My incredible giant home racing simulator

rapapar

n00b
Hello All,

(I'm french sorry for bad english)
I want to show you my new crazy installation.
It is 3 videoprojectors with 120 frames per second and G force motion.
The big projected picture is real world scalled, it is very reallistic.
One of my friend is rally real driver, he tried my setup and also think it's crazy realistic.

Go on my youtube channel to see it in motion:
http://www.youtube.com/user/rapapar54

arrierecomplet1.jpg

2012-01-31%2014.45.14.jpg.jpeg

hardware list:

Antec HCG 900W
ASUS SABERTOOTH P67
Intel i5 sb @4.8Ghz
Zalman CNPS10X Performa
HD 7970 oc @1200Ghz
G.Skill RipJaws (4x 2 Go) 12800
INTEL X25-M
Raid0 Western Digital Caviar Blue ATA 6Gb/s
RME HDSP 9632

3xHD5360(3D 120hz)
CSW formula & GT
CSR Elite
TH8RS
GS-105 seat
ButtkickerV2
sono
Razer Megalodon
Focal CMS 50 & Focal CMS SUB

It costs near of 6000$ us...

6k and you have your pc on a plastic deck chair??

but really, that's a bad ass setup. What's the price tag on those projectors?

Nice. Next step is experimenting with hydraulic actuators, I assume? Then profit! Neighbor kids will pay to use it.

shifty68,
I make a special hard table in black now, it's look better :)
500€ each projector

spaceman,
don't be jalous lol
for sound I use high end RME card (because I'm musisian) on a sono, the razer is pretty good too but I use it for tchat and spotter listening while driving.

Spidey329,
the actuator was my first choice, but the geko appli direclty forces on your back, it is more reallistic and more immersive than to have your seat moved

That looks like it works very well. At first I thought the projectors wouldn't work that well, but looks pretty good in the video. I'm not generally a racing guy, but that looks pretty fun. Good job.

Looks kinda ghetto at the moment, but. I was always a function over form type of guy. Hopefully the cost of replacing the bulbs won't prohibit you from jazzin it up some more :cool:

Amazing setup :eek:. I'm surprised it didn't require multi GPU to power all those pixels

Great setup I would have bought a better mouse and keyboard and table/desk and spruced the setup a bit more before posting pictures but thats just me. Looks like a ton of fun though.

$6000 and you use a Razer Megalodon for sound?

lol

Actually if he is like me, once you get something up and running you are so excited you put off sensible stuff like that. :D

Very cool setup. Hell, one projector and GT5 if f-ing amazing, this is just over the top.

The components are nice and everything but it's hard to imagine someone spending $6000 on a setup like that and not making it look nicer. I mean, the wooden frame the projectors are on look really gerry rigged as does the surfaces you are projecting onto. Computer case on a plastic chair... which you're basically resting your ~$700 system on a $10 plastic chair.

Don't get me wrong though, the components are great and the idea is great but the execution is very poor and I wouldn't leave it like that at all. It could be my OCD talking, but it really needs to be cleaned up. I just like a very clean setup myself and i'm very much a minimalist.

Like, this makes more sense to me. Little cleaner setup and more efficient with space for the most part. I wouldn't have done projectors at all, but that's just me.

diablo.jpg

I would have personally done this:

multi-monitor-setup-1.jpg

Or if that's not big enough for you, do this...

multi-monitor-setup-2.jpg

Last edited:
in fact, in the 6000$ you can count 2000$ for gs-105 motion seat and 1500 for my computer
so no more money to make it with better loocking, and while driving, don't see the wood unpaint of the installation, just feel its big weight and strongness

I use a high end mouse to play battlefield3 on this 3 screens
full 120fps too, but limiting - no Vsync to have very low input lag (DLP projectors have less lag than LCD screens)
you can see my stats, rapapar soldier, I'm really price shooter and I need real 120fps to do it
I just order 3D glasses to play bf3 with AMDHD3D feature but I don't think it can work on the 3 screen because each one has its own refresch sync... I think... If someone can follow what I said and help... would be nice

Pretty cool, I'd like to set something up like this one day, though I will admit, by the time the budget gets above $6k I can't help but think "hrm, I could buy a new engine for my real car for that". :p

Pretty cool, I'd like to set something up like this one day, though I will admit, by the time the budget gets above $6k I can't help but think "hrm, I could buy a new engine for my real car for that". :p

This looks cool for sure, but for $6K, I agree, I'd rather spend the cash on a real car.

Off-topic a bit, but I sure hope it's some kind of worthy classic muscle car you'd be dropping $6K on, not some beat up old piece of junk, because $6K can be a serious down payment on a nice new car. ;)

My setup is similar but with Optoma GT720 projectors and SLI'd 680's. The projectors are short throw and just sit on a table in front of me so I didn't need to build a stand to mount them behind me. I'm surprised more people haven't done this. I'm looking forward to HDMI 2.0 ... my setup but with 120Hz 1080p projectors would be perfect.

My setup is similar but with Optoma GT720 projectors and SLI'd 680's. The projectors are short throw and just sit on a table in front of me so I didn't need to build a stand to mount them behind me. I'm surprised more people haven't done this. I'm looking forward to HDMI 2.0 ... my setup but with 120Hz 1080p projectors would be perfect.

Pics? I'd like to see the set up you speak about. I recently started reading up on projector gaming set ups and very curious.

Epic setup is epic......the women don't like the decor it seems though lmfao

OP you have an amazing setup and I bet you have lots of fun racing! Don't listen to the people who want you to make it look nicer, you have your priorities right!

One question I've been curious about with these projector setups - what's the heat like in the room?

Pics? I'd like to see the set up you speak about. I recently started reading up on projector gaming set ups and very curious.

Pics are in post #6 in this thread.

Doesn't quite do it justice since the pics are taken with an old iPhone but you get the idea.

The room that houses my setup isn't so much a room but rather a corner of an open concept loft with 16 foot ceilings. Heat isn't really an issue. The projectors I've chosen exhaust out the front towards the screen (away from me) which probably helps too.

Most recent YouTube BF:BC2 upload:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcvLKRW73w

Last edited:
Pics are in post #6 in this thread.

Doesn't quite do it justice since the pics are taken with an old iPhone but you get the idea.

The room that houses my setup isn't so much a room but rather a corner of an open concept loft with 16 foot ceilings. Heat isn't really an issue. The projectors I've chosen exhaust out the front towards the screen (away from me) which probably helps too.

Most recent YouTube BF:BC2 upload:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcvLKRW73w

In that YT video you say you were banned from that server. What was the reason of the ban?

In that YT video you say you were banned from that server. What was the reason of the ban?

The admin thought I was cheating (aimbot or wallhacking or whatever). I take screen shots or pics with my phone of each ban/kick I've received (sorta like a trophy cabinet) Usually they're just temp bans but one admin was pretty convinced I was cheating and issued a Punkbuster Permanent ban on their server for my GUID - I'm still banned there. Most clans are pretty reasonable and I can convince them of my legitimacy by going on their forum and posting links to some of my videos.

I'm not cheating but my hardware configuration is definitely an advantage. I have about 1500 hours in that game and my clan played it competitively for a brief period. In BC2 I'm usually the best player on the server. If you play Conquest at around 10pm PST then you've probably played with me. My soldier name is Haemato.

Last night's games were pretty terrible. I managed to squeak out a 1:1 K/D ratio and my team won but there at least one guy on the other team who was better than me. Much cursing occurred ...

Last edited:
Okay, so basically your set up is helping you play better and so the others think you must be cheating to play so well? Funny how they ban you based just on assumption. I could see if you were using some proggie and they detected it but they just figure your so good you have to be cheating. Nice... LOL

Btw, love your set up. Thanks for sharing. :)

Thats not too bad, if it was me making it I would do a few things differently. But I'm also a simulator technician so I look at it from a different perspective.

My goal is eventually make my own personal flight/racing simulator. I also hope to get a dome, for my setup. The curved surface adds a little depth to the image and can the edge blending look better.

Last edited:
Back