My computer is slowly dieing!!

Hoof

Limp Gawd
Ive had this dell 8200 for almost 5 yeras now, a couple of days ago I was listening to some music when suddenly poof no sound at all. My speakers are still on (logitech z5500's) just no sound is coming out. About a day later I restart my computer, and suddenly poof one my monitors doesnt work, a dell 2405, but my 2005fpw still works. The 2405 will still turn on just like my speakers will but for some reason my computer isnt recognizing them. Right now I am using headphones and my 2005fpw wondering wtf is going on. Someone help!

Not enough information but why would you be using such nice monitors (Dell 2405) and speaker system with such an old 5 year old computer?

If you haven't changed any hardware and your MOBO is 5 years old I would first suspect your CMOS battery. If you have access to a voltmeter you can measure it (measure from a MOBO mounting screw to the top of the battery if you don't want to remove it). It should be 3 volts or more.

Next, suspect the CMOS memory is corrupted. You can reset the CMOS on most mobos by moving a junper for a few seconds then moving it back. But afterwards you need to reset the clock, boot order, HD type (if a SATA capable MOBO), enable or disable onboard video/sound/LAN as appropriate for your system.

the only hardware change ive made recently is ive been using this new APC UPS. I am so frustrated right now. Having spent at least $2600 on new computer parts over the last month, just to have some of them be defective. Now ive been waiting for almost 2 weeks for the freaking rma to get back. And now my old computer is about to blow up, im just ready to give up on all this shit and get a new tv or something :mad:

Back