questions...

I examined the Apple 30" display the other day in store to get a feel for the size and although I find the size appealing, I found the anti-glare coating to be a bit distracting... I'm coming from glossy 17" NEC TN panels so I hope this isn't going to be a negative experience. Any comments on the anti-glare coating compared to the Apple?

Also, how well calibrated are the displays out of the box. I guess I'm interested in thoughts from real professionals who have actually calibrated one of these... how much adjustment was necessary? Do I need to spend a money on a Spyder or similar calibration solution?

I'm also planning to pair this 30" monster with a Dell 2007FP in portrait mode... anyone else done that? Can the panels be made to look fairly similar even though the 2007FP will likely be a PVA? Does proper calibration help or actually make the differences more prominent?

Back