My 5870 isn`t nearly as fast as yours...

hey eric, flash your bios, that will fix it.

lots of people in our ocing thread at XS were getting the 10k-12k GPU score in vantage, it's a bios error, and can be fixed by flashing. I recommend you use the asus or msi unlocked bios to increase your ccc limits while you're at it.

Thanks jaredpace,this is interesting do you have a link to this thread.

Definatly keep us posted on whether or not this works. It would be good info to have on hand.

I also recommend not buying from that online retailer again.

Yea i have 2x5870s I havnt flashed the bios yet but i was planning to. Keep us updated!

Well it took a while but I finally got this thing running as it should have from the start, for some reasons the card would not perform no matter what I did with my Asus M3A78T motheboard so I changed it for a M479 Deluxe and bingo problem solved.Since I had my hands in it I also took the opportunity to upgrade my 940BE CPU for a 965BE just to add a little bit of speed, why not...

Anyway a week ago I added another 5870 to the mix and man does this thing run now,Farcry 2 benchmark with every settings maxed out and 8AA averages 90+ FPS, my GPU score in Vantage is 23000+ and Crysis Warhead is totally playable at enthusiast settings and 8AA (25-75+ FPS) the game looks totally awsome at those settings.:)

Last edited:
Glad to hear you tracked down your problem. It sounds like you are a happy camper.

The gameplay is actually very smooth, I am very pleased.

Sorry but 8x AA performance are still issue in Crysis for many users with 5xxx cards. The gameplay is not smooth with does aa settings.

TBH with 4xaa is very good.

Well I was talking about "microstuttering" as for Warhead I said it was totally playable at 8AA wich it is, I have yet to see my FPS dip below 25 and I would say thus far the game averages around mid 40s, I have yet to complete the game though so we shall see.

Well I was talking about "microstuttering" as for Warhead I said it was totally playable at 8AA wich it is, I have yet to see my FPS dip below 25 and I would say thus far the game averages around mid 40s, I have yet to complete the game though so we shall see.

what frequency is your CPU running on?

I have a Q6600 @ 3.6G and a ASUS 5970 @ 950/1200 is nowhere near your performance, and I have very little performance bump from 5870, and some place I actually have lower performance. not quite sure what exactly is happening with me.

I am running on 9.12hotfix, I tried all driver...

I am looking through MSI afterburner to check the GPU usage, both core uses 95-99% when the fps is extremely high, but some places like in Crysis's Contact mission where you suppose to go down and deactivate the jammer, that place I deep down to 30-35fps while others have 45-50+... the GPU usage drops to around 50-60% for some reason. I have very little fps difference when I set AA to 8 also...

there is no stutter at all, which I am surprise that ATI somehow manage to fix the stutter issue in Warhead when nVidia still not fix with SLI setup.

what frequency is your CPU running on?

I have a Q6600 @ 3.6G and a ASUS 5970 @ 950/1200 is nowhere near your performance, and I have very little performance bump from 5870, and some place I actually have lower performance. not quite sure what exactly is happening with me.

I am running on 9.12hotfix, I tried all driver...

I am looking through MSI afterburner to check the GPU usage, both core uses 95-99% when the fps is extremely high, but some places like in Crysis's Contact mission where you suppose to go down and deactivate the jammer, that place I deep down to 30-35fps while others have 45-50+... the GPU usage drops to around 50-60% for some reason. I have very little fps difference when I set AA to 8 also...

there is no stutter at all, which I am surprise that ATI somehow manage to fix the stutter issue in Warhead when nVidia still not fix with SLI setup.

My CPU is running at:

Ever since I installed 9.12Hotfix I have seen pretty substantial gains in my games, you say there is very little difference between running a single 5870 and your 5970 in Crysis, I personnally saw a huge difference between a single 5870 and running 2 of them in crossfire.I dont know what's going on with your set up but you should definitely see a pretty big bump in performance going from a 5870 to a 5970, those ATI 5000 series cards can be a serious pain in the rear end beleive me I know...

Back