My experience...aka problems with the new Razer Mamba (if you own one please read)

phildabill

Limp Gawd
Hello,

After breaking my good old logitech mx700 three months ago, I decided to give Razer a try. I bought a Deathadder as I always liked a big mouse, and I directly loved it… extremely comfortable, fast and precise.I decided to order the Mamba since I loved the Deathadder but hated the cord.

This is a quick review/rant of my problems with the mouse. Note that if it worked properly, it would easily be the greatest mouse ever made. I am running on XP64bits, and updated the firmware from an XP32 machine (64 is not supported yet):

1. Going from wired to wireless is NOT seamless. In my case, every time I do the swap, the cursor of the mouse does not work (buttons do though). I have to turn the mouse OFF/ON to reinitialize it. Since I turn it off, the polling frequency resets to 500hz and has to be changed back to 1000hz (check 4-5).

2. Sleep mode. Every time my mouse goes into sleep mode for a certain period of time, it does not resume properly. This was supposedly addressed in the firmware update, and I can confirm that it was tampered with as the results are different now…
    Before the update, the mouse would look as if it were working (battery lights on, changing profiles via mouse buttons worked), but the mouse itself did not work (cursor and buttons). I would have to turn ON/OFF the mouse to wake it up (and reset polling rate).
    After the firmware update, it can now sometimes work, but there are still chances it will bug. I have seen 3 scenarios up to now:
    - Same as pre-update.
    - The buttons work but not the cursor (going wired/wireless fixed the problem).
    - The cursor locks up every 10 seconds (wired/wireless does NOT work, I am currently stuck with this!)

3. Waking up the mouse takes up to 8 seconds (when it works)! You are reading this right…up to 8 seconds. 8 seconds of staring at your computer screen for the cursor to become active (buttons work though). It does seem however that the mouse has more than 1 sleeping stage, as if you stop using the mouse for 2-3 min, waking it up takes 1 second. Apparently this is normal behavious and “Moving it around your mouse pad usually helps speed up the wake-up process.” (From one of their tech support replies)

4. The Mamba configurator must read the on-board memory of the mouse every time it is opened. In wired mode this takes 3-4 seconds. In wireless however, this takes at least 10 seconds. Writing the firmware via wireless takes longer, and occurs when you click APPLY and OK. This means that every time you make a change, the firmware is written 2 times, once upon pressing ‘apply’, and once upon pressing ‘ok’ to close the application.

5. The Mamba configurator locks up ALL INPUT DEVICES for a few seconds when reading/writing the firmware (Only sais the mouse so in the popup). In my case it locks my PS2 keyboard and my Deathadder (plugged when I was comparing the 2). Therefore it is not only limited to USB. Seeing how it locks I/O for a few seconds, I do not think it would be a good idea to open the configurator while performing I/O on external devices (ie: transferring data to a USB drive).

6. On my specific mouse, the 6th button (default Sensitivity stage up) is hard to press. While this is a problem, a simple RMA would fix it. No need to elaborate on that. Manufacturing errors occur…

7. On my specific mouse, even when the battery is fully charged, the power bars only light up 2/3 bars.

Little rant on the packaging: it is a mouse….not a trophy. It is completely useless (the old cardboard box was fine). While this should not be of any importance, it definitely plays a role in the price of the mouse. Shipping would have also been cheaper. Living in Montreal Canada, I paid 30$ US for the shipping from Olean, NY (400 miles)…

I am curious to know if I am the only one experiencing these problems. Seeing how the mouse was released 1 month ago and there aren’t complaints, I hope my case is unique. Else it is completely unacceptable to release a product like this.

If you own a Mamba, please post whether or not you are experiencing these or other problems.

Regards,

Phil

UPDATE:: Haven't been able to fix the bug on mine since it woke up this morning....Tried it on a 32 bit system, got the same problem....Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG7SNqrNDMg
UPDATE:: The problem has become a lot more sporadic, but still occurs. Stopped using the mouse as it was driving me nuts. Awaiting confirmation from razer to replace the mouse.
UPDATE:: Started using the mouse again with the new driver...still have most of the issues. Noticed wireless starts bugging according to battery level (mine still doesn't charge to full). Maybe its lacking the power to emit and the indicator is NOT reliable.
UPDATE:: Razer is sending me a new mouse. Thankfully I don't have to pay for shipping, as it would easlily cost 40$CAN to send it from Montreal to California.
UPDATE:: Asked for a full refund as replacement had issues...
UPDATE:: Tried the new beta 1.05 firmware. Mouse still locks up I/O, except this time if I am pressing a key on keyboard it acts as if I was holding it. Still does not charge on dock with mouse turned ON (on both, original+replacement)...
UPDATE:: After letting it sit and charge on another computer for a few days. The mouse now seems to be working perfectly fine. Only problem is going from wired->wireless, clicking takes a good 20 secs to work. Removed my conclusion as I *could* be wrong :p
UPDATE:: check my last post.

Last edited:
I was looking at this mouse, but due to your issues, I'll hold off until I can confirm they're gone.

Feel wise, is it the same size as the Deathadder?

I was looking at this mouse, but due to your issues, I'll hold off until I can confirm they're gone.

Feel wise, is it the same size as the Deathadder?

It is heavier (does not affect my movement), the side buttons are sturdier (not as loose as the deathadder, not necessarily better but higher quality components), and they added the side curves like the copperhead.

Pics:

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but ever since this topic got buried...razer support became ALOT slower (went from a few hours for a reply to a few days)....

Bump so this makes the front page again :p

Great post, I've had a similar experience.

Have you gotten a reply form Razer about a replacement?

I purchased the Razer Mamba in hopes of replacing a beat up, but not broken wireless Microsoft mouse. The Microsoft mouse is so outrageously comfortable, that I put up with input lag and the chirping noise it makes (voltage regulator?).

Here are the problems I've come across with the Razer Mamba, in order of most severe to benign:

1. Wireless mode is simply not reliable. This is obviously a deal breaker, and I will likely be returning the mouse within my 30 day return period. Razer support suggests that it may be a wireless interference issue, but I do not think I am in a particularly 2.4GHz noisy environment. Posts on a razer community forum also echo this problem, with the only solution being "use it in wired mode". For a product that touts its "superior interference immunity"*, it is the most unreliable wireless mouse I've used in the past five years. Note that disabling the only other 2.4GHz peripheral within at least a 25 foot radius does not help.

2. The battery charge issue, which has been fixed in the 1.03 firmware. The fact that this problem made it to retail suggests very little quality assurance testing, and the 2+ week delay for this firmware does not inspire much confidence in Razer's team.

3. "Jittering" cursor on soft mouse pads. This is really a testament to how sensitive the sensor is. The mouse picks up the tiny bit of deformation from clicking the mouse and translates it into movement. Fortunately Razer support is offering a free teflon O-ring to help stabilize the mouse which may help.

4. The Mamba occasionally resets its sensitivity level to the default. For example, I leave the mouse set at the third of five steps, and come back later to find it on the fifth step (yes, I'm certain no one else has touched it). Perhaps it power cycled itself? Turning the mouse off and on exhibits the same behavior. Unfortunately this is hard to replicate because problem #1 makes it difficult to use the mouse for any period of time.

5. Slow wakeup, as described in the OP. It is many seconds slower than the two other wireless mice I have: Logitech VX Revolution, Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer 2.0.

6. Going from wired to wireless, and vice versa, is not seamless as described in the OP. I usually don't use it in wired mode though, so this is not a major issue for me. I see problems with this in a long gaming session though, when an empty battery will force me to plug it in.

7. The Mamba configurator is slow as described in the OP.

Another rant on packaging: The excessive packaging adds unnecessary cost and unwarranted hype for this mouse. I would guess very few people will keep the packaging anywhere outside of the storage closet or trash can.

* "superior interference immunity" - http://www2.razerzone.com/mamba/sciencetech.html

I updated my post. Razer is sending me a new mouse.

1- It's the mouse...not your router :p

2- While my mouse does have the 1.03 firmware, battery still does not fully charge when turned on (on dock or wired mode).

3 - I do not have the jitter issues.

4 - Actually didnt pay attention when waking up the mouse, especially since it would actually wakeup 1 out of 3 times....

5 - I really liked the Razer employees comment on the power sleep issues:
Razer|Wave said:
"Problem #3 This is obviously done to persevere battery life. I cannot say I have had the opportunity to test out this issue and how long it actually takes, but I can tell you the MX does not have the fast 1 MS latency that the Mamba has. If this becomes a major issue for you please highlight to our support team, the engineers maybe able to do something with later FW updates. (No promises)"

MAJOR BS for the latency statement. Clicking works almost instantly to wakeup the screen, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the latency difference. It's the power up/calibration sequence of the laser, which I doubt can be fixed via firmware (unless quick checks are made).

I will wait for my replacement to arrive to test and see if the problems still exist. If they do, I will ask for a full refund including shipping.

On another note, my DeathAdder which is 3 months old is now starting to have the 'double-click registered when single click' problem...

So I received a replacement mouse (I made a mistake in the civic number so it took more time to ship).

Still the same sporadic behaviour.

I asked them for a full refund including shipping charges. I usually do not bitch about the shipping, but seeing the rate I was charged and the retarded casing for the product, I felt I had to.

If they refuse I'll take it up to Paypal and then my CC company (already spoke with my CC, they confirmed they will chargeback if Razer/Paypal refuses).

quick bump.

Tested the beta 1.05 firmware, still getting the same problems or worst. Now the I/O lockups occur at any time, and sometimes, if typing, the key will act as if it was held (ie: aaaaaaaaaaaaa).. Can't comment on 2-3 as I do not leave the mouse connected to the system..lockups are driving me nuts...

Please comment/reply if you have this mouse (especially if you run on XP64).

Last edited:
I actually considered buying one. Not gonna chance it now.

Sorry to hear of all the trouble you are going through. Hope you get it resolved or a full refund.

I actually just purchased a Mamba after my MX1000 died a slow death.

First impressions are quite good. I've updated to firmware 1.3 and the newest drivers and I've haven't had any issues with the mouse. The tracking is great, blows the MX1000 out of the water. I haven't encountered the jittering bug (yet) that some are experiencing when pressing the buttons quickly. The weight is just about right, it's very similar to the MX1000. I'm quite pleased with the mouse, it's everything that I was expecting out of the hardware.

Once I have more time to use it, I'll post an update.

I connected the mouse to another computer and let it charge for the weekend. Picked it up today to test.

To my surprise...EVERYTHING worked. I rebooted to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but the mouse STILL worked well.

The laser wakeup from sleep is extremely fast (1-2sec max), no more chopping.

I tried going from Wireless to wired, smooth as hell, worked within 2-3 secs.

Only problem I noticed was when going back to wireless, the laser worked fine, but the left/right mouse buttons took about 20 secs to work. It only kept bugging in Firefox, which required a close/reopen (clicking tabs didn't work but clicking links did, right clicking was sporadic..).

This mouse is becoming more and more appealing, as it is actually starting to work as intended.

Ill post again in a couple of days to make sure this isn't a fluke...

After using it for a few days, the mouse still works great. Got a few hiccups while playing some games, but nothing to cry about...

Overall the new firmware definitely fixed MY mouse, and I am now with a happy product :p

I just received my teflon ring from Razer and I can say that the few "jittering" issues that I had have all but disappeared. The mouse it great, it's been a great replacement for my MX1000 and worth every penny IMHO.

I actually considered buying one. Not gonna chance it now.

Sorry to hear of all the trouble you are going through. Hope you get it resolved or a full refund.

yeah same here. Thanks for the review.
7221e5c8ec6b08ef6d3f9ff3ce6eb1d1.gif

As much as I want to use a Razer mouse, just can't bring myself to do it.

I only stick with Logitech for the Drivers/Software. Razer's drivers are a PITA.

Just bought this mouse today, installed the drivers, updated the firmware, then went to test it out in cs:s for a while, I did really good. My score was only 28/13 but I pulled off some moves that I usually could never do. Like on dust2 there were two guys on the bridge to A over ct spawn with me below them, both shooting at me, and I took them both out with an m4 - usually you are disadvantaged here and I am lucky if I can get one guy. Took out a couple of T awpers behind the bricks on that same bridge with easy shots to the head, and killed 3 guys with a famas who were trying to plant at A in one long burst, usually I can't kill that many because I end up shooting all over the place while they take me down. So thumbs up from me in gameplay.

I don't plan on using wireless mode so I don't care about those issues, didn't even test wireless mode only wired, but so far no issues except a minor one, the slow wake up after you haven't moved the mouse for a while. I'm glad I got it, but it's not for everyone at that price.

Last edited:
After some more time with the Mamba, I've changed my mind. Basically a 180, for some reason movements sometimes don't register, so I'll move the mouse but the cursor doesn't move like I moved the mouse, and sometimes the mouse goes to sleep WHILE you're using it, and when you pick it up, so I'm taking mine back to best buy today, maybe when they fix these issues I'll buy it again. But I will say, when it works, it works really good. But for $120 it has to be a bit more solid, quite a bit actually. Oh well.

You ought to get the Microsoft X 8 SIDEWINDER gaming mouse.... My friend owned the mamba and after I gave him a try of the X-8 he couldn't resist and bought himself one.

The wired-wireless is as seamless as it gets + very convienient sensitivity switching. Comfort is also excellent. I also like the industrial look - personally.

To add to all of that it's $80 dollars, $40 less than your mamba. You should check it out.

Little update.

After using the mouse for a few months, formatting 5-6 times (always xp64), I would not recommend the mouse. I still get occasional hiccups where the mouse stops working for less than a second and sometimes click-hold doesn't register.

I configured another box recently and used my DeathAdder, and it felt ALOT smoother (using firmware without Drift Control). No matter which DPI setting is used on the Mamba, the Deathadder is always smoother and less hickey than the Mamba. I am sure other Mamba users understand what I am talking about. When moving the mouse, you feel that there is a tiny pause between each refresh, which makes the movement very unnatural. I am a fast mover/clicker when it comes to mouse operations, and I still did not get used to the new mouse. I still miss my locations sometimes (we are talking non-moving targets, mostly buttons/windows, not games).

Battery life is also not amazing, having to dock the mouse every day even with moderate usage.

If you buy the mouse, make sure it is from a place where you can return it if not satisfied :)

I will definitely checkout the new X8.

I buy 2012 version.... only problems.... with synapse, with legacy driver, with windows 7,8,10(technical preview.... but... my Logitech G9... works greats...

My first and last razer product....

ah... I set the dock for NO ligth.... and the dock turn ligth on... ALONE... with touch any configuration at all...

horrible product...

Back