My 4870 is dying?

Viper8547

Limp Gawd
I got my MSI 4870 1GB almost two years ago brand new on ebay. Just recently (today), my desktop has been acting up. I would be browsing the internet, and would suddenly hear a click (sound my desktop makes when it resets) get a black screen and then my monitor would read no input. I would wait at the screen, but nothing would appear thinking it blue screened and restarted right away.... Nothing happened, so I cut power from the PSU and turned it back on. Black screen. I keep the PSU power switch off and go to work, get back home, gets through POST, then black screen.

Now I'm thinking its some kind of virus, so I scan in safe mode, nothing. Try getting back into 7 again, and it finally worked. After 15 or so minutes, black screen again! This time, the fan on the video card went 100% and stayed there. So this is why I'm thinking my video card is acting up on me. Any insight?

PSU is a corsair 550vx

EDIT: Okay, now I can't get it to work for 2+ minutes anymore :(
I would get through POST, watch the windows loading animation, finish the animation, and just before the login screen appears, my card craps out. No input would appear on my monitor, while the desktop is running. It's actually loading windows after the black screen too, since I hear the login sound. Ugh, I don't want to have to buy a new card :(

Last edited:
exactly what happen to my Sapphire 4870 1GB card. black screen and fan running in 100% when ever the pc is switched on. it happened to me just after 13 months of the purchase, local shop provided me with 1 year warrantee so i am all screwed up. :(

Looks like MSI has a 2-3 year warranty, I'm gonna have to go that route now.

Back