My 3870 has landed

TechBoy

2[H]4U
Just received mine in the mail a few mins ago. I will post some pics in a min when I get ready to install it.

Some Pics:

As a technical note, I just oced my card at 845/1176 stable and am able to play cod4 at 1680x1050 res settings all max with 4xaa and I get VERY playable rates, cant wait to see what I can do after I switch to a core 2 duo!

Please do post benchies, I have very similiar righ compared to yours. 8800GT is a no show in my country, the only viable alternative is the 3870.

Sorry, I am having problems with 3DMark06 running correctly. Once I get it fixed I will definately post benchies.

Screw the 3dmark ;) Just tell us how are games running in 1680x1050 with that beaty ;)

The cooler plastic is just a shroud that helps give color and direct airflow. There is a block of (copper? I'm not sure if its aluminum, though) that is placed on the core, memory and other important parts that is the main cooling system that conducts heat away from the board and then being 'blown' away by the cooling fan.

Congratz, I just recieved my gt8800

My cpu mobo ram hd is coming later today, I can't wait and I'm sitting listening for the door knock :(

It does, atleast according to [H] review, but it has small gap between the cooler plastic and the board. Why it is so, Iam curious too.

The cooler plastic is just a shroud that helps give color and direct airflow. There is a block of (copper? I'm not sure if its aluminum, though) that is placed on the core, memory and other important parts that is the main cooling system that conducts heat away from the board and then being 'blown' away by the cooling fan.

No, Mr. Stryker meant the actual 120mm exhaust fan, which is bringing air into the case.

Screw the 3dmark ;) Just tell us how are games running in 1680x1050 with that beaty ;)

well, it looks friggin awsome. Since I got this baby I decided to spend an extra few hundred to upgrade my whole rigg so that this card can really show me what its got.

hehe, i have a fan right above the cpu with the cover on to take the air out, that fan is used to bring the air in. My cpu cooler is a little bit weird in the way it is set up, but thats the only way i could install it. Works great anyway I oc my proc and get from 45-53c even on load.

Regarding benchies 3DMark06 tells me my card doesnt support shader model 2.0? WTF man thats messed up.

No, Mr. Stryker meant the actual 120mm exhaust fan, which is bringing air into the case.

If that's the case, then the fan should not touch the board entirely as it is a spinning object and I don't think anyone wants a high-speed fan spinning ON the pcb...which would mean some disastrous results. I think what the fan does is it forces air into the plastic bracket, which covers the copper fins. This forces the air through the forest of fins, gaining heat, and exhausting out of the case.

I dont actually know how the fan works, but hey I dont care atm because it cools great.

Regarding benchies 3DMark06 tells me my card doesnt support shader model 2.0? WTF man thats messed up.

Sounds like a driver related problem on your rig. 3Dmark06 has been used in nearly every review and haven't read any problems with it.

If that's the case, then the fan should not touch the board entirely as it is a spinning object and I don't think anyone wants a high-speed fan spinning ON the pcb...which would mean some disastrous results. I think what the fan does is it forces air into the plastic bracket, which covers the copper fins. This forces the air through the forest of fins, gaining heat, and exhausting out of the case.

What? What are you talking about. I'm not taking about the graphics card at all The 120mm case fan is bringing air IN.

Yes, Turn that case fan around..it may help lower some case temps...also maybe your HSF on your CPU..if your fans are all blowing in the right direction.

Yes, Turn that case fan around..it may help lower some case temps...also maybe your HSF on your CPU..if your fans are all blowing in the right direction.

i cant, if I did it would hit my ram sticks lol. wouldnt work.

The CASE fan, the fan directly mounted to the rear of the case is an exhaust fan.

airflowmo3.jpg

It does appear to be mounted as a intake unless it's wired in reverse somehow?

Back