My DFI SLI-DR just went, I need a replacement on the cheap.

The-One

Gawd
I believe my DFI SLI-DR board just died. (maybe cpu, not sure) The MB shows no sign of booting. No fans turn on or anything.
I checked the PSU with a tester and it tested good so I don't think it's that. (Checked ram with spare ram too)
But I can't get the computer to boot. So I need to get my PC working on the cheap. I don't see any S939 MB's around anymore.
So it looks like my only options is a cheap AM2 or cheap Intel setup. I would need new ram since my system uses DDR. So I would need a MB, ram, cpu all for around $150.00.

My potential configuration so far is...

MSI K9NGM4-F V.2 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130162

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231144

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103776

But I'm not sure what the best bang for the buck is right now. That is why I'm asking here. Can someone configure me a better setup for around the same price ?
AMD or Intel, it really doesn't matter. But the price does, I can't go past $150-$200 for these parts. I didn't list anything Intel because I'm not familiar with the Intel side. If you can show me a better performing or a more OC freindly system for around the same price. That would be awesome.

Thanks

Ever considered buying used? If I upgrade I'll most likely be selling off my old parts.

Sorry, I was hoping for a cheap C2D setup for the Intel side.
I don't want a Pentium. But I like that ram

The E2xxx series Allendale cores are actually "value-priced" Core 2 Duo chips with only 1MB of L2 cache. They're Pentiums in name only.

The E2xxx series Allendale cores are actually "value-priced" Core 2 Duo chips with only 1MB of L2 cache. They're Pentiums in name only.

What are pople getting with OC's with these things ?
And what OC could I possibly get with this setup ? would the ram or mb limit me at all ?

Many people have reached 3GHz with them, but they top out at around 3.2GHz-3.4GHz. You could reach those speeds using DDR2 800 RAM.

And no, the amount of cache won't limit you much, if at all. Check out the FAQ for more details.

Many people have reached 3GHz with them, but they top out at around 3.2GHz-3.4GHz. You could reach those speeds using DDR2 800 RAM.

And no, the amount of cache won't limit you much, if at all. Check out the FAQ for more details.

Thanks

But I'm confused with your statement about the cache. Are you just saying that this cpu having lesser cache won't hurt the performance of this machine compared to a regular C2D ?

I figured this since it was true with the AMD X2's as well. They had like a 10% difference between the 512kb and the 1mb caches, give or take. But thanks, I appreciate you putting me on to these allendales. I missed this some where along the way.

Back