My Ati 9000 IGP

dderidex said:
I guess you got what you paid for. A $1300 laptop has a good shot at playing Doom 3 in a way that looks tolerable. Maybe. $2000 laptop would be better.

A $600 laptop? Nope, sorry.

For starters, all the posters who keep saying Radeon 9000 IGP = GF4MX are confusing the Radeon 9000 IGP with the Radeon Mobility 9000. Different memory interaction. A 9000 IGP is more in the GF2 family for performance - you can just forget about it playing Doom 3. The CPU is also too slow, and you don't have enough memory.

In fact, I'd bet based on those specs, you also have a nice, slow, laptop 4500rpm ATA100 hard drive with maybe 1mb cache. Load times would be HELL.

My wife's laptop is the same way (only, with much more ram - 640mb, and a MUCH faster CPU - AthlonXP 2500+. Talking nearly twice as fast as yours!). It's good enough for what she uses it for - browsing the web, watching TV on the ATI TV Wonder USB, doing documentation and other office work, etc. But it can't play games. CERTAINLY not Doom3, no way in hell.
:(....well i still got ut2k4 on high details!!!!!!

dderidex said:
In fact, I'd bet based on those specs, you also have a nice, slow, laptop 4500rpm ATA100 hard drive with maybe 1mb cache. Load times would be HELL.
What's the big deal? He's already in hell playing Doom 3 anyway ;)

But seriously on that comp.... having to play Far Cry in 1024x768 but on lowest settings.
There's no way you'll be able to squeeze 800x600 out of that comp. Even with my 9700Pro I'll just barely be over 30FPS most of the time at 1024x768 on medium detail. But with a 9000 IGP Where you're sharing the memory bandwidth with other components. There's just not going to be enough bandwidth to go around to everything or memory space. So then it'll switch to virtual memory and start writing to that 4000-4200 RPM laptop HD in there, extremely slowly and let the massive performance drops from swapping begin! Even with 512MB of RAM supposedly there's still a bit of swapping going on with the RAM because of texture sizes fill it all up really fast. The only real advantage integrated graphics has over add in boards is the swapping with the RAM takes less of a hit on performance. Mainly due to the fact that if the graphics memory has been filled up it's just going to take the extra ram out of the AGP Aperature, less performance because it doesn't have to get it from anywhere else. The memory will still come from the System memory instead of like an add-in board where if the dedicated memory has been filled it has to go through the process of retrieving everything through the system memory which has to retrieve it through the hard drive.

This is basically the path for extra video memory.

Memory:

Integrated:
GPU --> System memory --> Hard drive (In the case of a system memory being completely used) (Obviously no performance drop from retrieving textures and such from system memory because it's ALREADY getting it from the memory)

Add-in:
GPU --> Dedicated onboard memory --> System memory (AGP Aperature) --> Hard drive

With the add-in cards you have the added time of the data travel all the way down on the motherboard down the IDE/SATA/SCSI cable from the platters.

So don't expect to be able to do 800x600 on that $600 laptop. I'd hardly expect it to do well on 640x480 with low settings.

I'm estimating my laptop to be able to play Doom3 at 640*480 low detail.
But then again I'm not expecting much at all from it.
Pentium mobile 1.4ghz
512 MB RAM
ATI Mobility 9200 with 64 MB dedicated VRAM

It does score 7400 in 3dmark 2k1 though.

dderidex said:
I guess you got what you paid for. A $1300 laptop has a good shot at playing Doom 3 in a way that looks tolerable. Maybe. $2000 laptop would be better.

A $600 laptop? Nope, sorry.

For starters, all the posters who keep saying Radeon 9000 IGP = GF4MX are confusing the Radeon 9000 IGP with the Radeon Mobility 9000. Different memory interaction. A 9000 IGP is more in the GF2 family for performance - you can just forget about it playing Doom 3. The CPU is also too slow, and you don't have enough memory.

My wife's laptop is the same way (only, with much more ram - 640mb, and a MUCH faster CPU - AthlonXP 2500+. Talking nearly twice as fast as yours!). It's good enough for what she uses it for - browsing the web, watching TV on the ATI TV Wonder USB, doing documentation and other office work, etc. But it can't play games. CERTAINLY not Doom3, no way in hell.

9000 IGP == GF4MX IGP on Nforce2. That's what we've been saying.

And the M6805 is more than tolerable for Doom3...

Back