My Adventures in Parallel Water Cooling

Mysterae

Gawd
Having lived with my water cooled project parallel HEX for a little while now, I thought I would post some analysis to where the idea was originally born; here in the Water Cooling forum. I hope you find it interesting!

Everyone arranges their water cooling blocks in series, what would happen if the blocks were arranged in parallel?

For those that haven’t read my worklog or don’t have the time, here’s a brief history:

History
What seems like aeons ago, I set about routing my water blocks in an unorthodox parallel arrangement instead of the usual series methodology. The theory behind this was based on the same principals of calculating the total resistance in an electrical circuit. Quoted from wikipedia:

“Hydraulic Analogs
While the terms voltage, current and resistance are fairly intuitive terms, beginning students of electrical engineering might find the analog terms for water flow helpful. Water pressure, measured by international units in pascals (and commonly in units of pounds-force per square inch), is the analog of voltage because establishing a water pressure difference between two points along a (horizontal) pipe causes water to flow. Water flow rate, as in liters (or gallons) of water per minute, is the analog of current, as in coulombs per second. Finally, flow restrictors such as apertures placed in pipes between points where the water pressure is measured are the analog of resistors. We say that the rate of water flow through an aperture restrictor is proportional to the difference in water pressure across the restrictor. Similarly, the rate of flow of electrical charge, i.e. the electrical current, passing through an electrical resistor is proportional to the difference in voltage measured across the resistor.”

Still with me? I'll carry on...

The resistance of a series circuit compared to a parallel circuit (electrically speaking):

resistor_equation.gif

(Rm1 in the above equation is the resistance of the manifold used to split the circuit in to 6, which is in series with the parallel blocks and must have some resistance.)

Much less resistance right?

The Circuit
Here’s a schematic of how I was going to achieve connecting the blocks in parallel.

parallel_hex_schematic_v6.jpg

The Collector and Distributor
To be able to split a single loop into six, I build the Distributor:

stage_96.jpg

To merge the loops back into one and to act as a reservoir and drain point, I built the Collector:

collector_02a.jpg

I also had to modify the AC Cuplex XT cpu block to be 3-ports (1 in, 2 out):

cuplex_xt_mod_12.jpg

Here's some gratuitous, self pimping pics of the finished article:

final_001b.jpg

final_007.jpg

More pictures are over in my worklog.

Temperatures
All this is pointless without temperatures, so here they are. These are hardly scientific, with all the variance of temp sensors, changing ambients and the relatively uncontrolled enviroment. Still what I would call good though!

Stock Air Temperatures:
air_temps_01.gif

Water Cooling - 1 'D5' pump, 1 ThermoChill 'PA120.2' radiator (no case):
water_temps_01.gif

Water Cooling - 2 'D5' pump, 1 ThermoChill 'PA120.2' radiator (no case):
water_temps_02.gif

Water Cooling - 2 'D5' pump, 1 ThermoChill 'PA120.2' radiator (Final in the case):
water_temps_03.gif

The ambients are pretty high in the last chart, I've been meaning to do another set when it's a bit cooler. I included the Dt columns to show the difference in temps from the ambient, to show the change.

I'm pretty happy with the temps. I need to crank all fans up to about 80% to keep the machine happy when playing games. The pump speed only changes temps about 2C from the '1' setting to the '5' setting, I'll admit I expected more of a change. When the pc is idling or performing general low cpu tasks, I can turn get away with 2 fans off and 2 fans on min! (I rigged the fan controller so that one dial controls one radiator fan and one case fan simultaneously, as does the other dial).

The good, the bad and the downright wierd
One effect of setting the pump any higher than about 4, was the turbulence in the Collector. It was pretty bad, so much so the entire circuit was a mix of air and coolant.

stage_225.jpg

When I was benching the system out of the case, this settled down considerably because I filled the Collector as high as I could, plus most of the air was out of the system.

Once I eventually built the case and put everything in situ, the turbulence in the Collector took on a very strange effect. I can only describe it as foaming! It didn't do it before, everything was cleaned thoroughly before assembly. The only thing I changed was the UV additive.....I used AC's BlueMotion this time.

Here's what it's like after 10 minutes with the pumps on max:

final_016_g.jpg

final_016_h.jpg

final_019_a.jpg

A few days later, and my lovely blue loops were completely clear, no colour to them at all and certainly not UV reactive. The blue you see above is the UV leds, which my camera pick up as blue :rolleyes: .

Strangely, the foaming in the Collector had it's benefits. Look closely at the images before. The separation between the 'foam' and the undisturbed water is clearly visible. I've watched it and no bubbles are dragged into the circuit. Quite remarkable.

See for yourself here:

Video 1 of 6 - Night time illumination, shows the bubbling effect in the Collector.
Video 2 of 6 - Day time lighting, starts with the Collector effect, then reducing it.
Video 3 of 6 - Day time lighting, close up of the Collector effect and a general pan.
Video 4 of 6 - Night time illumination, with the laser being activated.
Video 5 of 6 - Night time illumination, with the laser being activated (again but longer).
Video 6 of 6 - Day time lighting, with the collector effect very visible.

Cheers, and thanks for the forum all the help!

Very nice nice nice!

AC's Blue Motion is evil. Did you do one drop at a time or dump the whole bottle in?

BTW, that bubbling is a common problem in vertical cylindrical reservoirs. To get rid of it (assuming it wasn't caused by the AC Blue Motion) is to stick a plastic brillo pad in there. You know the scouring kind for pots and pans that is made out of plastic?

Thanks Top Nurse, without the Great AC Multi-Tool Contest, it wouldn't have been possible ;) .

Yes, that Blue Motion is bad stuff. God knows where the blue dye of the coolant is collecting, probably in the Cuplex, I haven't opened it up yet to take a look! I only put about a fifth of the bottle, probably too much. I was tempted to put more in :D .

I'm not sure I want rid of the effect just yet, it isn't doing anything detrimental, not yet anyway. But your idea of a plastic brillo pad is a great one! I was thinking of using a ping pong ball, with markings on it to see how it moved. I opted for nothing, which is better than the packaging peanuts I used in the test system!

Foam peanuts in a 7 up bottle.... Was Rube Goldberg your distant relative? :p :D :p

I would drain the stem and flush with copious amounts of distilled. Then put UV light on and drop by drop of Blue Motion till you get desired results.

I'll admit I had to Google Rube Goldberg, then check my family tree! Alas, no such distant relative but I see your point!

If I decide to flush the system, I doubt I will put the Blue Motion back in. I'll keep with the generic additive. I'm happy with the 'foamer' at the moment tho'!

If you are happy with the other aspects of your coolant I would suggest an anti foaming agent of some sort.

I had completely forgotten this project existed! Good job finishing it up though! It looks just as crazy (and ridiculously awesome) as I thought it was gonna be.

Damn...

I go away for a bit and when I come back everyone's an AC Hater. Shame on the forum...

I really thought this thread would have been interesting to the water cooling community and expected more comments, theories and such. Go figure.

It's possible that you have air pockets in the Rad. And the additive is probably working like dish soap. The only way to really get rid of micro bubbles is to remove all air (even up to the filler point). With so many lines and being so thin, it would take quite a while for the air to settle.

I'm a long-time fan of your Hex casemod, so let's start by getting that out of the way.

That said- you're not the only one thinking of parallel blocks. :) If I can ever afford one, I have a strong suspicion that the Fuzion GPU block will become unGODly if you pair it up with a "restrictive" CPU block, a modern analogue of the original Storm. (A pity, but we've all seen by now that Cathar's design just isn't designed to deal with Quads. :()

Now we just need to wait for D-Tek or someone else to make such a block. :rolleyes:

Back