My 5870 isn`t nearly as fast as yours...

hmm I get 56fps ave in far cry 2, with 8xAA and at 1920x1200 with everything ultra high, and vantae score is around 17k with one card, that is with my q9550 at 4.1, GHZ.

i know when i upgraded from a 1950pro to a 3870 to a 4870 each time I just removed the old card and installed the new one and that was that. never had any issues with drivers as vista just detected the hardware and reinstalled the driver or prompted for the location of the driver files. OP score is a little low but it could be to some other issue with his machine...have you tried having task manager open to see what is killing your resources

This isn't a driver issue, or an issue that is going to resolve itself. Vantage is useful for making sure your hardware is performing as it should - of course its not a game. To knock it because its not a game is stupid, vantage has its uses.

Waiting on WHQL driver isn't going to fix a hardware issue. First, check your PCI-e connections make sure you dont have a loose wire or a bad connection where the card isn't getting full power. Then re-seat the GPU just in case it's not seated properly. Check CPU-z make sure PCI is running 16x and not 1x or 4x. If all that checks out - wipe and reinstall your OS. Of all the drivers that are out there for the 5870 none are going to give you a few FPS difference. So getting 15 fps in Far Cry 2 shows that you really have something outta whack. I ran 1680x1050 4x AA, very high and was getting over 100 FPS average. Start with checking the hardware, then a clean OS reinstall. See where you are performance wise after that. Changing GPUs is not always as easy and banging and slamming. Sometimes you need to reinstall your OS to get the drivers to install properly. Also, the HD5870 will be smoother in game than your X2, dual cards all have some form of micro stutter. So even in the games where the HD5870 isn't smoking your x2, I will bet it's a smoother gaming experience.

yep a hardware issue, so obviously reinstalling the OS and drivers is going to fix a hardware issue, wait, didn't you say drivers wouldn't impact a hardware issue?

honestly guy (OP), just return the damn thing, jaguar is 100% correct, IT WILL NOT BE FASTER, even if you get it working right, and this whole microstutter argument gets my head spinning (its amazing the things people will believe), and if it is a hardware issue, drivers/OS isn't likely to fix it, just get the farkin thing replaced, otherwise its Windows, the last ditch troubleshooting I'd do before any of that, is trying the 4870X2 out in the system right now, does it still perform as it should?

so basically you have three (well, four) options here:
1. You return the card for cash, put your 4870X2 back in, and away you go
2. You return the card for replacement, see if the replacement works correctly, if it does, away you go, if not, pick another #
3. You re-install/fix Windows, or at minimum, the games themselves, it'll either change nothing, or fix the issue
4. You do nothing, you keep flaming down anyone who posts in this thread that the 5870 is a stupid way to spend $400 in your scenario, you keep whining that it doesn't work right, and you continue doing nothing but sitting on your hands and crying

i know when i upgraded from a 1950pro to a 3870 to a 4870 each time I just removed the old card and installed the new one and that was that. never had any issues with drivers as vista just detected the hardware and reinstalled the driver or prompted for the location of the driver files. OP score is a little low but it could be to some other issue with his machine...have you tried having task manager open to see what is killing your resources

same here, I've even gone nVidia to ATi and back again with less hastle than people are claiming changing an ATi card creates

"4. You do nothing, you keep flaming down anyone who posts in this thread that the 5870 is a stupid way to spend $400 in your scenario, you keep whining that it doesn't work right, and you continue doing nothing but sitting on your hands and crying"

I allready said numerous times I wasn`t going to return the card at least unless it ends up being defective, I also have stated numerous times that I knew it would be a little slower than my 4870X2.

With that said last evening I removed every ATI program/driver I could find and reinstalled the drivers from AMD`s website and things improved,Crysis in game benchmark showed performances very similar to what Hard`s review came up with and now performance in Stalker Clear Skies are pretty close to those of my 4870X2.

On the other hand Farcry 2 performance is still miles away from what some posters have shown in this thread and my Vantage score is still 11000, I also play The Witcher but can`t compare performance here as the game artifacts like crazy, wich is an obviuos driver issue as other 5870 users are experiencing the same phenomena.

All in all things are getting better and by the way, one 5870 may never be faster than one 4870X2 but two of them running right will destroy the 4870X2...

I've been browsing other forums, and it seems there are several people making complaints about the 5800 series performance with respect to the 4800 series, especially people who are running AMD cpu's.

This leads me to believe that piss poor drivers are most likely the cause of the performance differential between the generations for the OP as well as the others, including myself. I have a Phenom 2 940 OC'd to 3.6 and my xfx 5850 (775 core 1100 memory) scored just below 10k in Vantage, while my 4850x2's best score is 11.5k.

I seriously doubt we are all having hardware problems. We just need for AMD/ATI to step up their driver game.

Either that or buy an I7 processor so you can get a good score despite the shitty drivers.

Any chance you guys running the AMD processors need to update your platform/chipset drivers? I know I've seen performance issues caused by this before when I dealt with nforce based motherboards.

Any chance you guys running the AMD processors need to update your platform/chipset drivers? I know I've seen performance issues caused by this before when I dealt with nforce based motherboards.

There's no need to update chipset drivers seperate from video drivers. The AMD drivers are completely unified, meaning that the package contains video, chipset, and AHCI drivers.

When Cat 9.10 is released, it will have performance increases on HD 5800 series, over what is out there now. A new driver build was just released to press which improves performance. So, performance will only improve with new drivers, I don't know when Cat 9.10 will be out, but when it is, I recommend waiting for it to make final judgments.

I run the 9.10beta drivers and I get 19k winmarks on the 5870 at 975/1300. It was 21k with PhysX enabled.

I think my stock score was around 16k. Let me see if I can find it. Here we go.

vantage4ghz5870stockphysxoff.jpg

Is it possible you got a lemon?

Vjcsmoke's post proves my point exactly. If you're an AMD user, either switch to Intel or wait for better drivers. I've yet to see anyone running an i7, or even qxxx series, getting bad scores in 3dmark with the 5800 series.

How AMD managed to release a card that under-performs on their own platform is beyond me, but it indeed appears to be the case.

Vjcsmoke's post proves my point exactly. If you're an AMD user, either switch to Intel or wait for better drivers. I've yet to see anyone running an i7, or even qxxx series, getting bad scores in 3dmark with the 5800 series.

How AMD managed to release a card that under-performs on their own platform is beyond me, but it indeed appears to be the case.

Clearly this is just some person with problems , could be anything :)

You could try and take the card to a friends house and see if that solves the problem of it maybe being a broken videocard.

Seems that when you have no performance issue's on the 4870x2 then it is something that would baffle me as well :) .

Goodluck with the testing ;)

extra harddrive for clean os test is nice btw :)

I run the 9.10beta drivers and I get 19k winmarks on the 5870 at 975/1300. It was 21k with PhysX enabled.

I think my stock score was around 16k. Let me see if I can find it. Here we go.

vantage4ghz5870stockphysxoff.jpg

Is it possible you got a lemon?

Time will tell, on my last run I got 11305 as my gpu score, GPU-Z showed my card running 850-1200 during the whole test.

Since my set-up is the closest to the OPs, I figured my Vantage score should determine if AMD CPUs are holding this card back or not. On default settings, with the overclocks in my sig, I scored a P16241, with a GPU score of 18048 and CPU score of 12489. I think the OP should wait till the 9.10 drivers are released, and maybe do a re-install of Windows, before he makes a final judgment.

[URL=http://img41.imageshack.us/i/capturezur.jpg/]

[/URL]

Yup 16k seems to be the normal range for a stock 5870. And you're using an AMD system as well, so I think a difference of 5k 3dmarks less looks really wrong.

Since my set-up is the closest to the OPs, I figured my Vantage score should determine if AMD CPUs are holding this card back or not. On default settings, with the overclocks in my sig, I scored a P16241, with a GPU score of 18048 and CPU score of 12489. I think the OP should wait till the 9.10 drivers are released, and maybe do a re-install of Windows, before he makes a final judgment.

[URL=http://img41.imageshack.us/i/capturezur.jpg/]

[/URL]

Our CPU overclocks are nearly identicals as are our Vantage CPU scores but your GPU score is way way higher than mine.I will wait till new drivers are released and reinstall Vista if I have to.

Try the latest driver from AMD site and to all who got issues with Vantage texture flickering/score you can be sure its driver related many users have that issues. Also i strongly recommend reinstalling the OS it does help alot! it worked like charm for me after format ;)

I will run more tests tonight, I am at work right now.After looking at some more benchmarks my 5870 basically performs like a 4890 wich can`t be right, at least I hope it can`t be.

If that's true then my 5850 is faster than your 5870. So something is definitely wrong. Fresh Windows install / driver install sounds just like what the Dr. ordered.

Hi, I'm new in the forum, but a longtime reader of HardOCP. But to the topic: Yes the Vantage scores are to low. With stock Core i5 with stock HD 5870 I get this result:

GPU 15895
CPU 12917
-----> 15029

I would try to reinstall Windows and then try this driver http://downloads.guru3d.com/Catalyst-8.66.6-091006a-for-5800-and-HD5700-download-2405.html

The result is ok most of the users get like 16000 gpu score with stock 5870 so your fine, dont forgot that most of the users have their 5870s clocked to 1gh core that way they score 18k vantage. ;)

Yes, but I don't want to overclock the card yet. Although a faster cpu also helps, because with the Core i5 @ 4 GHz I get these results:

GPU 16150
CPU 18162
-----> 16610

But 11xxx are definitely less than it should be.

My core 2 duo @ 3.2Ghz is really holding this thing back.. it seems like I need an i5 or i7 to really get the most out of it.

Will be looking at that upgrade next year..

I get around 15675 in Vantage P.. so I'm in the happy range.. but I know I'd get better performance with a newer cpu.

Last edited:
Try the latest driver from AMD site and to all who got issues with Vantage texture flickering/score you can be sure its driver related many users have that issues. Also i strongly recommend reinstalling the OS it does help alot! it worked like charm for me after format ;)

I tried the latest driver from AMD with zero success, I am waiting for my copy of Windows 7 and since I don't beleive there is anything physically wrong with my video card I expect every pieces to fall in place with a fresh OS install.

From past experience sometimes the only way to fix an issue like this is a fresh install of windows, as many others have already said. No matter how many times you run driver cleaner etc there just seems to be some situations where it just stays screwed for some reason.

If you don't want to wipe your system, and have a spare HDD (or even a spare partition), do a test clean install of windows on that and run the benches again. It'll only take an hour or two and then you will have eliminated that from the list of possible problems. If you're stumped as to what the problem might be then you just gotta work your way through and eliminate possibilities one by one.

EricC, try running the benchmark two times in a row. My scores jumps up 400 points the 2nd time I run it. I know this is still far from where you "should" be but an extra 400 points by running the bench again is worth it for comparisons sake. Everyone else is running it multiple times. Good luck!

Well last evening I installed Windows 7 and ran Vantage once again, got a whoopin 11395 GPU score...I then installed Farcry 2 to see if things had improved and they did not so fed up I took the 5870 out and reinstalled my 4870X2, games were running fast once again, I would say about 25- 50% faster than with the 5870 so I have no other options now than to RMA this card as it is obviously defective.

I bought my first computer back in 1995 and this is the first time I have ever had to RMA something so I guess I can't complain.

I similarly haven't had any luck with the new 9.10 cats as far as my 3dmark scores are concerned. In particular my card (xfx 5850) seems to really struggle with the HDR/SM3.0 tests (SM2.0 scores seem within respectable ranges). I may reinstall windows tonight and give it another go.

Well I am trying to RMA my 5870 but thus far am getting the run around from the online store I bought it from,you can see below the email I sent their customer service and their answer, I havent heard from them since and I dont think I will either.I ordered an Asus 5870 from another vendor and should receive the card early next week,I fully expect this card to perform as it should and then the clowns from extreme-pc.ca wont have any other choices but to replace the faulty card they sold me.This whole ordeal has been somewhat of a pain in my rear end...

Hi Eric. HD4870X2 is 20% faster then HD5870 single! That's a fact. What CPU are you running. It's never the card, it's always customer's setup... Please provide computer specs so we have a bigger picture. Tech Support Tuesday, October 27, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter what I did the last couple of weeks I can't get this card to perform any better than a HD4890, even a fresh Windows 7 install showed no improvements whatsoever, this morning I took this card out and reinstalled my 4870X2 and voila my games were fast and smooth once again.

My 3dmark Vantage GPU score with the 5870 is a lame 11395 while people with similar set ups to mine are getting scores in the 15000-16000 range so there is obviously something wrong with this card and I have now no other choice but to RMA it.

Eric

Saturday, October 24, 2009

hey eric, flash your bios, that will fix it.

lots of people in our ocing thread at XS were getting the 10k-12k GPU score in vantage, it's a bios error, and can be fixed by flashing. I recommend you use the asus or msi unlocked bios to increase your ccc limits while you're at it.

Many others have the same problem as you. Like some in this thread at first I thought it had to do with Phenom II, AMD chipset, Win7, or 64bit drivers.

Lightman posted that a resolution was found by flashing the bios. I wanted to add that if you still need to RMA when you're done, u want to reinstall the original sapphire bios, so make sure to save it. good luck.

Back