My first domain server - Looking for a VPN Firewall

MERKMAN

Limp Gawd
Greetings all. Been playing with computers since I was young. Interests in Wing Commander and Star Wars: Tie Fighter lead to upgrading RAM. Thereafter it was printers, Novell Netware 3.1x, and the first Windows Office products. Later, it was building my own systems, taking MCSE courses, and working toward a networking position with Boeing. But after all that time, I had never had a SCSI Hard Drive based system, never created my own domain server, and never registered such a server for use online. I'm looking to change all that.

I'm planning to start small software wise, with Windows SBS 2003 R2. I borrowed the MS book from work, and it mentioned planning my network before I start. So I'm thinking of getting standard Comcast broadband service, registering my domain name, getting DynDNS and Mail Server routing to make working online possible, and I'd LIKE to be able to VPN into my network.

I've got most of the other hardware, but a good VPN ready unit that I can connect to my computers from work would be great. I'm leaning toward a Netgear FVL328 to pair with my Netgear WGU624. That will allow me to remote connect (I'll get a 5-client Netgear VPN software license), connect wirelessly when at home, etc.).

But I've read the Netgear ProSafe stuff is a BEAR to setup and troubleshoot, due to poor setup and documentation. At the same time, I don't feel I'm ready to spend the money or time configuring a Cisco 3000 concentrator. So what do I REALLY need? I'd love something with SPI protection, licensed VPN access for two or more users, and spam blocking if it were to be available.

Thanks so much for your time. As someone FINALLY breaking down and setting up my first WDC on a Compaq ML350 w/ Dual 733 PIII processors, 1GB RAM, and 4-36.4GB Hard Drives in RAID-5 mode.

a sonicwall tz170 or a netscreen 5XP or 5GT will be great for what you need.

Since money doesn't seem to be much of an issue, go with a PIX 501. The SonicWall TZ170 is a great box too as mentioned, but I like the filtering the PIX does of SMTP commands that will protect the Exchange server a bit better than the SonicWall. Plenty to learn with configuring the PIX too.

You could setup a clarkconnect box or something similar and have a working VPN setup in minutes. All you do is enter the name and password for a user and this is it. Clarkconnect also will do spam and virus filtering for your domain too. IDS and IPS with snort, web proxy with squid, and any other kind of server you would want to run off it. Its a great product, and the most ambitious version 4 will be released in the next few days (hopefully). You can configure the box to run as a router/firewall/gateway or a stand alone server.

Working with Clarkconnect requires no Linux skills since everything is done with a web based GUI just like a Netgear router.

Oh, and they also have a very helpful support forum at their website too.

Digital-Vortex said:
Or use the Windows server, It has VPN support built in

exactly, simplest and most practical solution for a home network. At least you'll learn something that is used in majority of business

Linksys/Cisco RV082 gets my vote...it's what I'm using the most with my clients...even replacing some PIX501s and older Sonicwalls with them. I'm very very pleased with them...very solid units. Some killer new features in a new firmware that's about to come out too. ;)

Or since this is your house...and you like to dork around with 'puters...build a linux router like IPCop w/Copfilter or Endian. :cool: Get some antivirus/antispam filtering features for your server..including mail/SMTP...since it's a transparent proxy.

First of all, thanks to ALL of the above for their replies!!! :cool:

I have continued the search on my own, and contacted my local Cisco Vendor Rep for his assistance. The device name I will share is the Cisco ASA 5505.

This device is being released in Sept., has all the features of a Cisco Pix 501, but includes options such as 2 SSL VPN connections. In short, it's nearly EVERYTHING you could want in a VPN Firewall with security, reliability, and licensing (with the right version).

I'm REALLY looking forward to their release, and though the expected retail is $509 or something... I'm expecting to be able to get one for about $400 through New Egg or some other retail option.

Thanks again to those involved! Let me know what you think!!!

Merk

Back