My Ati 9000 IGP

SPIDEI2MAN

Weaksauce
Will it be able to run Doom 3?

Its part of a laptop so I can't upgade, unless in the near future someone invents an external video card. Anyways, here are the specs of the laptop:

256 RAM
64 mb integrated Moblility Radeon 9000 IGP
2.8 Celeron
Win XP Home
JBL Pro Sound

You can you just need some more ram. The Moblie 9000 is just like desktop version, so he is good. Get another 256 stick, and run 640-480 med to low details and it will run.

Vengance_01 said:
You can you just need some more ram. The Moblie 9000 is just like desktop version, so he is good. Get another 256 stick, and run 640-480 med to low details and it will run.

Sure?

Yeah the ram part is kinda low, but for comparative purposes..I can run Far Cry on the lowest settings and I get awesome gameplay, 60+ FPS at the least. But when I switch it to meduim settings, the game wont even load.

So just the stick of ram??

And btw I am not a one time poster never see me again, I'd like to stay in this community so get used to me!

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Sure?

Yeah the ram part is kinda low, but for comparative purposes..I can run Far Cry on the lowest settings and I get awesome gameplay, 60+ FPS at the least. But when I switch it to meduim settings, the game wont even load.

So just the stick of ram??

And btw I am not a one time poster never see me again, I'd like to stay in this community so get used to me!

Buy a 9600XT and another 256megs of ram you should be ok at 640X480 or 800X600 res at MQ....that 9000IGP will hamper your gameplay :/

DASHlT

DASHlT said:
Buy a 9600XT and another 256megs of ram you should be ok at 640X480 or 800X600 res at MQ....that 9000IGP will hamper your gameplay :/

DASHlT
Why not READ my first post...its a laptop..can't upgrade..

Actually, the biggest problem I see isn't as much the video card as the processor. P4 Celerons are like steaming piles of dog shit. Intel castrated them so badly it's like running a processor at half the speed.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Since when...and ok consider mine un upgradable..its integrated graphics...

Check out dell, they even have an option to upgrade your ATI 9700 to a 9800 if you want...it is possible...just depends on the laptop

DASHlT

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Since when...and ok consider mine un upgradable..its integrated graphics...

The Dell XPS laptops actually have upgradeable graphics, as well as a few other models from other vendors.

Tim said:
Actually, the biggest problem I see isn't as much the video card as the processor. P4 Celerons are like steaming piles of dog shit. Intel castrated them so badly it's like running a processor at half the speed.

Whcih is why it was 100$ cheaper. But reall in my opinion the bottleneck of this system is the ATI...still hoping that doom3 will run on it though..

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Whcih is why it was 100$ cheaper. But reall in my opinion the bottleneck of this system is the ATI...still hoping that doom3 will run on it though..

Your bottleneck is your Ram, CPU, and video card.....the min specs for ram is 384

DASHlT

so bottom line..if i get another 256 ram stick..will i get gameplay at low settings? (decent gameplay)

SPIDEI2MAN said:
so bottom line..if i get another 256 ram stick..will i get gameplay at low settings? (decent gameplay)

<guessing here> I would say yes....from what I hear doom3 LOVES more ram...so the more the better

DASHlT

DASHlT said:
<guessing here> I would say yes....from what I hear doom3 LOVES more ram...so the more the better

DASHlT

What about a GB of ram???

would that help out and make it run better? Is it worth paying that much?? or is 512 sufficient you think?

SPIDEI2MAN said:
What about a GB of ram???

would that help out and make it run better? Is it worth paying that much?? or is 512 sufficient you think?

o ya easy...but I dunno how that video card will handle....I mean you could always try 640X480 LQ <which [H] says still looks good> I think you would be ok with 1gig of ram

DASHlT

DASHlT said:
o ya easy...but I dunno how that video card will handle....I mean you could always try 640X480 LQ <which [H] says still looks good> I think you would be ok with 1gig of ram

DASHlT

Ok now..where the fuck do i put the ram and how do i know what kind to buy...

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Ok now..where the fuck do i put the ram and how do i know what kind to buy...

I think with laptops...you gotta pay someone to do it...only some laptops can be upgraded...all depends...where did you buy it from? dell? HP?....

DASHlT

DASHlT said:
I think with laptops...you gotta pay someone to do it...only some laptops can be upgraded...all depends...where did you buy it from? dell? HP?....

DASHlT

Bought it from Staples.com ..its an R3000T...there is a little flap on the bottom where you unscrew it..i think thats where the ram Goes..tomorrow I'll take a picture of it and you can tell me ok?

Vengance_01 said:

That's not a mobile 9000. That's the integrated-into-the-mobo no dedicated ram one. It's like the NF2 GF4mx. it sucks.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Bought it from Staples.com ..its an R3000T...there is a little flap on the bottom where you unscrew it..i think thats where the ram Goes..tomorrow I'll take a picture of it and you can tell me ok?

Yep, that would be it. look on crucial.com to wsee what kind you need.

lopoetve said:
Yep, that would be it. look on crucial.com to wsee what kind you need.
ok.

But do you agree that at 512 or more ram that doom3 will run at 800x600 or higher resolution at low to med details with NO choppy gameplay?

SPIDEI2MAN said:
ok.

But do you agree that at 512 or more ram that doom3 will run at 800x600 or higher resolution at low to med details with NO choppy gameplay?
I doubt it
your system is barely meeting minimum spec for this game(presently your ram does not meet it at all)

I dont think anyone could justify the extra cost of 1gb over 512mb in that system.

look at the [H]'s Doom3 hardware review, your system wont be much better then the min spec one tested there 640x400. But of course you MAY find 800x600 "playable" youll just have to try it.

Probably not. The 64MB 8500 in [H]'s test had 8 texturing units, dedicated memory with 8GB/s bandwidth and still only managed 640x480/Low Quality. It might run OK if you start turning off effects.

The big brother to the Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP (the Mobility 9100 IGP) gets slaughtered in most benchmarks by the discrete GF4 MX440 (NV17M) mobile chip to put overall performance in perspective.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
ok.

No. Not on that

640x480, low, you can pull off with bump maps off, I'd expect.

Got another PC?

I'm going to buy doom3 and run it on my geforce 4 mx, just so people can get an idea of what to expect.

Then like a day after that I'm going to install my radeon 9800 pro.

Mushroom Prince said:
I'm going to buy doom3 and run it on my geforce 4 mx, just so people can get an idea of what to expect.

Then like a day after that I'm going to install my radeon 9800 pro.

1.) is the Geforce 4 MX equivalent to the 9000 IGP?

2.) When are you doing this?

3.) kep me updated please!

lopoetve said:
No. Not on that

640x480, low, you can pull off with bump maps off, I'd expect.

Got another PC?

Eh, see i don't think my comp is THAT out of date to be able to run only those settings. UGH. LIFE SUCKS!

SPIDEI2MAN said:
Eh, see i don't think my comp is THAT out of date to be able to run only those settings. UGH. LIFE SUCKS!
heh that laptop was outdated the day that you bought it, if you inteded to use it for gaming.

its just chock full o' crap that was not ment for games

1. 2.8 CELERON... i dont think anyone here has gamed on celery cince the Pentium2/3 days. If you go by the "half the speed P4"=1.4ghz p4.... barely min for D3
2. radeon 9000 igp... crap again, on the same level as a gf4 MX... again min spec
3. 256mb ram... below spec

this makes for a fine office/business app or wireless websurfing machine, but I would be thankfull if it ran d3 at all if that were my only machine.

if you want a gaming laptop, look into alienware or dell xps they come with good graphics to begin with and are upgradeable.

SPIDEI2MAN said:

You're right, your computer is not out of date, compared to other LAPTOPS. Laptops and desktops are on a totally different scale when it comes to gaming, so in regards to Doom3 it's not that it's out of date as much as it is that it is simply not meant for that type of computing. Sucks, but that's the way it is. You want to game? Put together a desktop with a Barton and a 9800 Pro, you'll be in good shape and it won't cost much.

DASHIT

SPIDEI2MAN said:
1.) is the Geforce 4 MX equivalent to the 9000 IGP?

2.) When are you doing this?

3.) kep me updated please!

GF4MX > Anything integrated with shared memory. Shared memory systems are the bane of video cards. You're sharing the bus with other items, your ram is only at the fsb speed, and it's shared bandwidth for that as well.

EDIT: And you've lost that 64mb for system / game usage, since the video has it.

TheScott2K said:
You're right, your computer is not out of date, compared to other LAPTOPS. Laptops and desktops are on a totally different scale when it comes to gaming, so in regards to Doom3 it's not that it's out of date as much as it is that it is simply not meant for that type of computing. Sucks, but that's the way it is. You want to game? Put together a desktop with a Barton and a 9800 Pro, you'll be in good shape and it won't cost much.

DASHIT

Actually, compared to other laptops, he's out of date.

$1300
Athlon 64 3000+
ATi Radeon 9600 64mb Discrete
512mb DDR
60gb HD
CD-RW/DVD
15.4" Widescreen.

That'll play it at low/medium at 800x600. I ~might~ squeeze out 1024x768. Still at low.

SPIDEI2MAN said:

You bought a workstation laptop, NOT a gaming laptop.

lopoetve said:
Actually, compared to other laptops, he's out of date.

$1300
Athlon 64 3000+
ATi Radeon 9600 64mb Discrete
512mb DDR
60gb HD
CD-RW/DVD
15.4" Widescreen.

That'll play it at low/medium at 800x600. I ~might~ squeeze out 1024x768. Still at low.

You bought a workstation laptop, NOT a gaming laptop.

That laptop was 1300...i bought mine for 600....less than half the price...

I guess you got what you paid for. A $1300 laptop has a good shot at playing Doom 3 in a way that looks tolerable. Maybe. $2000 laptop would be better.

A $600 laptop? Nope, sorry.

For starters, all the posters who keep saying Radeon 9000 IGP = GF4MX are confusing the Radeon 9000 IGP with the Radeon Mobility 9000. Different memory interaction. A 9000 IGP is more in the GF2 family for performance - you can just forget about it playing Doom 3. The CPU is also too slow, and you don't have enough memory.

In fact, I'd bet based on those specs, you also have a nice, slow, laptop 4500rpm ATA100 hard drive with maybe 1mb cache. Load times would be HELL.

My wife's laptop is the same way (only, with much more ram - 640mb, and a MUCH faster CPU - AthlonXP 2500+. Talking nearly twice as fast as yours!). It's good enough for what she uses it for - browsing the web, watching TV on the ATI TV Wonder USB, doing documentation and other office work, etc. But it can't play games. CERTAINLY not Doom3, no way in hell.

Back