My first overclock

masaville

Limp Gawd
E6700 to 3.5 GHz, cpu overclock only.

Temps are 43 idle, 48 load.

cpuoverclock.jpg

Totally stable playing C&C Tiberium for 2 hours straight. Very nice.

Man, these E6700s are so overclockable. Is it safe to run this 24/7 on those temps with just a front side bus increase and no voltage change?

Those temps are fine. Are you running a stock cooler? I am not that impressed by your CPU score. My OC'd e6300 got 2660. Can you go higher? Have you test stability with orthos? Yes it is safe, as long the temps stay in check.

Those temps are fine. Are you running a stock cooler? I am not that impressed by your CPU score. My OC'd e6300 got 2660. Can you go higher? Have you test stability with orthos?

I stopped there. It probably goes a lot higher, but I've never done this before so I'm not sure what the ceiling is. It's water cooled. Thread link below.

I got a 20% performance gain though, which was rather nice.

Thats what my 24/7 overclock is. I idle at 40 and load at 48 with 1.437 vCore, which is completely safe. And yes these 6700s are very easy to OC, I got mine to 3.9 stable with load temps in the mid to high 50s. Now OC those GTXs and break 16k.

Is there any reason to change the voltage core if you're stable at 3.6/3.7 GHz without doing so?

No. I just changed the FSB to overclock, not the voltage core on the chip. So I'm wondering if I need to bother messing with the voltage? I presume only if I want to get a higher FSB that's stable.

I see, well if your computer is "stable" then there is no need to change the vcore. Try running orthos for a little to see how your computer reacts. If it fails with in seconds or minutes, then up the vcore one notch at a time till its stable. 3dmark doesnt really stress the cpu as much as orthos does, which is why its good to know if you cpu is stable for daily use at that speed.

thanks for the info. will try that this weekend.

I got it running around 3.6GHz stable with a FSB overclock only, no voltage change. Not a hiccup after several hours of gaming. Temps are up though as it idles at 44/43 and loads around 48, verus 33 and 38. Nice performance increase though with a pair of 8800 GTXs. Very noticable.

Going to try the vid cards and mem on the weekend to see what kind of score I can get.

Back