my 9800pro died :(

JdoubleG

n00b
I posted last week about some problems with my computer, wondering weather it was my graphics card or my monitor.. well it was beyond any doubt the graphics card, and now it's become unusable..

So, I'm in the market for a new graphics card. Got about $150 bucks to spend... hopefully on a card that will last longer than 14 months this time. Thinking about the x700 series, and I'm wondering how this will compare to my 9800pro.

If you have any info or suggestions.. be sure to send them my way :D !
-JdoubleG!

Both the X700 and X700 Pro are almost always slower than your 9800 Pro was due to their limited memory bandwidth. Check here for comparisons. GeForce 6600GTs are consistently faster than a 9800 Pro and go for around $130 and up. 6600GTs are quicker than 9800 Pros (as shown here) but they're not spectacularly faster. If you're really looking for something which will you'll be happy with 14 months from now (in terms of game speed) then you should probably plan on spending some more money and get something quicker.

Im in the the same boat as you with a 9800Pro. Thing is this card is no longer able to keep up! Both Quake IV and FEAR murder this card! So I did the best thing I could do and got a Leadtek 6800LE off eaby for $75 which is unlocked 16/6. So other than the memory is a little slower than the 6800GT, it's the same card. So then I sell my Radeon 9800Pro for around $75 and break even!

My card is coming to me on monday and I should expect a 30-50% boost on average (depending on the game).

IMO it's not worth upgrading to PCI-E yet, I have a Baton 2500+ @ 2.4Ghz.

Oh... and for the price you wont find a better price/performance ration than the 6800LE or 6800 NU/Vanilla.

what kind of performance does the 6800 give stock.. and are any brands particularly good for overclocking?

Back