My BFG GTX 280 OC Died!

My third BFG GTX 280 died today. It lived for 23 days and ran great with good temperatures. I was playing COD 4 and my monitor went into power save mode. No more video from it period. This is how my first one died. It only ran at stock speeds with no overclocking. BFG is doing all they can do. They are giving me free return shipping but they still will not cross ship. I'm done with nVidia until they prove themselves again. I'll be buying a HD 4870 X2 tonight. If anyone wants a GTX 280 on the cheap when I get the replacement, send me a PM.

Wow! I am glad I bought ATI 4870.

Talk about bad luck. All 4 of the EVGA GTX280s I've bought worked great. (sent first 2 back and reordered 2 for net $300 savings).

Talk about bad luck. All 4 of the EVGA GTX280s I've bought worked great. (sent first 2 back and reordered 2 for net $300 savings).
I've had three evga GTX 280s and all have worked flawlessly (knock on wood). I sold one when I decided to give up on SLi and go with an Intel-based motherboard. But then when LotrO fixed its SLi issues, I re-bought one.

No problems!

I'd test my PCI-E power connectors if three of mine had fried.

I've had three evga GTX 280s and all have worked flawlessly (knock on wood). I sold one when I decided to give up on SLi and go with an Intel-based motherboard. But then when LotrO fixed its SLi issues, I re-bought one.

No problems!

I'd test my PCI-E power connectors if three of mine had fried.

I am considering replacing my power supply. It ran my 8800 GTX, 9800GX2, and HD 4870 with zero problems. It's a PC&Power cooling 750 silencer. I've only heard excellent things about it. I hate to waste money on a new power supply if it's good.

So far so good here on my 280 and I over clock it to boot:D

I decided to go ahead and replace my power supply just in case. I'm still going to get a HD 4870 x2 though.

I’ve had a chance to research and ponder why I have had so many GTX 280s die on me. Many suggest that I have something else going on with my machine that is causing the deaths. While all of the components in my machine have been rock solid until the induction of the GTX 280, I am beginning to believe that there is in fact something in my machine killing the cards. The cards work and perform well for about three weeks before instant death, so it’s a degradation thing.

I think it has to be the power supply. It’s a PC&Power Cooling Silencer 750 that has been rock solid for about a year and a half. However, I have to use an 8-pin adapter because it does not have one natively. I know there has been a lot of debate about the adapter and EVGA recommends against it. I ran my 9800GX2 with an 8-pin adapter without issue though.

I have ordered this power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371018

After reading [H] review:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUzMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

I hope this solves my issues. Does anyone else have any ideas on what else could kill a video card besides a power supply?

If GreenGoose's hypothesis proves correct, I'm quite happy that I have a Corsair HX620W modular PSU and that Corsair is sending me a native 8-pin atm as my eVGA GTX 280 is en route.

Ok, so I got the 8-pin from Corsair... which apparently is just a 6-pin plus 2. However, it's a tad funkier than that. It's a Y cable and the 6-pin plus two connector is on one of the top parts of the Y, with a regular 6-pin occupying the other part and another regular 6-pin sitting at the base of the Y. This seems to indicate that I should just plug-in the 6-pin at the base to the PSU and the 6-pin to the GTX 280's 6-pin slot and the 6-pin plus 2 to the 8-pin's slot. This seems to defeat the purpose of using an 8-pin at all if I now have 14-pins being supplied by 6-pins... Atm, I'm using eVGA's converter that takes two 6-pins hooked into the PSU and turns them into a single 8-pin.

On a side note, for everyone who's been complaining about GTX 280's overheating... have you guys tried tweaking the fan speed? My eVGA GTX 280's fan speed started at only 40% so I amped it up to 80% and where before in Crysis and TrackMania United Forever and Company of Heroes and etc (games that push the GTX 280 and are bound by it and not another piece of hardware) the card would reach 82C, I now have never seen it break the 70C barrier (and I still have room to amp the fan up some more).

Back