My future rig: What PSU do I need?

DaveKap

n00b
A8V Deluxe
ATi Radeon x800 Pro VIVO (Sapphire)
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (939-pin)
2 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM
Couple of average hard drives, about 1-2 years old.

So what wattage should my power supply be? Thanks in advance.

Uhhh I somehow don't think I need 550watts... and I especially don't think I need a $100 PSU...

I think I'll re-ask my question:
What wattage PSU do I need to have?

Thanks guys but seriously, I'm not that much of a hardware enthusiast, I just buy the essentials. The $30 400 watt simple power supply from newegg would be what I purchase, but I need to know what my hardware needs as far as wattage goes. Do I need 500watt+ or can I get by with just 400?

Somone mentioned antec psus....I have had nothing but trouble with antecs. And I have used a lot (unfortunately). I personally think that enermax makes a better unit, and by the looks of it, you will need at least a 420, though I would go with more for the future. Now I do not have first hand experiences with the mod-right x connects being sold at frozen cpu, but I have heard they are great and I am in love with the idea of a segmented PSU. I REALLY hate cable clutter and the mod-right may be the way to go. Also as for price, dont skimp, people dont realize that the PSU, Monitor, Mouse and KB are the most used components...and heavily relied upon components. If you get a cheap PSU, your system will be less stable, the components will not last as much and your OC attemps will suck.

M

Mysogonist said:
Also as for price, dont skimp, people dont realize that the PSU, Monitor, Mouse and KB are the most used components...and heavily relied upon components. If you get a cheap PSU, your system will be less stable, the components will not last as much and your OC attemps will suck.
M

And if it's a cheap one that's too weak for your system, it might die in a particularly splendid manner that wakes up the neighbors and takes out the rest of your computer with it!

Okay, I didn't want to have to embarrass myself like this, but I am not overclocking I am only using stock speeds. Hell, the A8V review that [H] did even says not to OC with the board.

So, nobody knows what speed PSU my hardware needs huh? Just "spend more and you'll have less chance of things blowing up"?

Power requirements have jumped a bit recently, hence the type of recommendations you get here. Try to stay away from aspire psu's because the verdict is still out on them imho, i haven't heard much praise about it either.

The sticky will answer purchasing questions http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

DaveKap said:
Okay, I didn't want to have to embarrass myself like this, but I am not overclocking I am only using stock speeds. Hell, the A8V review that [H] did even says not to OC with the board.

So, nobody knows what speed PSU my hardware needs huh? Just "spend more and you'll have less chance of things blowing up"?

I think you are fine with the 400. I've had my machine for a while now, and whenever I upgrade components I usually have to upgrade the PSU. Either it goes out, due to the need for the power increase, or from being overworked. I started with a 400, it blew. Note, nothing else in my PC was damaged. I bought a cheap 425. Upgraded. It blew. Note, nothing else in my PC was damaged. I ordered a cheap 450 yesterday. It is a much easier hit to the wallet, if your $35 dollar PSU needs to be replaced than if your $120 PSU needs to be replaced. Oh, and by the way, the 400 that I started with, it was one of those high end ones, and it blew in the same amount of time as my roommate's bargain bin 400.

Back