my i5 3570K oc like crap + other related questions

Nicolas554

Limp Gawd
Lot of people seem to be able to OC their 3570k very easily, they get about 4.4 or 4.5 with 1.20v.....

So i decided to try mine. with 1.20v, 4.5ghz BSOD loading windows, and 4.4ghz freeze once windows is loaded....

Did i get a shit OCing chip ? (thinking about returning it to newegg.)

Now i decided to just stress my system in prime95 with everything stock. And i have a couple of questions.

When i start prime95 blend, CPU-Z and RealTemp show the CPU speed @ 3.6ghz, with a Vcore of 1.144v. Why is it @ 3.6ghz ? Should'nt it be at 3.8ghz under load (with turbo boost) ?

When i try to manually set my RAM to 1600mhz in the BIOS (my ram is supposed to run @ 1600mhz, so its not an OC), instead of 1333MHZ, the vocre of the CPU idle (in CPU-Z) jump to 1.24v !!!!!! and 1.20v when under load in prime95 !!! Why is there such a jump of the Vcore on the cpu when i set my RAM to 1600 instead of 1333 ?? It doesn't make any sense.....

Thx for help

Last edited:
Yes, your CPU comes from weaker wafers and it wont OC good anyhow, the thing is, you are not able to return your CPU because overclocking capabilities are not covered by warranty and for a second, with any overclocking your are voiding your warranty. The only possibility where you get warranty coverage is intel performance tuning plan, but that only replaces your CPU when it is vastly damaged by overclocking, not having less OC potential.

Lot of people seem to be able to OC their 3570k very easily, they get about 4.4 or 4.5 with 1.20v.....

So i decided to try mine. with 1.20v, 4.5ghz BSOD loading windows, and 4.4ghz freeze once windows is loaded....

Did i get a shit OCing chip ? (thinking about returning it to newegg.)

Now i decided to just stress my system in prime95 with everything stock. And i have a couple of questions.

When i start prime95 blend, CPU-Z and RealTemp show the CPU speed @ 3.6ghz, with a Vcore of 1.144v. Why is it @ 3.6ghz ? Should'nt it be at 3.8ghz under load (with turbo boost) ?

When i try to manually set my RAM to 1600mhz in the BIOS (my ram is supposed to run @ 1600mhz, so its not an OC), instead of 1333MHZ, the vocre of the CPU idle (in CPU-Z) jump to 1.24v !!!!!! and 1.20v when under load in prime95 !!! Why is there such a jump of the Vcore on the cpu when i set my RAM to 1600 instead of 1333 ?? It doesn't make any sense.....

Thx for help

I dont see in your sig what cooler you are running? Stock?
Also you might have to bump up voltage and/or vdroop for your chip, since they are not all the same.

I'm using a xigmatek darknight and MX-2 paste.

I'm currently testing 4.3 with 1.256 vcore. Hopefully it will be fully stable. MAYBE i can get 4.4 with 1.30v. I don't wanna go over 1.30v.

I'm extremely disappointed :( Most ppl can get 4.4 with 1.20v !!!! I hate being unlucky, and now i'm f''''''''' stuck with this chip. :(

I'm using a xigmatek darknight and MX-2 paste.

I'm currently testing 4.3 with 1.256 vcore. Hopefully it will be fully stable. MAYBE i can get 4.4 with 1.30v. I don't wanna go over 1.30v.

I'm extremely disappointed :( Most ppl can get 4.4 with 1.20v !!!! I hate being unlucky, and now i'm f''''''''' stuck with this chip. :(

I'll give you $10 for it...If it works @ stock I'm happy.

I'll give you $10 for it...If it works @ stock I'm happy.

lol 10$ ?

At this point i think i'll just run it with high voltage and when it dies in 6 months or so, it can rest in peace. Then for 230$ new i'll just buy another one.

cpu vll voltage?

CPU PLL is auto = 1.81

turbo boost is on ( it has to be on to change the CPU multi to 40x etc ?)
LLC is set to auto
CPU spread spectrum is disabled
C1 state, c3 c6, is off
speedstep is off

I set LLC to auto cause i find that the Vcore that cpu-z give is closer to the vcore in the bios. (Ex 1.25 in the BIOS and 1.256 in cpu-z). When LLC is set to max, the voltage in cpu-z is higher ( 1.25 in BIOS and 1.288 or so in cpu-z).

mine requires 1.26 @ load to be stable at 4.4ghz. 4.5+ requires 1.3+. I dont see what's wrong with yours.
I re-read your post and it sounds like a motherboard problem. Have you tried updating your bios and leaving all power saving features at auto?

After trying many settings and tweaking, the best it can do is 4.3 with 1.288 vcore, prime (blend) stable, 80c max temp.

I already have an RMA going on with newegg, have to pay a restocking fee of 15%, but thats ok, i don't wanna keep this chip, i'd have to be VERY unlucky to get a worst one.

4.7ghz @ 1.3 vcore 76c max temp under intel burn test. around 67c under prime95 for 8 hours.

I could probably drop the vcore a little bit to get a little cooler but haven't tried yet.

Currently running an H100 but getting a full custom loop built this weekend and will be trying for 4.8,4.9, and maybe 5.0 depending on how hot it gets with the vcore raised up more.

what helped me to get past 4.5 was to drop the pll from 1.8 to 1.6

After trying many settings and tweaking, the best it can do is 4.3 with 1.288 vcore, prime (blend) stable, 80c max temp.

I already have an RMA going on with newegg, have to pay a restocking fee of 15%, but thats ok, i don't wanna keep this chip, i'd have to be VERY unlucky to get a worst one.

Excellent job there genius, you are a prime reason places like Newegg are letting customer service and easy returns go down the drain.

Nevermind the fact that you'll never notice the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 GHz - go ahead, you're entitled to waste the rest of the world's cash :rolleyes:

Excellent job there genius, you are a prime reason places like Newegg are letting customer service and easy returns go down the drain.

Nevermind the fact that you'll never notice the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 GHz - go ahead, you're entitled to waste the rest of the world's cash :rolleyes:

Well, it's not just the difference between 4.3 and 4.5 ghz, it's aso the fact that most 3570k should run 4.3 with 1.20v and not 1.30v, which make a pretty considerable difference in heat and longitivity.

Second, i'm also changing for an i7 3770k.

Third, i bought for around 3000$ of hardware from newegg in the past few months for different builds (mobos, cpus, gpus, memory, etc), they made an exception for me.

Finally, stfu calling me a ''genius'' and try to show ppl some respect.

Well, people returning perfectly functional CPUs to try to get one that clocks higher is one of the main reasons stores have to implement the restocking fee on CPUs, and other things in general.

And what you believe (emphasis on believe) should happen has absolutely no bearing on reality.

i think you're mistaken it with 2550k that has the igp disabled.

i read that you can oc those up to 4.5ghz with just 1.20v

So I've been hunting around for stats and looking for a longevity answer. There doesn't seem to be any definitive 'normal' voltage range I can find for the 3570K and intel themselves recommend a VCORE of 1.3-1.45 on air cooling: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ing-Guide-(Extreme-LN2-Section-Guide-Included)
They might be overestimating their chips a bit because I feel like 1.3v is a pretty moderate voltage but I'm not sure with IB.

Here are my current numbers:

3570K - Asus P8Z77-I
4.367Ghz, Bus 104, Multiplier 42
VCORE max 1.240v (on start-up it says 1.288v though)
Offset mode +.090
Prime95 temps of 80c max (sustained stress max of 76c)

RAM: SAMSUNG 30nm MV-3V4G3D/US
1941.2Mhz 9-9-9-24-1T 1.43v

Could it be said that this is safe for the long term?

One odd thing I note; when stress testing and using chrome simultaneously, the shockwave plugin seems to keep failing. Other times I've had chrome crash all together while stressing. I take the crash as a sign of instability, but is shockwave crashing a sign as well?

OP, which board were you using for the 3570k?

Pardon me if I missed it.

My 3570k (now decommsioned) went to 4.5 @ 1.2v but only under a push/pull Corsair h100.

One odd thing I note; when stress testing and using chrome simultaneously, the shockwave plugin seems to keep failing. Other times I've had chrome crash all together while stressing. I take the crash as a sign of instability, but is shockwave crashing a sign as well?

If it doesn't do it at stock, then I've always taken that as instability. I get exactly this as well - It'll pass hours of so called stress tests but if I use chrome or powerpoint as well these sometimes crash, especially flash on lovefilm.

My 3570 doesn't do over 4.3 no matter what I adjust (vcore upto 1.28v iirc), but I always thought that's because I was daft and bought a very basic mobo with no llc or pll adjust (msi g43 z77). I've always suspected that people with less fantastic overclocks tend to be less public with them so the perceived average is greater than the real average.

If it doesn't do it at stock, then I've always taken that as instability. I get exactly this as well - It'll pass hours of so called stress tests but if I use chrome or powerpoint as well these sometimes crash, especially flash on lovefilm.

My 3570 doesn't do over 4.3 no matter what I adjust (vcore upto 1.28v iirc), but I always thought that's because I was daft and bought a very basic mobo with no llc or pll adjust (msi g43 z77). I've always suspected that people with less fantastic overclocks tend to be less public with them so the perceived average is greater than the real average.

So I actually didn't even use it long enough on stock to see if the shockwave crash is due to the OC. I've been using it for two days at 4.3 and a max VCore of 1.224 with no issues. I did try tweaking my RAM timings and that didn't work out as well.

The real question I have is if a VCore of 0.98 - 1.22 poses any danger to the CPU in the long run. If I let the mobo do whatever it wants (totally stock) it shoots the Vore around from .98 to 1.32. No idea what Asus is thinking, or maybe they actually know better. Regardless, I'm hoping to get a good five years out of this thing then pass it on to a kid or something. I can't find an answer as to whether my, I'm gessing over voltage clock, is gonna cause problems.

So I've been hunting around for stats and looking for a longevity answer. There doesn't seem to be any definitive 'normal' voltage range I can find for the 3570K and intel themselves recommend a VCORE of 1.3-1.45 on air cooling

That does seem a bit high, I've been running my 3570k at 4.6ghz with only 1.2v.

I cant imagine an air cooler that would cool this little furnace of a cpu when you put 1.45v through it.

I don't see anythign particularily wrong with your OC. Sounds like you focused on reading some of the better OC's people have achienved and automatically thought you'd get an over-achieving CPU. Your CPU is not a bad overclocker, it's an average one. If you get another one, chances are, it will be an average one too.

For IB, once you go past 4.2-4.3, most (average) CPU's are going to need some form of LLC, I personally don't go above the lowest setting. Also, you should enable Internal PLL Overvoltage. This isn't the same as PLL voltage.

That does seem a bit high, I've been running my 3570k at 4.6ghz with only 1.2v.

I cant imagine an air cooler that would cool this little furnace of a cpu when you put 1.45v through it.

I don't understand how so many people are running 4.6ghz at 1.2v and I can't get past 4-4.1ghz with 1.2v. I really just want the max clock for stock voltages. From reading everything I can find, that seems to be 4.2-4.3ghz on sub 1.2v.

I'm currently at 1.224v max (Offset +.050) at 4.2ghz. PLL is off and LLC is auto. If I reduce the offset even 0.005, things start going wrong. What am I not doing?

LLC set to auto may be making your Vcore drop way to low when your chip is under load.

Set your LLC to something in the middle ( I have mine @ 3 ), and see what you get.

Have you thought about deliding your 3570k? Seems people can drop temps quite a bit doing that, and even more if you are doing a custom loop.

You're probably going to get real disappointed with your replacement chips. These chips aren't that robust and a lot of the higher overclocks require a lot of tweaking and cooling.

I have mine at 4.1 and everything is default but if I change to 4.2, bios locks up.. Never really got around to playing around w/ settings..

Luck of the draw always but might be a setting, you need to disclose more info. Set your ram volts to 1.35v or alittle more.

Who are you responding to? The OP has 1.5v ram

Ignoring his sig and judging from his initial post, it appeared to be lower volt ram. Perhaps the way he worded it or I interpreted it but since it's 1.5v ram then he should try stock and a hair more than that.

Perhaps because I am 43 and not a hardcore gamer, I am more focused on stability and CPU temperature than max OC. I have my 2600k at 4.2 GHz, and it idles in the mid 20s C and maxes in the 50s under load. And it is rock solid and blazing fast with my 240GB SSD. I had it @ 4.4 GHz prior, and it was stable except for it would kick out of sleep mode every now and then. That drove me crazy, so I lowered the OC to 4.2 GHz. I didn't notice any difference in speed 4.2 vs 4.4. I think some of you stress out over a non-issue (there is little if any real-world difference in .2GHz). Just enjoy your incredibly fast PC and don't worry if someone else has a little higher OC. That is my advice.

I am exactly like you RamonGTP. I only have one fan on my Scythe Mugen2, and my rig is QUIET! That is one of the most important qualities in a PC for me.

Last edited:
Perhaps because I am 43 and not a hardcore gamer, I am more focused on stability and CPU temperature than max OC. I have my 2600k at 4.2 GHz, and it idles in the mid 20s C and maxes in the 50s under load. And it is rock solid and blazing fast with my 240GB SSD. I had it @ 4.4 GHz prior, and it was stable except for it would kick out of sleep mode every now and then. That drove me crazy, so I lowered the OC to 4.2 GHz. I didn't notice any difference in speed 4.2 vs 4.4. I think some of you stress out over a non-issue (there is little if any real-world difference in .2GHz). Just enjoy your incredibly fast PC and don't worry if someone else has a little higher OC. That is my advice.

4.2 is what I settled on for my 3770k for those same reasons. At my current voltage I can pass all my stress tests at 4.3GHz, but dropped it down 100MHz to have that extra stability cushion. Most important factors to me are stability and quite operation. Temps for me simply need to be acceptable, I don't try overly hard to have the coolest possible temps. In fact, I may remove the 2nd (pull) fan from my HSF and disconnect a case fan simply because my temps would still be fine and I'd have a noticeably quieter machine

I was able to achieve 4.5ghz on my 3570k @1.295v (cpu-z and Asus AI suite both show 1.296v), and I am more than happy. Sure, some chips can hit higher on less voltage, but I have no need.

Using a Maximus V Gene motherboard, and a Hyper 212 Evo HSF.

Hmm, I was going to start a thread and complain about my 3570k running @4.5 with 1.28V, but I guess I'm not the only one with an unlucky pick of a batch. I spent yesterday trying to figure out why my games were crashing after about an hour or so only to realize that 1.26V wasn't quite enough... Guess I haven't gamed enough since I built this system last summer to realize it.

I have the Sabertooth Z77, LLC set to Extreme, offset +0.020 Vcore. RAM's at 1.5V. Haven't messed with many of the other settings, left them all at Auto otherwise.

Oh really? Not completely sure to be honest, from what I read I thought that it prevented V droop. I was experiencing a lot of that until I bumped LLC up. Haven't tried bringing it down since.

It does prevent vdroop, but LLC that high actually OVER-compensates so what the end user ends up doing is lowering their voltage, this causes voltage to be TOO low at no/low/moderate loads which often times leads to instability. Having some vdroop is not really an issue and is actually called for in Intel's spec. I don't run any LLC but if i did, it wouldn't be any higher than one level above off.

Back