My 'friend' is thinking about an e6600

Hiltonizer

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't think he should, because I'm AMD all the way... but if an AMD guy like myself went to an e6600 and wanted to overclock somewhat, what kind of motherboard should he get? he's kind of blown away by the prices of motherboards made for duo's, because great AMD boards are usually no more than $100, not this $250 680i crap.

Also, because Intel makes their FSB stuff so confusing and oddly numbered, what RAM should he get? do these intels require it to run 1:1 ? he was hoping to get atleast 3ghz out of an e6600.

The only reason to spend $250 for a motherboard is for SLI. If you're not doing that, you can get by with a Gigabyte DS3, Asus P5B-E, or even the Biostar 965PT. All of those are sub-$150.

I'd get whatever DDR2 800 memory you can afford. You're not going to experience too big of a hit from running a divider. Even at the stock settings, the memory is clocked higher than the bus anyway (1:1 would only be DDR2 533 speed). DDR2 800 memory is often just as cheap as DDR2 667 anyway. Don't worry about the 1:1 ratio.

3Ghz on a E6600 is 333x9. That should easily be attainable by the boards listed above.

if your friends wants to save money you can go with a e6400 if he wants, can save up to $100 i've see..not mcuh diff between 2 and 4 mb L2 performance or so i've seen. And then go with a 965 chipset a cheaper board as there only 800 fsb same as the e6400. That should save you a bundle if your not planning on the little extra power from the e6600 and are not Ocing that much.

the Asus P5N-E seems to be a nice fit as far as price goes, especially after reading the [H] review.. also stumbled upon some Kingston HyperX DDR2-900 for a nominal premium over reputable DDR2-800

any objections?

I've built 2 systems on the P5N-E, its a very solid board so far. Easiest overclocker I've ever had. No worries about ram dividers, the board can do it for you automatically! Just make sure you get the -E version with the 650i chipset and not the older P5N with the 570 chipset.

a gigabyte ds-3 or a asus p5n-e-sli with a core2 e-4300 with the 9x multi should make for a great overclocker for the money . the e-4300's should be headed down in price to around $160-$130ish . so with a p5n-e-sli for around $130 you could build a decent over clocking core 2 rig for $260+ the price of the ram . if you don't need sli a 965p could do the same --maybe for a bit less even .:eek: :cool:

I don't think he should, because I'm AMD all the way... but if an AMD guy like myself went to an e6600 and wanted to overclock somewhat, what kind of motherboard should he get? he's kind of blown away by the prices of motherboards made for duo's, because great AMD boards are usually no more than $100, not this $250 680i crap.

Also, because Intel makes their FSB stuff so confusing and oddly numbered, what RAM should he get? do these intels require it to run 1:1 ? he was hoping to get atleast 3ghz out of an e6600.

I consider myself an AMD fanb0y however Intel well and truly won this round, the biggest driving factor with their CPU's is that for games which are mostly written for single core the X2 range don't seem to stand a chance, the benchmarks for single core use put my 4000+ at the same speed as a 4800+ (at least when I chose it)

Right now you're just being stubborn if you don't go for an Intel system, not only do they crush the AMD's but they also overclock like there's no tomorrow. I can't remember a time when price vs performance was so good, probably even beats the XP 2500 for it's time (if anyone remembers how much that bad boy owned)

You don't have to expensive boards although I did notice the RAID version of the P5B was rather expensive compared to the RAID variants of AMD boards.

As for Intel CPU's and their RAM being complicated, nothing even close to the AMD 64 range, overclocking those was a real pain in the arse.

Back